primal plum

A nice primal Easter today... Started off with a green smoothie as I woke up quite late, lunch was spicy tuna steaks with lemony carrot/courgette noodles, cauliflower and a tiny scoop of herb risotto, dinner tonight will be roasted duck legs with cherry sauce, red cabbage and other veg - I want to try making hasselback potatoes with new potatoes. There may be the odd square of soya lecithin-free dark chocolate here or there also... And I am thinking about making paleo coconut crack bars/balls this afternoon.

On the rice front... I have been incorporating a small portion of white rice (1/2 cup cooked) once or twice a week as I find I feel much better when I don't eat too low carb and it seems to be regarded as a 'safe starch'. I had been getting dizzy spells and was quite lethargic until I consciously upped the carbs a little bit. It suddenly occurred to me today that white risotto rice is... white rice. So yay, we made a lovely risotto with ghee, onions, garlic, homemade chicken bone broth and fresh herbs at the end. My little 1/2 cup serving was quite delicious and felt like a real treat. (if I want a big plate of risotto as a main dish then I make cauliflower risotto)

A nice primal Easter today... Started off with a green smoothie as I woke up quite late, lunch was spicy tuna steaks with lemony carrot/courgette noodles, cauliflower and a tiny scoop of herb risotto, dinner tonight will be roasted duck legs with cherry sauce, red cabbage and other veg - I want to try making hasselback potatoes with new potatoes. There may be the odd square of soya lecithin-free dark chocolate here or there also... And I am thinking about making paleo coconut crack bars/balls this afternoon.

On the rice front... I have been incorporating a small portion of white rice (1/2 cup cooked) once or twice a week as I find I feel much better when I don't eat too low carb and it seems to be regarded as a 'safe starch'. I had been getting dizzy spells and was quite lethargic until I consciously upped the carbs a little bit. It suddenly occurred to me today that white risotto rice is... white rice. So yay, we made a lovely risotto with ghee, onions, garlic, homemade chicken bone broth and fresh herbs at the end. My little 1/2 cup serving was quite delicious and felt like a real treat. (if I want a big plate of risotto as a main dish then I make cauliflower risotto)

Wow! You're food sounds absolutely amazing! :)

How are u doing on practical paleo this week? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Am still really enjoying the menu and having the shopping list already made up has been so convenient as since I started my new job our household feels chronically short of time and energy. I think having the menu has really helped me stick to it as everything is already planned and shopped for so going off plan feels a bit wasteful (food bills have been cheaper too, hurray), and cooking wise it's been convenient as it makes use of dinner leftovers for breakfast or lunch. And I think sticking to it has helped my health as I haven't so far had too much of an M.E. crash apart from a migraine last Friday which was nothing to do with my new job but with my old boss having a shouty rage at me after he got the wrong end of the stick. So for me at this point it has definitely been the right thing to do. :) Although I have been having some primal dairy, extra side dishes at main meals, an afternoon snack and my usual small paleo-friendly pudding after dinner as usual which are in addition to the menu to fit my calorie/carb needs. Yesterday I *may* have had a small side dish portion of cheesy quinoa (like macaroni cheese but with quinoa and cream instead of macaroni and white sauce)...

When we finish this 30 days I might try her auto-immune plan next (which cuts out nuts/seeds and nightshades, so v difficult for me which is why I didn't do it this time!) as it is supposed to be very good for CFS/ME sufferers - afterwards you then experimentally re-introduce one thing at a time so you can eat those things that agree with you and avoid those that don't. But I think we will have a week or so of planning our own meals in between as there have been a few days where we've thought it would be nice to have such-and-such but it's not in the menu plan.

Am still really enjoying the menu and having the shopping list already made up has been so convenient as since I started my new job our household feels chronically short of time and energy. I think having the menu has really helped me stick to it as everything is already planned and shopped for so going off plan feels a bit wasteful (food bills have been cheaper too, hurray), and cooking wise it's been convenient as it makes use of dinner leftovers for breakfast or lunch. And I think sticking to it has helped my health as I haven't so far had too much of an M.E. crash apart from a migraine last Friday which was nothing to do with my new job but with my old boss having a shouty rage at me after he got the wrong end of the stick. So for me at this point it has definitely been the right thing to do. :) Although I have been having some primal dairy, extra side dishes at main meals, an afternoon snack and my usual small paleo-friendly pudding after dinner as usual which are in addition to the menu to fit my calorie/carb needs. Yesterday I *may* have had a small side dish portion of cheesy quinoa (like macaroni cheese but with quinoa and cream instead of macaroni and white sauce)...

When we finish this 30 days I might try her auto-immune plan next (which cuts out nuts/seeds and nightshades, so v difficult for me which is why I didn't do it this time!) as it is supposed to be very good for CFS/ME sufferers - afterwards you then experimentally re-introduce one thing at a time so you can eat those things that agree with you and avoid those that don't. But I think we will have a week or so of planning our own meals in between as there have been a few days where we've thought it would be nice to have such-and-such but it's not in the menu plan.

image-1395885658.jpg

Is it this book?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

We're just finishing the last week of the Practical Paleo month and have really enjoyed it! Also it's really helped with regards to organisation as I've been settling into the new job. This week we'll plan our own menu ahead of time and then maybe do another monthly one. I was looking today at the Once A Month Mom website and they have started doing a paleo plan so I might try a one-month membership to see what it's like.

Over the last three weeks we had some homemade sauerkraut on the go; this weekend it's finally ready to refrigerate and eat. It is pretty yummy but because of the powerful probiotic nature I am starting off with a really small serving of maybe 2 tbsp per day. I need to make more gelatine cubes too as I found I felt pretty good when I was eating a couple of them a day.

Today made some yummy cocoa brownie balls out of dates, almonds, pecans and coconut plus vanilla and cinnamon (oh and cocoa powder). They're nestled in the fridge along with more coconut crack balls; it's nice to have a little stash to dip into from time to time! :)

Healthwise I think Practical Paleo and its healthy grub has really helped me get through the last month; increasing from 3 to 4 days a week has really hit me hard but I am (just) coping ok so far. My usual fitness routine - kettlebells twice a week - has gone by the wayside though as I just don't have the energy at the moment. I hope to get back to it once I'm more settled into the new routine but this week I started doing beginners yoga in an attempt to ward off a return of my lower back pain and too much loss of fitness. If I feel up to it I'm also doing a short bodyweight exercise session but not pressuring myself as to how frequently. I guess I could also do some standalone kettlebell exercises targeted at what I know helps my back pain without the pressure of doing a whole DVD, and at my own pace - maybe I'll give that a try too. I'm getting softer around the middle which I'm trying not to fret about especially as I am off in May to visit the parents in Cyprus. Swimming costumes, eeeek...

We're just finishing the last week of the Practical Paleo month and have really enjoyed it! Also it's really helped with regards to organisation as I've been settling into the new job. This week we'll plan our own menu ahead of time and then maybe do another monthly one. I was looking today at the Once A Month Mom website and they have started doing a paleo plan so I might try a one-month membership to see what it's like.

Over the last three weeks we had some homemade sauerkraut on the go; this weekend it's finally ready to refrigerate and eat. It is pretty yummy but because of the powerful probiotic nature I am starting off with a really small serving of maybe 2 tbsp per day. I need to make more gelatine cubes too as I found I felt pretty good when I was eating a couple of them a day.

Today made some yummy cocoa brownie balls out of dates, almonds, pecans and coconut plus vanilla and cinnamon (oh and cocoa powder). They're nestled in the fridge along with more coconut crack balls; it's nice to have a little stash to dip into from time to time! :)

Healthwise I think Practical Paleo and its healthy grub has really helped me get through the last month; increasing from 3 to 4 days a week has really hit me hard but I am (just) coping ok so far. My usual fitness routine - kettlebells twice a week - has gone by the wayside though as I just don't have the energy at the moment. I hope to get back to it once I'm more settled into the new routine but this week I started doing beginners yoga in an attempt to ward off a return of my lower back pain and too much loss of fitness. If I feel up to it I'm also doing a short bodyweight exercise session but not pressuring myself as to how frequently. I guess I could also do some standalone kettlebell exercises targeted at what I know helps my back pain without the pressure of doing a whole DVD, and at my own pace - maybe I'll give that a try too. I'm getting softer around the middle which I'm trying not to fret about especially as I am off in May to visit the parents in Cyprus. Swimming costumes, eeeek...

Sounds like you're doing great. I think I need gelatine as my nails have gone appallingly weak and soft - not just breaking, they're now hardly growing. I made bone broth last week but not mad about - prefer chicken based stock.
For the lower back pain have you looked at foam rolling at all?

Sounds like you're doing great. I think I need gelatine as my nails have gone appallingly weak and soft - not just breaking, they're now hardly growing. I made bone broth last week but not mad about - prefer chicken based stock.
For the lower back pain have you looked at foam rolling at all?

The gelatine cubes are really easy; I usually do them with strong herbal or fruit tea. Easy to grab on the run too.

What bones did you use for your broth? I have found that either the carcass of a roasted chicken or roasted beef bones work best (broth from raw beef bones, blech) but the chicken is definitely my favourite. I do find that it can take up to 24 hours in the slow cooker to get a really good flavour though.

I have a foam roller for stretching. My back pain is caused by weak core muscles and so the only way I've found to permanently banish it is core exercises of some sort in addition to the stretching. :)

You sound like you are doing amazingly well :)

You've inspired me to buy the Practical Paleo book :) I hope it arrives this week, the reviews are all fab!
I'm liking the sound of the gelatin cubes, I forgot to buy gelatin at the weekend but found a really nice fruit tea in M&S to make them with!
I've also got a whole chicken so going to try make a broth later in the week in my slow cooker with the carcass.

Hi! Just subscribing to keep up with your thread. Have found this a really interesting read with lots of tips - I've recently become interested in primal as this way of eating does seem to suit me, and I've begun to lose weight again after gaining back some of what I'd lost in preparation for a hip replacement last October.

You sound like you are doing amazingly well :)

You've inspired me to buy the Practical Paleo book :) I hope it arrives this week, the reviews are all fab!
I'm liking the sound of the gelatin cubes, I forgot to buy gelatin at the weekend but found a really nice fruit tea in M&S to make them with!
I've also got a whole chicken so going to try make a broth later in the week in my slow cooker with the carcass.

I've really not caught up this week; did Practical Paleo arrive? Hope you like it! The slow cooker beef ribs are amazing, we've had them 3 times in the last month and we can get them reasonably cheaply from our butcher.

Hi! Just subscribing to keep up with your thread. Have found this a really interesting read with lots of tips - I've recently become interested in primal as this way of eating does seem to suit me, and I've begun to lose weight again after gaining back some of what I'd lost in preparation for a hip replacement last October.

Excellent stuff, hope you get on well! If you're losing again that's a great sign. :)

Was a bit cheaty last night and had a gluten-free pizza at ASK Italian (plus a rocket salad with proscuttio and some gelato for dessert). I really like that they have a separate GF menu as this saves having to hunt down GF items in the regular menu... It was nice as pizzas go (although the crust was a bit more like a really thick wrap than a pizza crust) - today I have a bit of a hungover feeling and I had a headache last night, but I suspect that's as much to do with being dehydrated as anything. Had a nice meal out with friends anyway which is the main thing. :)

And inducted them into primal breakfast this morning as they were staying over - a green smoothie (which the three year old proclaimed delicious), and scrambled eggs with coconut oil. All of which seemed to go down well! Must say I was surprised that the little 'un loved the smoothie so much, but then it did just taste of banana and strawberry so i guess it's not that shocking really. :D

Feeling really tired today, suspect it's down to the headache and a bit of a late night last night so going to try to rest up. I have been doing my best to stick to bedtime and waking up yoga (you can do it right in bed which is great) plus adding in some yoga moves for core strength, but my back is still acting up a bit. I need to do more but it's difficult when I am feeling low energy - which the back pain then contributes to. In a week I am off work and off to Cyprus to visit the parents so hopefully the break will do me some good and help get me out of the vicious circle. In a way I feel like I am back to when I first got ME, I just feel tired and in pain all of the time, not able to do anything but sit around like a lump in my spare time, and with no prospect of ever feeling less so. But logically I know that things will probably improve as I settle further into my new job. I hope so anyway! :eek:

Forgot to mention some new snacks I've been having! Bought some gluten/sugar/nitrate-free biltong online and have really been enjoying that, and on the weekend we made cinnamon apple tidbits in the food dehydrator (recipe from Eat Like a Dinosaur) - easy to make apart from the peeling/chopping and really tasty. Nice made into a trail mix with some nuts and seeds. :)

Trying to be accountable for my food this week after a week in Cyprus where I stayed gluten-free but ate a few things I shouldn't. Not only did I put on a few proper pounds but I came back with some carb/sugar cravings. Both should go quickly though I hope!

Breakfast: green smoothie, pumpkin pancakes and sausages

Lunch: mixed salad, cranberry chicken salad, plus a few carob pieces and a bit of cream in redbush tea

Dinner: grilled lemon/herb salmon, veggies, strawberries with cream

Am out to the pub tonight to meet some old friends but I am not a drinker anymore so will stick to one or two 1/3 pints of cider (yes they do thirds) and then water.

Really need to do new batches of coconut crack balls, cocoa date balls and dark choc/walnut bark to stash in the fridge... None of these trigger cravings for me. But I'll hold off a bit until I see some drop on the scales!

Glad to see you had a good time :) sounds a sensible plan of action !

following primal blueprint and 5:2 /4:3 fasting plan

Trying to be accountable for my food this week after a week in Cyprus where I stayed gluten-free but ate a few things I shouldn't. Not only did I put on a few proper pounds but I came back with some carb/sugar cravings. Both should go quickly though I hope!

Breakfast: green smoothie, pumpkin pancakes and sausages

Lunch: mixed salad, cranberry chicken salad, plus a few carob pieces and a bit of cream in redbush tea

Dinner: grilled lemon/herb salmon, veggies, strawberries with cream

Am out to the pub tonight to meet some old friends but I am not a drinker anymore so will stick to one or two 1/3 pints of cider (yes they do thirds) and then water.

Really need to do new batches of coconut crack balls, cocoa date balls and dark choc/walnut bark to stash in the fridge... None of these trigger cravings for me. But I'll hold off a bit until I see some drop on the scales!

Oh I keep meaning to try the bark - I have some dark choc & some walnuts I think, will try these tomorrow - thanks for the reminder.

Glad to see you had a good time :) sounds a sensible plan of action !

following primal blueprint and 5:2 /4:3 fasting plan

Thanks hon; here's hoping anyway. I tracked in MFP yesterday and it felt really weird!

Oh I keep meaning to try the bark - I have some dark choc & some walnuts I think, will try these tomorrow - thanks for the reminder.

:D for some reason I find the bark much tastier than plain chocolate. Maybe because it's thinner it has the 'snap' factor.

Had a bit more cider last night than intended but only a bit! I had just under a pint in total before switching to water. I think eating primal has made me more aware of the effect things have on me.

Planned food today:

Breakfast: sweet potato hash, poached eggs, bacon, green smoothie

Lunch: salmon fish cakes w/homemade tartar sauce, salad inc beetroot

Dinner: chicken and chorizo stew of some sort, veggies, rhubarb compote

Snacks if needed: hard cheese, apple with tahini/carob spread, redbush tea with cream

Main food variation today - I needed a proper snack after doing quite a long yoga session! So had some sliced banana with almond butter and coconut milk. With cinnamon sprinkled on this is one of my favourite fruit-based snacks. :) I was pleased that I was able to do yoga as I haven't had much energy and not done any exercise since getting back from Cyprus. My arms are a bit wobbly now though!

We have run out of homemade almond butter so opened a standby jar that was in the cupboard. There's nothing wrong with it but it's not a patch on the homemade!

Plan for Monday and Tuesday as I doubt I'll get a chance to update:

Breakfasts will be either grain-free porridge or something with eggs, veggies and bacon or sausage, most likely, plus homemade sauerkraut

Lunch both days will be cranberry chicken salad with green salad

Monday dinner: chicken and mushroom stir-fry with broccoli and a little bit of egg-fried white rice

Tuesday dinner: lamb pesto meatballs with veggies

I will add in enough fruit or sweet potato each day to keep my carbs around the 100g mark; too low and my ME gets cranky and acts up (plus I get dizzy every time I stand up). Snacks will be from my usual rotation of things.

Back