Primal cooking with kids

Donzy84

Back to basics
Morning all,
Anyone have a young family? So you all eat primal? So far my hubby is eating main meals with me but having his own treats, but I've always feed my kids separately at Least 4 times at week as my hubbie doesn't usually get in til 6.30/7pm.
So not sure whether I should carry on or push for primal.

They are nearly 2 and 5 and my main prob would be breakfasts and packed lunches xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I don't have kids myself but Everyday Paleo and Eat Like A Dinosaur are two books full of advice about feeding little ones (I have the 2nd book by Everyday Paleo on order but can't comment yet as it hasn't arrived! 1st one has awful photos but good info). Maybe your library could get copies if you wanted to try before you buy?

There are also a lot of 'paleo mom' blogs that probably explore this subject.

My own personal feeling is that I believe paleo/primal is healthier so why wouldn't I want my (hypothetical) kids to benefit from that as well, but I have enough family/friends with little ones to fully appreciate that the phrase 'easier said than done' was coined for just such a scenario. ;)

I don't have kids myself but Everyday Paleo and Eat Like A Dinosaur are two books full of advice about feeding little ones (I have the 2nd book by Everyday Paleo on order but can't comment yet as it hasn't arrived! 1st one has awful photos but good info). Maybe your library could get copies if you wanted to try before you buy?

There are also a lot of 'paleo mom' blogs that probably explore this subject.

My own personal feeling is that I believe paleo/primal is healthier so why wouldn't I want my (hypothetical) kids to benefit from that as well, but I have enough family/friends with little ones to fully appreciate that the phrase 'easier said than done' was coined for just such a scenario. ;)

Made me laugh when you put "hypothetical kids" my main worry is that I can't stop them eating with friends and at parties etc and worry about in the end them having too much fat in primal and then to much sugar elsewhere?
It's something I've been thinking of for a long while even before I started dieting myself as my kids have so many more sweets than I ever had as a child and my eldest isn't fat by any means but is a little tubby and I'm very concicious that both me and by hubby where overweight as kids x

I think (again with my hypothetical kids) I'd transfer them over... you'll never stop em having bits of other stuff.... but at least u will know that its better than if they had that other stuff all of the time....

I wonder if then tey would become super sensitive to sugar!!! I know I am... lol...

Let us theoretical mums know what you find

: ) X

Hi

I have 2 boys 3 and 5, I have started giving them an egg and bacon, sometimes baked beans for breakfast, but no toast .. I also stopped giving toast as a snack. Lunch is hard - but I put red pepper sticks, cucumber, pecans, yogurt tube ., but am finding it hard to get away from his favourite sandwich of butter and honey. Dinner is easier meat and veg with a little potatoes

But slowly slowly - snacks at home - fruit, boiled eggs, salami, nuts and on Fridays/ weekends they can have other stuff.. But only after having fruit etc 1st lol

My oldest son likes an apple after school and is happy to show his friends his apple, when they have biscuits and choc stuff..

After-school my boys are sooooo hungry - so either dinner when we get home or an omelette .. But slowly slowly :)

I cook evening meal as paleo and they all have that and are happy but they do have other stuff as well.

They arent 100% but I think every little bit helps

Thanks so much everyone for the advice, I'm really enjoying this way of eating at the moment (I know early days) and I'm going to stop buying fish fingers, potato waffles, chicken nuggets etc and gradually primalise them. It's silly that when I had my first one I puréed veg and meat and made everything from scratch, would have never dreamed of giving them processed food and then just grsdually I creeps in, I guess it's so "normal" these days xxx

Can't remember where I was reading, I think it was in Paleo Magazine - they did a feature on paleo parents and the whole 'what about when they're not at home' issue was asked about. Most of the parents said that their kids had worked out for themselves that when they DID eat wheat or sugary things that they then felt 'yucky' and so they tended to avoid them of their own accord most of the time now, which I thought was interesting. Sounds like you've got a great plan forward, I hope you'll let us know how it goes. :)

My rule in our house is I only cook once.. If you don't like it tough .. Eat it or go hungry! It not like it yucky or nothing lol got sick of cooking twice few years ago! New baby (2nd one) and less time to cook!

Oldest son say yuck! Youngest say yuck .. Sigh! So they eat what we eat .. At home no hot chips, or fish fingers -I'm lucky they don't like fish fingers but will eat salmon and other fish pan fried .. Or they go with out lol

My kids love pasta - but now we have it only sometimes not 3x week like we used to .. It's rice or potatoes - I figure as they are growing they prob ok with the extra carbs.

There are something's they have bread with like my homemade bread.. But I try to buy bread with no added sugar, strangely hard to do! The polish bakery do a 1/2 rye loaf - which they like - just not as sandwiches.

My plan is to reduce the crackers, crisps, chocolates etc to Friday after school and a few bits on the weekend.. Party's and visiting relatives - cant do much about except educate them and hope that they will choose some good things too :)

The biggest difference in the last mth for my kids is reducing the bread. None at breakfast now, reducing the cereals is happening slowly - youngest doesn't eat cereals for breakfast now - egg and rasher bacon and loads milk - he's a milky vampire lol oldest has cereal every few days ..

Lunch am thinking of putting sausages in or bits of chicken or ham.. Boiled egg .. But no bread.. Have to figure out how to explain it lol or just put bit of meat and 1/2 sandwich ??

Tara do they like lettuce. One I'd my daughters would take ham etc wrapped in lettuce as a sandwich. And hard boiled eggs.

Sometimes, but not sure but worth a try :) he does like hardboiled eggs ..

Our first primal brekkie. Banana pancakes with berries and maple syrup. Littlest hasn't touched but Lucy loved it.

image-792841050.jpg

I think shifting my kids to primal will be a slow journey.

Oldest son (5) breakfast he's Had an apple, bowl Cheerios, still hungry egg and bacon.. cup of milk.. Still hungry - 3 large pancakes with honey, he's been awake since 5am, down stairs since 6:30am / I started breakfast at 7am

Youngest son (3) apple, didn't eat much of the coco pops he thought he wanted- he just drank the milk .. Had 1 egg scrambled, 1/2 large pancake and honey - more milk.. Like about a pint ..

My OH is becoming afraid the supermarket won't have enough food for when they hit the teens ., lol

We stopped buying cereals months ago and breakfast tends to be toast or something like a croissant.daughter now likes an egg and bacon. Some days they prefer not to eat (they are a little older). In my opinion, you shouldn't eat breakfast unless you are hungry. I believe in eating when your body tells you to. of course when they are at school this is easier said than done. but a glass of milk will usually keep them going until lunch.

Lunch can be nuts,meats, cheese, wraps (lower in carbs) avocado dips, veges and some fruit. not dried. But my kids like to eat school dinners. that is a minefield...

We stopped buying cereals months ago and breakfast tends to be toast or something like a croissant.daughter now likes an egg and bacon. Some days they prefer not to eat (they are a little older). In my opinion, you shouldn't eat breakfast unless you are hungry. I believe in eating when your body tells you to. of course when they are at school this is easier said than done. but a glass of milk will usually keep them going until lunch.

Lunch can be nuts,meats, cheese, wraps (lower in carbs) avocado dips, veges and some fruit. not dried. But my kids like to eat school dinners. that is a minefield...

I'm slowly changing - but sometimes they want what they want.. I have 2 hungry boys who are growing at the mo .. Trying to move away from cereals... I'm not giving toast for breakfast, and trying to reduce the bread at lunch .. But will have to see how it goes .. Need to talk my oldest round 1st as a grumpy son is worse lol

Hi, I'm really interested in this but worried about my boys lunches like you seem to be. My eldest is 10 and has upset tummies if he eats sweets or pizza so this way of eating might help, I'm thinking he may have a bit of ibs if its possible to have a bit of that!!

I am also a reception teacher (in quiet a poor neighbourhood) and really notice the children who don't eat breakfast are ravenous and quite bad tempered by 10 am, they have fruit at school but it doesn't keep them going at full steam ahead...

Really what I want to know is why are bread and cereals so bad for you? What other ways of getting long lasting energy are good for breakfasts?

Thanks

Hi, I'm really interested in this but worried about my boys lunches like you seem to be. My eldest is 10 and has upset tummies if he eats sweets or pizza so this way of eating might help, I'm thinking he may have a bit of ibs if its possible to have a bit of that!!

I am also a reception teacher (in quiet a poor neighbourhood) and really notice the children who don't eat breakfast are ravenous and quite bad tempered by 10 am, they have fruit at school but it doesn't keep them going at full steam ahead...

Really what I want to know is why are bread and cereals so bad for you? What other ways of getting long lasting energy are good for breakfasts?

Thanks

Eggs and bacon/ sausages are good for breakfast .. Just takes time - I give my kids this for breakfast most morning - along with baked beans for my oldest son (5) beans are not technically primal - but he's very active rushing around and I figure that beans are better than bread and cereals .

Marks daily apple explains that better than I could .. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sear...ef=www.marksdailyapple.com/&ss=1658j1221484j4

Well lucy had a primal packed lunch yesterday and today. Yesterdays was tuna/mayo and cucumber rolled in ham "wraps" with plenty of fruit and a babybel. and Today is a couple of meatballs (made with beef, turkey, carrot, sweet potato and courgette), toms and cucumber and a homemade tomato sauce to dip, along with plenty of fruit and a babybel.

Keep expecting the school to say something but I assume surely not all kids have a sandwich? If they say anything i'm going to say we think she's sensitive to wheat.

Thanks, I'm going to take a look x

Lots of children have "odd"lunches unless it's pure auger staff usually won't talk to parents and it sounds like a healthy lunch x

Back