Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Ladies, as many of you know we are having troubles with oliver sleeping at night. Last night I was up every 2 hours with him. Often a drink of water and a dummy is all he needs and then he goes back to sleep but only for a couple of hours. When he cries he wakes himself and starts moving round his cot. We leave him for a bit to see if he will settle himself but it's often clear he won't so go in. My question is what is your bedtime routine? I think we need to change ours up because he keeps falling asleep on the bottle. Also of baby cries in the night do you pick them up? Soothe them in the cot? Thanks xxx

Ladies, as many of you know we are having troubles with oliver sleeping at night. Last night I was up every 2 hours with him. Often a drink of water and a dummy is all he needs and then he goes back to sleep but only for a couple of hours. When he cries he wakes himself and starts moving round his cot. We leave him for a bit to see if he will settle himself but it's often clear he won't so go in. My question is what is your bedtime routine? I think we need to change ours up because he keeps falling asleep on the bottle. Also of baby cries in the night do you pick them up? Soothe them in the cot? Thanks xxx

Our routine starts at tea time. Cole has his tea at approx 5pm which usually takes us up to 5.30pm. I try to get him to have a bit of chill out time after tea so we sit and read or play with his jigsaws. At 6.30pm we go upstairs and he plays in his bedroom while I run his bath (bathroom is opposite his room so I can see & hear him). I let him tell me when he's ready to get out of the bath, some days he's in 5 minutes, others 15. I wrap in his his towels and we go downstairs. Give his hair a quick run but he hates me drying him so I make sure the room is warm then let him crawl around to air dry. I moisturise him then let him dry again. He hates getting dressed so I do it in stages. Nappy, then let him play, pj's, play etc. Then he has his bottle but usually only takes about 3oz, sometimes 5. After his bottle he has half a jar of baby rice pudding then we put him in his sleeping bag and cuddle on the settee. We watch baby tv and he knows which program comes on at about 7.15pm. Once he's chilled out we take him up, making sure it's dark upstairs with no lights on or doors open to distract him. We kiss him on the landing then put him in his cot on his tummy, say 'night, night, love you little man' then leave him and go downstairs. He's usually asleep by the time we get down.

If he wakes in the night I give him his dummy and stroke him. He rarely cries so I don't have to get him out. If I do I usually cuddle and ssshhh him and sway a bit but if that doesn't work we end up giving him a bottle. Xx

Ben has tea about 4.30, i don't bath him every night as he's got dry skin. But about 7.00 it's pj time. Then he has bottle usually 8 oz then he has about a desert spoon of oats made with his formula. I put him down at 8 in his sleeping bag with his dummy he holds a blanket which he likes by his face. I sit in my room until he's gone off which usually takes half an hour. If I go in I give him his dummy/ remove blankey from head but I don't speak. I just give him a kiss and leave. If he wakes in the night I don't pick him up I try giving dummy, lullabies etc again I don't speak. If after about 15 mins he's still awake I try water if no good then milk. But I don't put lights on and still don't really talk just a bit of shushing.
However Ben does not yet scream in the night he's just awake so it is different xx

Oliver has his tea (baby porridge with fruit purée mixed in) at 4:30, he then happily stays in his high chair whilst we eat our dinner, then around half 5 we take him upstairs and let him have half hour on his playmat. 6 is a bath, he loves it so we really take our time with it, then it's into bedtime clothes and sleeping bag, bottle somewhere near to 7 (depending on how long bathtime has taken), he takes a full 7oz, plenty of burping, lots of cuddles, then into his cot around half 7, switch on his lullaby mobile, dummy and comforter and kisses, come downstairs and watch him on the monitor...
Sometimes he won't take his dummy straight away, sometimes he has more wind but most nights by 8 he's sound asleep.
We do the bottle in his room with just his nightlight on so it's part of his bedtime routine.
Very rare we hear anything from him again until about 6:30-7am.
If we do, it's usually a dummy call so we just go in, put the dummy in, stroke his face but we don't talk to him.
X

Thomas has his tea around 5 then his last bottle around 6.30. He plays downstairs and when he's looking sleepy we take him upstairs, change his nappy, make sure he's just in his vest then put him in his sleeping bag with his mobile on and he goes off to sleep.

I'd say 50/50 with undisturbed nights and nights when he needs his dummy a couple of times then there was the other night where he decided to be up 9-12 for no reason!

We don't bath every night. We only bath once a week but if she has a really messy bum or gets food EVERYWHERE we do it more often...
So ours is jammies at 7.. Then bedtime cereal.. Then 8oz bottle in her room in the dark at 7:30... She starts to fall asleep on the bottle but when she's had enough she knocks it away.. I give the soother.. have a little snuggle for 3 r 4 mins then put her down...

Amelia has her dinner at 4-4:30pm, has a play for a couple of hours, then we bath her anywhere between 6-6:30pm (depending on how tired she is). Then she has her bedtime bottle straight away after, we make sure she brings up at least 1 burp and then it's straight to bed, blinds down, with a dummy, blanket next to her face etc and we leave her to it. That said, I know we have it extremely easy as she's happy to be in bed! She just lies there for a bit twiddling her blanket or playing with her hands and she'll fall asleep on her own. *Most* nights anyway, occasionally we'll have the odd night where she moans for a bit. Then that's it really, occasionally she wakes up for a dummy once a night - lately it's been because she's a fidget and ends up hitting her head at the other end of the cot but usually once I slide her back down the other end and put her dummy in she's off again. Again, like I said we're really lucky. We've had that routine since as early as we could do it I suppose, but I can't say it's because of this particular routine, or because of Amelia. All babies are different.

I hope you and Oliver get some sleep soon, I really do feel for you. Sleep deprivation is the devil. Can really do damage to how you feel I think. I really feel for all parents now, where as before having a child I didn't really understand. Big hugs Penny. xxxxx

Amelia has her dinner at 4-4:30pm, has a play for a couple of hours, then we bath her anywhere between 6-6:30pm (depending on how tired she is). Then she has her bedtime bottle straight away after, we make sure she brings up at least 1 burp and then it's straight to bed, blinds down, with a dummy, blanket next to her face etc and we leave her to it. That said, I know we have it extremely easy as she's happy to be in bed! She just lies there for a bit twiddling her blanket or playing with her hands and she'll fall asleep on her own. *Most* nights anyway, occasionally we'll have the odd night where she moans for a bit. Then that's it really, occasionally she wakes up for a dummy once a night - lately it's been because she's a fidget and ends up hitting her head at the other end of the cot but usually once I slide her back down the other end and put her dummy in she's off again. Again, like I said we're really lucky. We've had that routine since as early as we could do it I suppose, but I can't say it's because of this particular routine, or because of Amelia. All babies are different. I hope you and Oliver get some sleep soon, I really do feel for you. Sleep deprivation is the devil. Can really do damage to how you feel I think. I really feel for all parents now, where as before having a child I didn't really understand. Big hugs Penny. xxxxx

Thanks Hun. Maybe I'll have an 'amelia' next time hehe x

Hi ladies dont know it helps anyone but got a lovely book from The Works today with baby recipes in its only small but goes from fruit purees to first Christmas dinner and pasta. X

Attachments

• image-3325014598.jpg
    image-3325014598.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hey Ladies, while we are on the subject of how ur babies go to bed I would like s bit of advise.

Mia sleeps great at noght , generally 6-6. However in the day time she hardly naps, she is 15 weeks old n prob has 3 sometimes 4 20-25 min naps buy she really fights it, I have to rock or walk round the house to get to sleep. She feeds almost every 3 he's between 6-7oz 5 bottles a day. How ever no matter what time she has her afternoon bottle she cries from 5 onwards till I gave her a bottle n put her to bed. Like today she fed at 3.40 n had a nap at 2.30 for 25 min n then half hr at 3 cos I was driving. Should she be having 6 bottles? Should I feed her at 5 or so, so she has a little nap then play n bath then bed? Just not sure what to do xx

Oliver is just over 3 weeks old and he is coughing sneezing and snuffling in his nose :( he hasn't stopped crying all day really, what should I do I've gave him those drops you put up there nose but thinking should I try suck his snot out? My friend did it and think it worked as my nose sucker thing I got for him is too big for his nose, at first I thought t was colic as he was windy and spitting his milk, poor baby :(

Hey Ladies, while we are on the subject of how ur babies go to bed I would like s bit of advise. Mia sleeps great at noght , generally 6-6. However in the day time she hardly naps, she is 15 weeks old n prob has 3 sometimes 4 20-25 min naps buy she really fights it, I have to rock or walk round the house to get to sleep. She feeds almost every 3 he's between 6-7oz 5 bottles a day. How ever no matter what time she has her afternoon bottle she cries from 5 onwards till I gave her a bottle n put her to bed. Like today she fed at 3.40 n had a nap at 2.30 for 25 min n then half hr at 3 cos I was driving. Should she be having 6 bottles? Should I feed her at 5 or so, so she has a little nap then play n bath then bed? Just not sure what to do xx

There's something called the purple period of crying which sounds like this, they just have a period where they cry a lot, Thomas had this and it was really hard but it did pass!
You could try playing around with her routine to see if it helps xx

There's something called the purple period of crying which sounds like this, they just have a period where they cry a lot, Thomas had this and it was really hard but it did pass!
You could try playing around with her routine to see if it helps xx

Yeh she has done it quite a while Now, I just put it down to being overtired and fighting it xx

Yeh she has done it quite a while Now, I just put it down to being overtired and fighting it xx

Cole used to do it. I called it his witching hours as he'd do it from 4.30ish until he went to bed at 6.30pm. He just seemed to stop all of a sudden but I can't remember when x

Just wanted to send a hug out to anyone who has posted on here, or who may be lurking who has lost a baby xx Thinking of you and your little angels xxx

Aw Jess I was just talking to Luke about this so may people suffer losses, so sad :( xxx

Cole used to do it. I called it his witching hours as he'd do it from 4.30ish until he went to bed at 6.30pm. He just seemed to stop all of a sudden but I can't remember when x

How old is he now? Lol hope it doesn't go on a long time xx

How old is he now? Lol hope it doesn't go on a long time xx

He's 9 months now. I'm pretty sure he stopped around 3-4 months but I can't be 100%. As soon as he started playing more we found he was easier to entertain. He's just being moody at the minute as he's trying his best to walk but getting frustrated so moans at me a LOT! Lol xx

Aw Jess I was just talking to Luke about this so may people suffer losses, so sad :( xxx

I read some of the comments on a post on the Sands page, and omg, the heartache. Really feel for these poor parents - I was sobbing. Makes me realise how very very lucky we are xxx :(

Back