Pregnancy and Slimming World

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are all well. I am trying to get back on SW but this little man seems to want me to eat sweet things (I usually don't like sweet things) so I am trying to battle my sweet tooth at the moment! I am going to make a big pan of veg soup this afternoon though and have that when i am feeling hungry.

I've got my 20 week scan today, it's at the Fetal Medicine Unit as I also need an internal scan to measure my cervix as part of my
high risk care, my hubby can't come with me so my sister who is going to be an extra birth partner and my little girl are coming, I'm really nervous!

Hope you and bumps are ok. If any of you are near Home Bargains, I noticed yesterday that they have 6 big Tommee Tippee bottles for £12.99, 3 little TT bottles for £6.99 and the electric steriliser for £22.99 if anyone is interested? Xx

Good luck Sara! Sending good vibes :) Are you going to share the scan pics on here? :)

Thanks Grumble, I don't know, I may do (if I can remember how to do it!) xx

Hi all :)

Congratulations Fern on your lovely girl. Also well done on the BF when I had my youngest son I was the only one in my ward who BF.. I feed him till 14 mths. BF really helps with weight loss too.. I was back to pre-pregnancy weight within 6 mths eating a healthy balanced diet.. But my start weight was still way too heavy lol..

Almonds are really good for your milk production..

Good luck with BF.. Just know that there is help if your struggling to cope with BF as the 1st 6-8 weeks are the hardest due to baby being hungry ALL the time.. I feed my sons almost every 30-40mins for 1st 2 weeks.. Then they slowed down a bit every 1-11/2 hours.. And so on.. If your really lucky they start to sleep during the night..

When they 1st start to make sounds of being hungry pick baby up and offer breast.. There are studies that have proved that a less stressed baby is a happier mum :)

Enough! Of me going on..

Enjoy your baby girl.. I hope I have a girl next, in aprox 2 years youngest will be 3 or 4.. Last one for me as had 2 c-sections bs1 12lbs - 42.5wks , bs2 10lbs 4oz- 39wks Big heads and shoulders long bodies..

I'm only 4lbs of pre pregnancy weight, but I will second that the first 6-8 weeks are constant. Feed, nap, feed, nap, feed, nap with nappies inbetween.

Only now at 6 weeks am i starting to get myself organised. I REALLY recommend stocking your freezer or haviong quick to hand meals for the first while, esp if your partner isn't a cook and would rather phone the takeaway than whip up beans on toast or pasta.

Lexie_dog said:
I REALLY recommend stocking your freezer or haviong quick to hand meals for the first while, esp if your partner isn't a cook and would rather phone the takeaway than whip up beans on toast or pasta.

Hmm Lexie are you sure you're not talking about my hubby there?
I've already batch cooked about 10 portions of bolognese but will have to think what else to do...
Congrats on only being 4lbs off pre pregnancy weight - that's fab!!

Had antenatal today... Everything is going fab and I'm measuring 35 weeks which is spot on. Baby's head is hovering above my pelvis but not yet engaged

Try lasagne it freezes well, stew, soups.. The lighter choices meals from tesco are tasty.. Even my OH likes some of the Indian style meals lol

Stew is a good idea, might be time to whip the slow cooker out.

Trouble is I went off red meat when I fell pregnant and I'm still not eating it (apart from processed I.e. Mince) but I honestly think it's all psychological now... So I need to just bite the bullet (or beef!!)
Thinking chicken curry might be a good idea too

Hmmm I stopped eating ham and deli meats and soft cheeses.. still have a hard time convincing myself that they are nice - I really Like Wiltshire sliced ham.. But I always have to think about putting it in my mouth lol

Buy some whole chickens to roast easy lunches dinners.. Etc

bunnylovesalan said:
Ooo the Deli - How I missed you :p

I'm with you there, I will be making an expensive visit to the deli once baby is born... Mmm lots of salamis, Parma ham, Brie, blue cheese, pate etc etc yum yum

I didn't know you couldn't eat deli meat? (i'm veggie) I do miss my cheese though...mmmmm stilton!!!! So going to have some after little one is born omnomnom

1st meal home for me was.. Smoked oysters, crackers and pate yummy! My OH thought I was nuts lol

Mmm I need to plan my first meal home. I'm planning on having a really rare good steak at some point to get me back into red meat... One of my faves pre pregnancy. oh with a Stilton sauce of course!!

I think with deli meats they just say cured meats like salami, chorizo etc have to be piping hot when you eat them... So I've just not bothered really. Cooked ham/meat etc is ok as long as you're getting it from a decent place. I think they say something else in America though.

My first meal post pregnancy when home was a carbonara from the chippy, complete with raw egg in the sauce etc. Was. Amazing.

But to be honest I was so hungry I'd have eaten a farmers ar*e through a hedge....

I am not sure what I am allowed as I will be BF and there are rules around the food that you are not allowed again, yawn! Although, I really want a bananna thinkshake from mcd's, just because I am not allowed one for the past eight months but probably be dissappointed when I do get one due to the anti-clamax!

Last edited:
1. A breastfeeding mother has to be obsessive about what she eats.

Not true! A breastfeeding mother should try to eat a balanced diet, but neither needs to eat any special foods nor avoid certain foods. A breastfeeding mother does not need to drink milk in order to make milk. A breastfeeding mother does not need to avoid spicy foods, garlic, cabbage or alcohol. A breastfeeding mother should eat a normal healthful diet. Although there are situations when something the mother eats may affect the baby, this is unusual. Most commonly, "colic", "gassiness" and crying can be improved by changing breastfeeding techniques, rather than changing the mother's diet.

I ate a fair amount of spicy food and fresh garlic chives when breast feeding, only issue I had was when I tried to go on the p only pill noriday my milk supply decreased.. One very unhappy baby boy.. I stopped and everything back to normal within 2 days! ( very stressful 2 days).

Although if you or your OH have food allergies.. It is prob best to avoid those foods.. as baby may get colic ( my best friend found that if she ate critus her baby ended up with bad colic, her OHs mum was mildly allergic to critus fruit.)

I can't help but drool at brie cheese in the supermarket so that is what i will be having in my fridge nearer the time and when baby does come and if i have to stay in hospital for the day i will tell my husband to make me brie sandwiches and bring them in as i absolutly hate hospital food :( x

Urghh i think i ate something bad yesterday and had 2 bouts of diarrhoe (sorry tmi) and one today but feel a little better today. Hope everything is fine but wont run to the doc today as i will be seeing my midwife 2moro x

I seriously have the sweetest husband ever, we have a deal where I get a sticker and he buys me something from group (my idea not his, he would just buy me the stuff anyway). I was hoping I would have lost the 2.5lb I needed to get my 1.5 stone award on Monday. Only thanks to some major water retention (combination of swimming on Sunday, not feeling very well and not being able to pee properly because of where she was laying) I ended up putting on 1lb. Was so not happy when she shifted as I got off the scales and I ended up taking 4 very long trips to the toilet during group. I refused to let him buy me the new magazine because I hadn't gotten my award. Yesterday was Leo's birthday (my middle one who died at 3 months old) and I had a hospital appointment, which was a complete waste of time since it was a midwife led clinic I was referred to and my consultant isn't there because she's on holiday so I was not in a good place mentally. I always struggle with his birthday, but this year was definitely the worst so far. I took a day completely off plan decided that if I could keep it below a 100 syns I would be happy, I don't drink during pregnancy and all I really wanted yesterday was a lime vodka and diet coke, guess I was kind of hoping to be able to sleep without nightmares for the first time in months but still couldn't bring myself to actually drink it, so settled for eating crap don't know why I don't really get any comfort from food, I usually swing the complete other way and the more miserable I feel the longer I don't bother to eat, never feel hungry anyway and am only really doing slimming world because it forces me to at least try and eat three meals a day, baby seems to like it though food makes her happy, had toasted turkey ham and cheese sandwiches sandwiches for breakfast, shared a medium sized bar of Galaxy with the boys and ate a whole packet of Maryland Big and Chunky white chocolate chunk brownie cookies (only 6 after the boys had one each but still about 6.5 syns a biscuit). I spent the day trying really hard not to cry because I knew once I started I wouldn't stop. Hubby comes up and says he's going out to get the boys a happy meal (always been a bit of a tradition for any of their birthdays), he cycled to another slimming world group my consultant runs and bought me the new magazine hoping it would cheer me up. Then we took the boys to the park once it got dark and let them release their balloons for Leo, played some music for his and sung happy birthday was very sweet. Sorry for the super long post just wanted to share. Hugs Crystal xx

Back