Problem with Syn Free Quiche

Shirleen

Gold Member
I know that Syn Free Quiche has been posted half to death but I made one tonight and whilst it tastes lovely there's alot of watery stuff coming out of it!

I made it with
4x eggs
500ml Fromage Frais (Date was shorter than the cottage cheese I have)
Lean Bacon
2 x chopped mushrooms
Spring onions
2x ham chopped!

Also how the hell am I going to stop the pesky kids eating the lot?

Yeah that sometimes happens to mine - normally if I put tomatoes in. Mebbe the bacon in yours caused so much water?

I normally either nick a slice straightaway then drain the water from it or turn it out on a wire rack so it doesn't go mushy. Mind, it doesnt last long enough to go mushy lol.

Oh and about the kids - I normally tell mine its sprout quiche and ask if they would like some - they never have yet ;) (and mine like sprouts lol)

My guess would be too much liquid to start off with. I would normally only use a 300g tub of cottage cheese and 3/4 eggs. So you've already got 200g more liquid from the fromage frais added to the fact that this is so much runnier than cottage cheese or quark. I reckon that's the problem and that if you were to use less it would be okay. The second problem I can't help you with I'm afraid (grin)

I found that if I blitz the cottage cheese with the eggs it separates less

I find that if i keep blotting mine with kitchen roll whilst it is cooking it is not watery.

Mushrooms are also quite watery

personally i would fry off the mushs, spring onion, bacon and ham, then drain.

and also the fromage frais may split during cooking. so i wold of used the cottage cheese instead and have the yog for breakfast or i would of froze the yogurt

syn free quiche

I have made lots of sw quiches i love them because they're free of syns. when i add veggies to the basic recipe my quiches usually end up watery. so i just use pasta n sauce (syn free ones) and mix with eggs and cottage cheese and have veggies on the side

I have made lots of sw quiches i love them because they're free of syns. when i add veggies to the basic recipe my quiches usually end up watery. so i just use pasta n sauce (syn free ones) and mix with eggs and cottage cheese and have veggies on the side

They aren't free if you use them in a quiche

I make mine in layers. I begin by spraying the dish with Fry Light, then I put in some raw veggies (whatever I have handy, eg grated carrot, chopped onion and anything else I want to use).

I mix eggs and cottage cheese and pour this on the top, and it stays in a separate layer.

I then slice tomatoes and put these on top, and it comes out in layers. I've never had a watery one yet (but I have not made it very many times).

Annie

Hi Shirleen

Have you tried to use quark instead of cotttage cheese / fromage frais? Although I'm not a fan of quark (normally can't stand it) if you use a hand blender and blend it in with your eggs and then pour over rest of ingredients, it comes out with a texture not unlike making quiche with cream. I use it in quiche all the time and even my hubby will eat it!

I also pre-cook mushrooms as they do tend to let out a lot of liquid when cooking and as for tomatoes, I slice them and put them on top.

So far so good!

Hi Kissme i have double checked with slimming world re quiches made from pasta n sauces if they are syn free they remain syn free after they have been cooked in a quiche.
One example is to be found in SW recipe archive.... great for green.
Colourful vegetable quiche
its free on green and extra easy....... you make up a pachet of pasta n sauce (the syn free ones ) such as Batchelors tomato, onion & herb pour into flan dish and then top with cottage cheese mixture.

Back