• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Problem with Syn Free Quiche

Shirleen

Gold Member
I know that Syn Free Quiche has been posted half to death but I made one tonight and whilst it tastes lovely there's alot of watery stuff coming out of it!

I made it with
4x eggs
500ml Fromage Frais (Date was shorter than the cottage cheese I have)
Lean Bacon
2 x chopped mushrooms
Spring onions
2x ham chopped!

Also how the hell am I going to stop the pesky kids eating the lot?

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

ladela

Yeah that sometimes happens to mine - normally if I put tomatoes in. Mebbe the bacon in yours caused so much water?

I normally either nick a slice straightaway then drain the water from it or turn it out on a wire rack so it doesn't go mushy. Mind, it doesnt last long enough to go mushy lol.

Oh and about the kids - I normally tell mine its sprout quiche and ask if they would like some - they never have yet ;) (and mine like sprouts lol)

Circes

Strutting her stuff
My guess would be too much liquid to start off with. I would normally only use a 300g tub of cottage cheese and 3/4 eggs. So you've already got 200g more liquid from the fromage frais added to the fact that this is so much runnier than cottage cheese or quark. I reckon that's the problem and that if you were to use less it would be okay. The second problem I can't help you with I'm afraid (grin)

Jeg57

I found that if I blitz the cottage cheese with the eggs it separates less

Dawney

I find that if i keep blotting mine with kitchen roll whilst it is cooking it is not watery.

qbeewar

Mushrooms are also quite watery

kissme

Gold Member
personally i would fry off the mushs, spring onion, bacon and ham, then drain.

and also the fromage frais may split during cooking. so i wold of used the cottage cheese instead and have the yog for breakfast or i would of froze the yogurt

karengee

syn free quiche

I have made lots of sw quiches i love them because they're free of syns. when i add veggies to the basic recipe my quiches usually end up watery. so i just use pasta n sauce (syn free ones) and mix with eggs and cottage cheese and have veggies on the side

kissme

Gold Member
I have made lots of sw quiches i love them because they're free of syns. when i add veggies to the basic recipe my quiches usually end up watery. so i just use pasta n sauce (syn free ones) and mix with eggs and cottage cheese and have veggies on the side

They aren't free if you use them in a quiche

Annie82

I make mine in layers. I begin by spraying the dish with Fry Light, then I put in some raw veggies (whatever I have handy, eg grated carrot, chopped onion and anything else I want to use).

I mix eggs and cottage cheese and pour this on the top, and it stays in a separate layer.

I then slice tomatoes and put these on top, and it comes out in layers. I've never had a watery one yet (but I have not made it very many times).

Annie

Lizabeth

Hi Shirleen

Have you tried to use quark instead of cotttage cheese / fromage frais? Although I'm not a fan of quark (normally can't stand it) if you use a hand blender and blend it in with your eggs and then pour over rest of ingredients, it comes out with a texture not unlike making quiche with cream. I use it in quiche all the time and even my hubby will eat it!

I also pre-cook mushrooms as they do tend to let out a lot of liquid when cooking and as for tomatoes, I slice them and put them on top.

So far so good!

karengee

Hi Kissme i have double checked with slimming world re quiches made from pasta n sauces if they are syn free they remain syn free after they have been cooked in a quiche.
One example is to be found in SW recipe archive.... great for green.
Colourful vegetable quiche
its free on green and extra easy....... you make up a pachet of pasta n sauce (the syn free ones ) such as Batchelors tomato, onion & herb pour into flan dish and then top with cottage cheese mixture.