Pretty new to SW and not doing well...HELP!!

Just a suggestion re portion control! Serve up half the portion you would normally have(cook the same tho) and if you are still hungry 10 mins after finishing then have some more. So often people will eat what's on their plate as it's what we ate conditioned to do as a child-try it, it might work for you :)

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html
Hiya, thanks

I will try to do this, but normally just end up scoffing the lot, think I may need hypnosis ;) just can't seem to leave the food alone...for example...I will make a tuna pasta salad for lunch, it is a huge mixing bowls worth for the whole family, I will have a small plate and sit down and eat it, then as soon as I finished it I will get up and have another plate after I have cleaned up and sat down for a while 20mins later I got myself another plate, till the whole thing is gone, when I know if I had left it alone I could have had it as snacks the following day, instead I will make more and the cycle continues, when I mentioned at group that I eat massive like this, they are like "but is is 'free food' so you should be fine":confused:

I know I am naughty I should stop being a pig, but I do love my food :(

I love my food too but have tried to limit my portions a bit since starting SW. I weigh out about 100g of dry weight of pasta and I find that I am nice and full after that amount. I dont tend to snack too much (although if I am hungry I do obviously).

I tried SW in the past and told myself that because it was free I could have as much as I wanted and I can eat a LOT which of course meant I didnt lose weight and ended up gaining, giving up and gaining more. :cry:

So I restarted on 8 Aug after my mother in law lost a couple of stones and have lost 6.5lbs since then (I am 5' 3" and started at 10st 3lbs so on the face of it I dont have a vast amount to lose, probably 1.5st or so)
and was worried whether it would work as it didnt previously.

I started a thread with my concerns which has some useful advice that you may find helpful:
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/225951-will-sw-work-me.html

Basically I have discovered that I although a food is technically 'free' all that means is that I dont have to weigh it before I eat it but that it is not unlimited amounts of food. Sometimes I actually have to say to myself 'free not unlimited!!!!!!' :eatdrink051:

I love my food too but have tried to limit my portions a bit since starting SW. I weigh out about 100g of dry weight of pasta and I find that I am nice and full after that amount. I dont tend to snack too much (although if I am hungry I do obviously).

I tried SW in the past and told myself that because it was free I could have as much as I wanted and I can eat a LOT which of course meant I didnt lose weight and ended up gaining, giving up and gaining more. :cry:

So I restarted on 8 Aug after my mother in law lost a couple of stones and have lost 6.5lbs since then (I am 5' 3" and started at 10st 3lbs so on the face of it I dont have a vast amount to lose, probably 1.5st or so)
and was worried whether it would work as it didnt previously.

I started a thread with my concerns which has some useful advice that you may find helpful:
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/225951-will-sw-work-me.html

Basically I have discovered that I although a food is technically 'free' all that means is that I dont have to weigh it before I eat it but that it is not unlimited amounts of food. Sometimes I actually have to say to myself 'free not unlimited!!!!!!' :eatdrink051:

Thank you very much, this makes lots of sense to me...and I am now going to do as you do and say to myself 'free, not unlimited'
I think what I will do is measure out a cup of dry pasta and stick with that as my portion.
I am just about to look at the link you posted :)
xKx

I would say this week I have eaten my syns, purely as I am getting bored of just snacking on fruit and I have no yoghurts in the house, so I will have a cereal bar or a creme caramel or hot choc for that sweet-something...also I am finding it expensive to keep the fruit bowl topped up!

Well done on your weightloss :) you have done fantastic....I will keep going, as I see the loss that everyone else is having and I do like the fact it is giving me the push to keep the family healthy with all the healthy dinners as opposed to the convienience foods and takeaways we were attacking before SW.
Just hope I start to lose some weight, I have a feeling I am going to gain again this week and I will be so ashamed!

xKx

Hiya, thanks for the reply!
I am sticking to it, proud of myself for that really as I think I would have just caved in if I didn't have the support of you guys!

I am going to give it a few more weeks and I know I shouldn't compare myself to others that are at SW but I feel deeply ashamed that I am gaining when everyone else is losing.

I will try and resist the scales at home, it purely was to see if it was going in the right direction as I feel huge at the moment (possibly TOTM?) and I hope you are right, the plan will take a little while for it to sort itself out with me......watch this space I guess :eek:
xKx

Thank you very much, this makes lots of sense to me...and I am now going to do as you do and say to myself 'free, not unlimited'
I think what I will do is measure out a cup of dry pasta and stick with that as my portion.
I am just about to look at the link you posted :)
xKx

Hi KrazyKayzi,

Agree with many of the other posters here. Have given good advice. I would also say to you PLEASE don't feel ashamed if you gain again (although hopefully you won't). I have seen a few people here have a rocky start to SW (Julesm is one and she is now at target and maintaining having lost about 1.5 stone in total). SW works but for some it needs a bit of 'tweaking' because we all eat quite differently even though the basics of the plan may be the same. My weight varies quite a bit so a mid week weigh in isn't necessarily what will happen by your official WI.

I eat most of my syns because if I don't, I won't stick to the plan which ultimately is what makes it successful for me. I don't think it's made much difference to my losses and as I am still on plan 1 year down the line, I think it's worth it.

Good luck and stick with it.

Big hugs.

Gail x

Hi all,

I am going to give SW one more weigh in and if that is a rubbish loss then I am going to go to WW instead, my niece (who is older then me but only slightly heavier) is losing at a rate of 3lb a week with a few 5lbs as well.... I don't want to keep feeling like crap all the time, and my rubbish losses and stupid gain with SW are making me feel that way, specially when I know I have been good and everyone else has been off plan yet they all lose.

Thanks for your kind words though.

xKx

KraziKayzi said:
Hi all,

I am going to give SW one more weigh in and if that is a rubbish loss then I am going to go to WW instead, my niece (who is older then me but only slightly heavier) is losing at a rate of 3lb a week with a few 5lbs as well.... I don't want to keep feeling like crap all the time, and my rubbish losses and stupid gain with SW are making me feel that way, specially when I know I have been good and everyone else has been off plan yet they all lose.

xKx

It isn't healthy to lose weight that fast tho, and if that's what you're expecting then you may well end up even more disappointed! If you are after a quick fix then you're not likely to find one that easily! SW does work, even very slowly! The lovely Ellebear aims to lose 1lb a week and I think she's lost nearly 6 stone in the last year or so just chipping away at it slowly! :) good luck whatever you decide

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

I understand that 5lb a week isn't a healthy rate to lose weight, but 3lb is and I just feel deflated when I have been good all week and nothing is happening, just 2lb a week would be good, I know that SW works as other people at group are losing but they are also having meals out, being naughty, eating too much bread, drinking alcoholic drinks etc,l where I have not been out, not touched bread or a single alcoholic drink and been good and kept to plan...they lose 3lb I gain?...just think that SW just don't work for me.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

KraziKayzi said:
I understand that 5lb a week isn't a healthy rate to lose weight, but 3lb is and I just feel deflated when I have been good all week and nothing is happening, just 2lb a week would be good, I know that SW works as other people at group are losing but they are also having meals out, being naughty, eating too much bread, drinking alcoholic drinks etc,l where I have not been out, not touched bread or a single alcoholic drink and been good and kept to plan...they lose 3lb I gain?...just think that SW just don't work for me.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

1-2lbs a week IS healthy tho!

Just a word of warning. I was on WW a few years ago and lost 4 stones pretty quickly. I found it too hard to live a 'normal' life on it however n stopped doing it. Let me tell you, those 4 stones went back on plus a LOT more v quickly. Then after a while I found SW and never looked back. So far I've lost 8.5stones and know I won't ever put it back on again because SW allows you to have a normal life while still losing weight. My journey so far has been eventful and yes I've had weeks where I put on and felt i didnt deserve it, even in the early days, but I stick with it because it's worth the effort. You didn't put on the weight overnight so can't expect to lose it overnight! At the end of the day you'll do whatever you think is best no doubt, but I wanted to tell you my experiences. Good luck!

Hi, I have been on SW for about 8 weeks now and I am following the EE plan. It took me a few weeks to really get into the plan, I did food diarys for 6 weeks so I could see what I was eating. I had to make a few adjustments to my diet for eg.. I noticed my weight loss wasn't great when I ate bread so I have cut it out, I was having egg on toast for breakfast but now have fruit and yogurt to make sure I am getting my 1/3 superfree. I tend to have fruit for breakfast, salad with meat or tuna and cottage cheese or speed soup for lunch then I have lots of vegetables with whatever I am having for tea. I use my HeA for milk in my tea and usually have a hi-fi bar for my HeB, sometimes I do have ryvita crackerbread and philly (syns). I try to use about 10 syns a day and drink lots of water. I now exercise more and find that makes a difference to my weight loss. My weight isn't flying off but coming off slowly which I am happy about. I don't see it as a diet as such but more a healthy eating plan so hopefully it will be easier to maintain the weight once I get to target.
So sorry you seem to be struggling with it, but it is worth it, I have lost 10.1/2lbs in 8 weeks and even got SOTW one week which was a fab feeling :D Keep with it and I'm sure you will soon start seeing those losses xx

Food wise - if you are doing extra easy you need to add some superfree to your breakfast. 1/3rd in every meal on extra easy. It might help you stay full for longer as well so you don't feel the need to snack.

When you say you eat tons of fruit how much do you mean exactly? Whilst eating too much fruit will not make you put on weight, it can inhibit weight loss. Could you try substituting some of your fruit for veg as snacks (eg carrot sticks or sliced pepper or celery sticks?) More to the point, if you are feeling full after your meals why are you snacking on anything? Are you just eating for the sake of it or are you actually hungry when you grab that 3rd apple of the day? Are you stopping eating when you are full or clearing your plate?

There is nothing wrong with snacking between meals, as long as you are doing it becuase you are actually hungry

I ask these questions because I have been there & done all of these things on SW myself!

Finally - the PP who mentioned that you are not that overweight is spot on. You need less calories than someone my size just to maintain your current weight, so you can't eat as much as someone like me who is still overweight, and loose weight like they do. It will be a slower process for you, and I'm afraid it will require that you exercise more portion control. The smaller plate is a really good idea. That way if you are genuinely still hungry after eating (wait 10 mins) you can have a bit more. I often have seconds eating this way, but I still eat less than I would have done if I had my meals on a big plate.

Hi all,

xKx

Come on, let's get our head in the right place - you've had a sum total of two weigh-ins, ONE of which was a small gain.

It could be for any number of reasons - time of the month, heavy clothes, eating a bulky meal in the past 24 hours, time of day or a million other things. Even a scales error.

Put the scales away, they dont even match the ones at class and your weight varies by up to half a stone during the day.

Stick to the plan and see what the scales say at your next class. And although you might not want to hear it, with only a stone to lose you shouldn't be expecting to lose more than about a pound a week max.

You've got to give this AT LEAST a month before you can seriously judge whether it is for you or not. Good luck x :)

Okay

I appreciate all you comments.

I snack on fruit throughout the day as I am hungry and have to eat the friut as I get a craving that could lead to a binge if I don't.
I will post a picture of the portion size I generally have (when I figure out how to do it) and then maybe you could tell me if this is too much, as I am unsure because I am feeling hungry throughout the day which then makes me ratty.
I will have given it a month by next weigh in...so I think that is pretty fair, I wouldn't say I had a small gain my second weigh in as I pretty much put everything back on that I lost in my 1st week, and that felt horrible and embarrasing as my 1st loss wasn't all that fantastic anyway and the only reason I lost 2.5lb this week was because I went to the 10am meeting instead of the 7.30pm one...so all the food I normally have in my stomache at weigh in time wasn't there this time, god knows what I would have weighed had I gone my usual 7.30pm time??!!
I have 2stone to lose, not just one and even people with weight/height similar to mine are still losing more while eating more.
I have kept my carb intake low at dinner time, as I know when I get hungry I can just go to bed instead of snacking on yet more friut, and I always have some friut with breakfast and salad with lunch and most of my dinner plate is full of veg so I am 1000% sure I am getting all my super free in a day, no question about that...I am keeping to my syns (about 10-maybe I should have none?) and I don't eat bread/cheese/butter...my milk is used with breakfast and coffee (decaf, before I get told off for that)

Oh and I always wear pretty much the same thing each time I get weighed (leggings and a top) so I know it is not the clothes that are altering it.

xKx

Why on earth would u get told off for drinking caffinated coffee? I pretty much live on the stuff sometimes.

If you are eating cos you're actually hungry, no problem - just maybe swap some fruit for carrot sticks etc.

I agree with Ermintrude though - give it a month of being 100 % on plan, weighing in once a week at the same time of day before making a decision to swap.

Well hoping my next weigh in will be better, I have stuck to plan (same as last week) so I should lose, if not then there is something wrong with my compatibility with this diet...I understand that I should eat carrot sticks maybe instead of more fruit, but god that ain't going to do nothing for me...does carrot sticks fill anyone up, really?
I did an extra hour of exercise yesterday on my mini-stepper (aswell as my usual speed walk/cycle to school which is 2miles there and back each time) going to do this each night and see how far that gets me.

xKx

Last edited:
Don't give up on slimming world, if you stick to it 100% you will lose weight. If you complete food diaries for your consultant she will be able to check it and see if there is anything that you are counting incorrectly. Its very hard to judge unless you are totally honest and write everything you eat or drink down.

I started slimming world in February when i gave up smoking. I know how disheartening it is not to lose weight. I now weight 7lb heavier than I did then, but last time I gave up smoking I put on 2 stone so its damage limitation.

I finally feel that I am able to start losing weight and the snacking has slowed down. I am hoping for a good loss on Monday when I weigh in, but if not I know slimming world works if you use it to its full potential and have the full backing of your consultant and group members.

My group all know why I am there and all know that I have gained weight but every week they come up with new ways to help me and their support is vital.

Keep going, you will get there.

KraziKayzi said:
Well hoping my next weigh in will be better, I have stuck to plan (same as last week) so I should lose, if not then there is something wrong with my compatibility with this diet...I understand that I should eat carrot sticks maybe instead of more fruit, but god that ain't going to do nothing for me...does carrot sticks fill anyone up, really?
I did an extra hour of exercise yesterday (aswell as my usual speed walk/cycle to school and back which is 2miles there and back each time) going to do this each night and see how far that gets me.

xKx
Do carrot sticks fill me up?? Um - yes! A damn sight more than an apple does. The whole point of superfree foods is that they are very filling in comparison to their calories so they should fill you up. Plus they are a bit sweet too, so that takes care of the sugar craving.

Do carrot sticks fill me up?? Um - yes! A damn sight more than an apple does. The whole point of superfree foods is that they are very filling in comparison to their calories so they should fill you up. Plus they are a bit sweet too, so that takes care of the sugar craving.

Carrots stick certainly fill me up, far more than a lot of fruit does :) I very often have a pot of carrot sticks, cucumber batons, pepper strips, etc, to munch on. I tend to eat them far more slowly than if I have a pot of strawberries, etc, and they fill me up more.

Hi all,

xKx

In all honesty, you have only had 2 weigh ins, you need to give your body time to get used to the SW plan. I know of people who haven't seen a loss or have gained for the first month and then seen great losses afterwards. Everyone's body is different.

Stick with it and give it a chance... 2 weigh ins is not really giving it a fair chance in my opinion.

I am a slow loser (been on plan since the beginning of May and have lost 18.5lbs so far... some other in class have lost double that in the same time period - as I said, everyone is different. But the main thing for me is how much better I feel inmyself. And those weeks where I've STS or put on, I have still been able to see a difference in myself - I may not have lost on the scales but I have lost inches!

I did WW a number of times previously and have to admit, having now done SW, would never go back!

Back