Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

There are 4 schools here and I only want one so got in early. I've put Cole's name down for nursery which then puts him on the list for school when he's 4. He'll start half day nursery January 2017 :eek:

Iv bit my h clue really what the rules are as regards how the list is formed. I know it's kids in catchment area. N siblings in the school already. After that iv no idea... If I cud fiddle the address I would but they post the stuff out so I'd need an address

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but here goes...

Moses basket - yay or nae?

We are getting a brand new cot issued to us from the Barrack Warden which is great, otherwise I'd have wanted to buy one of my own, but wondering whether it's worth starting with a moses basket? From what I read baby doesn't stay in it for very long, maybe 3 months, so I'm not sure if it's worth it, or do we just start with the cot in our room?

Positives and negatives to both would be appreciated.

We have a carry cot with our pram which we will likely use for naps downstairs.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but here goes...

Moses basket - yay or nae?

We are getting a brand new cot issued to us from the Barrack Warden which is great, otherwise I'd have wanted to buy one of my own, but wondering whether it's worth starting with a moses basket? From what I read baby doesn't stay in it for very long, maybe 3 months, so I'm not sure if it's worth it, or do we just start with the cot in our room?

Positives and negatives to both would be appreciated.

We have a carry cot with our pram which we will likely use for naps downstairs.
Again, it really does depend on baby... We had a moses basket n she loved it from the start... some leave baby to sleep in it during the day and then bring it up to bed with them at night.. For us, she slept in the carry cot of her pram in the day n the basket at night... this way she was learning the difference between day n night from the get go...
I have known babies that just don't like the moses basket at all so its been a waste of money..
Not really helpful I know...
We loved ours but even though Éabha was "small" she only got about 3.5 - 4 months from it as she was banging the sides n waking herself up...

I think we only used our Moses basket for 5 weeks then we moved the cot into our room. Thomas didn't like it and would have been able to see better through the bars of the cot. X

Ben wouldn't sleep in moses at all, we had a crib in the room and he slept in the pram carry cot in the day x

We had a Moses basket, a crib and a cot. Cole slept in the Moses basket until he was 10 weeks then the crib until nearly 5 months then the cot.

Hmm, I'm thinking maybe a Moses basket isn't the way to go... Hadn't really considered a crib, might look into that - not sure how easy it will be to get one out here without paying a fortune tho. Have just seen someone selling a second hand Moses basket locally for €60 which I thought was a bit expensive. She said she paid €120 new for it though. Still seems like a potential waste of money!

We had a Moses basket but we only used it for about 10 ish weeks as my boy was just too long for it and needs the room!
He's now 17 weeks and loves his cot as he can move about and roll onto his side!
If we have a 2nd I think we would start with the cot from the beginning.
Moses basket was a gift from MIL so didn't cost us anything :)
Never used the carrycot that came with our pram as he was just too long for it!
He used to sleep in his bouncy chair during the day as it was the only place he'd settle.
He now has naps in his cot with no problems x

That does seem alot for a moses basket! Shes only two weeks but we use moses basket every day. We have a crib in our room, i couldn't be bothered carrying the moses basket up and down stairs! I like how i can pop the basket on the floor near the couch if i sleep in the day and i can see her, but i suppose you can do that with a carry cot part of a pram.

Hmm, I'm thinking maybe a Moses basket isn't the way to go... Hadn't really considered a crib, might look into that - not sure how easy it will be to get one out here without paying a fortune tho. Have just seen someone selling a second hand Moses basket locally for €60 which I thought was a bit expensive. She said she paid €120 new for it though. Still seems like a potential waste of money!
€60 is allot for a second hand moses basket I would think... You have to then get a matress for it too.. So really, if you were getting one I'd get new...
I would definitely recommend a crib, rather than moses basket.. As its not too huge where baby will look lost, and you'll get some good use from it.. And then its such a huge transition to the cot.. Altho we had no issues, some do...
Another thing I'd do differently is to not spend a fortune on a travel system.. I do love my pram but its such an ordeal to fold and put in and out of the car.. With mine you have to take the carrycot/pram part off to fold and put them into the boot separately.. While on leave and only doing it maybe once r twice a week it was grand.. but dropping and collecting Éabha now daily its a pain.. So we've gone and bought a buggy that has a full recline and its so much easier...
People had said this to me when I was pregnant but I knew better... :-/ Regretting it now...

That does seem alot for a moses basket! Shes only two weeks but we use moses basket every day. We have a crib in our room, i couldn't be bothered carrying the moses basket up and down stairs! I like how i can pop the basket on the floor near the couch if i sleep in the day and i can see her, but i suppose you can do that with a carry cot part of a pram.
Tink how is your little bundle? How are you? Recovering well? x

EUR60 is allot for a second hand moses basket I would think... You have to then get a matress for it too.. So really, if you were getting one I'd get new... I would definitely recommend a crib, rather than moses basket.. As its not too huge where baby will look lost, and you'll get some good use from it.. And then its such a huge transition to the cot.. Altho we had no issues, some do... Another thing I'd do differently is to not spend a fortune on a travel system.. I do love my pram but its such an ordeal to fold and put in and out of the car.. With mine you have to take the carrycot/pram part off to fold and put them into the boot separately.. While on leave and only doing it maybe once r twice a week it was grand.. but dropping and collecting Éabha now daily its a pain.. So we've gone and bought a buggy that has a full recline and its so much easier... People had said this to me when I was pregnant but I knew better... :-/ Regretting it now... Tink how is your little bundle? How are you? Recovering well? x

Same with the pram , realised i can not put the base in myself its too heavy and if the whole prams in we cant take my step daughter out as theres no room. Im looking for a second hand one now just to keep in the car think iv looked at a loola? Seems to fold down nice. What have you gone for?

Im still sore which is getting me down, end up crying on hubby most nights which makes me feel guilty that im being miserable!! My anti inflametries ran out and i called the doc for more as ibuprofen not helping. Midwife coming today so will be brave and tell her, iv been bleeding lots over last few days too, i haven't had much since birth.
Apart from that i love having my little baby, Brookes growing so quick it seems, shes not as fragile and tiny ha ha x

Same with the pram , realised i can not put the base in myself its too heavy and if the whole prams in we cant take my step daughter out as theres no room. Im looking for a second hand one now just to keep in the car think iv looked at a loola? Seems to fold down nice. What have you gone for?

Im still sore which is getting me down, end up crying on hubby most nights which makes me feel guilty that im being miserable!! My anti inflametries ran out and i called the doc for more as ibuprofen not helping. Midwife coming today so will be brave and tell her, iv been bleeding lots over last few days too, i haven't had much since birth.
Apart from that i love having my little baby, Brookes growing so quick it seems, shes not as fragile and tiny ha ha x
Joie Brisk Stroller - Starburst - Pushchairs
This is the one I got.. its cheap n cheerful.. really light and lovely to push..
It was bought to leave in her grandparents to save having to bundle it back and forward every night but I'd be more than happy with it as a main pram... the only thing is she's forward facing and while she loves that, being a nosey little madame, I miss her little face looking at me.. but as I said.. its a second pram so when strolling to the shops or anything I still use the main pram :D

I know they really do grow fast don't they?! Everyone says this but you never realise just how fast til you've had your baby n weeks go by in a flash..

Don't feel guilty hun.. its completely normal.. I was really sore and tender for a good 2 weeks before it started easing.. And I didn't have an episiotomy.. I did tear but it wasn't a bad tear.. I did have 10 stitches but they healed well n with no issues.. it does get on top of you sometimes though..
Brooke is such a beautiful name.. Are you giving her a middle name?

Girls, a girl on my Irish thread has just shared this recipe for finger food/lunch for weaners...

Flourless Peanut butter & banana muffins

1 cup peanut butter
2 ripe bananas mashes
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 whole eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180 & prepare muffin tin with 12 paper cases
Combine all ingredients in bowl & mix until smooth
Bake for 15mins until firm & lightly golden
Leave to cool for 15mins before removing from muffin tin

They are lovely & moist & full of goodness!

€60 is allot for a second hand moses basket I would think... You have to then get a matress for it too.. So really, if you were getting one I'd get new...
I would definitely recommend a crib, rather than moses basket.. As its not too huge where baby will look lost, and you'll get some good use from it.. And then its such a huge transition to the cot.. Altho we had no issues, some do...
Another thing I'd do differently is to not spend a fortune on a travel system.. I do love my pram but its such an ordeal to fold and put in and out of the car.. With mine you have to take the carrycot/pram part off to fold and put them into the boot separately.. While on leave and only doing it maybe once r twice a week it was grand.. but dropping and collecting Éabha now daily its a pain.. So we've gone and bought a buggy that has a full recline and its so much easier...
People had said this to me when I was pregnant but I knew better... :-/ Regretting it now...

If I get a crib it will likely have to be second hand. We do have Mothercare out here but I've been told it's at least 3x and up to 8x as expensive as the UK! There are a couple of other baby shops but I think they will all be expensive, although I do have to bear in mind I can claim the VAT back... Something to discuss with hubby, although he doesn't really have an opinion one way or another!!

We already bought a Pram/Pushchair second hand. Got the Silvercross Linear Freeway for €120 which I thought was a bit of a bargain, although I'm thinking the hood might be broken, either that or I can't work it out yet!! It does seem quite heavy but during the week hubby has the car at work anyway, so I'll be doing a lot of walking with it and once baby is a bit bigger we may just get a stroller for the car. It will be kept downstairs as well so that won't be an issue. Sure we will be able to sell the pram on at a later date too which is a bonus.

If I get a crib it will likely have to be second hand. We do have Mothercare out here but I've been told it's at least 3x and up to 8x as expensive as the UK! There are a couple of other baby shops but I think they will all be expensive, although I do have to bear in mind I can claim the VAT back... Something to discuss with hubby, although he doesn't really have an opinion one way or another!! We already bought a Pram/Pushchair second hand. Got the Silvercross Linear Freeway for €120 which I thought was a bit of a bargain, although I'm thinking the hood might be broken, either that or I can't work it out yet!! It does seem quite heavy but during the week hubby has the car at work anyway, so I'll be doing a lot of walking with it and once baby is a bit bigger we may just get a stroller for the car. It will be kept downstairs as well so that won't be an issue. Sure we will be able to sell the pram on at a later date too which is a bonus.

We've got the linear freeway, it's lovely. It is quite bulky and 3/4 fills our car boot (we don't have a small boot) so we got a Cosatto Yo! Pushchair for when we go shopping with the car etc. I loved taking Cole out in the pram when he was tiny though, it's a fab pram :)

I hate my pram, I just wanted to pop to the shop with it and I couldn't get it in sit up position so had a little tantrum. I wish I'd have looked around more but I knew I wanted forward and rear facing.

If I get a crib it will likely have to be second hand. We do have Mothercare out here but I've been told it's at least 3x and up to 8x as expensive as the UK! There are a couple of other baby shops but I think they will all be expensive, although I do have to bear in mind I can claim the VAT back... Something to discuss with hubby, although he doesn't really have an opinion one way or another!!

We already bought a Pram/Pushchair second hand. Got the Silvercross Linear Freeway for €120 which I thought was a bit of a bargain, although I'm thinking the hood might be broken, either that or I can't work it out yet!! It does seem quite heavy but during the week hubby has the car at work anyway, so I'll be doing a lot of walking with it and once baby is a bit bigger we may just get a stroller for the car. It will be kept downstairs as well so that won't be an issue. Sure we will be able to sell the pram on at a later date too which is a bonus.
I'm all for getting things like that second hand.. They can be quite expensive to buy new and when you get so little time out of them it makes sense to buy second hand...
I never even looked at where you were from.. Sorry.. just assumed you were in the UK.. Where is Elgin??

Moses basket was a mistake with Oliver. He was never realy comfortable in it and would bash the signs from literally a few weeks. Would advise a crib to be honest.

We have the same problem with the travel system. Think we will get a cheap pushchair for net year when he goes to nursery that can be pushed down and up easily. Asda have a mama and papas one now for £50 which looks good but may get second hand nearer the time.

I'm all for getting things like that second hand.. They can be quite expensive to buy new and when you get so little time out of them it makes sense to buy second hand...
I never even looked at where you were from.. Sorry.. just assumed you were in the UK.. Where is Elgin??

Ooh, just realised I've never updated my location - Elgin is in Scotland, but we are in Cyprus now for the next 3 years ;)

Back