psyllium husks

Well I'm crunching on my rather yummy experimental husky crisps as I type! I have visions of choking uncontrollably but I have a large glass of water at my side to combat any of that! They are much more bulky than without husks and have more substance. All in all more satisfying!

Am I totally mad and should I stop munching now? Will the husky demons get me?

I LOVE THE HUSKS, THEY aRE MY BEST FRIEND ON THIS DIET.
THE ADD BULK,
ENABLE ME TO SPLIT MY FOOD PACKS SO I DON'T FEEL DEPRIVED
THEY GIVE ME SOFT POO
AND MOST OF ALL .......

MY POO DOESN'T SMELL!!!!

LOL... :D :D :D :D :D I decided (having a few probs with it all) to order some online just now so.. off to get cinnamen powder too! Sounds delicious!

I love all the recipe ideas people have... anything to take away that odd taste (is it the iron?)...

They do have an odd taste on their own: I find the food packs cover this. The first time I tried them I followed the instructions on the pack and had them in water .... OMFG!!! I thought I'd swallowed frog spawn!! Gag gag gag :eek:

They definitely have to be used as an 'ingredient' because they're pretty disgusting otherwise!

Oli .... you now officially have the 'Husky-Bug'!! PH crisps? What a fab idea! :D

They do have an odd taste on their own: I find the food packs cover this.

Food packs? Not heard of those... ooh do tell... am definitely going to try the PH crisps!!

OMG - confirmation says they take 10 days to arrive... perhaps a trip to Boots is in order tomorrow.. (stuff happening in the rear that is rather unpleasant!!):eek: :eek:

Boots? They don't sell PH (do you mean to get laxatives?) You're more likely to find them in a small independant health food shop.

Does anyone have a GNC health food shop near them? I bought a gold card from mine for £5 (lasts a year) and it entitles me to 20% of EVERY purchase and extra discount on 'specials'.

That means a £9 tub of psyllium husks costs me £7.20 ... and my £5 'investment' is paid after a couple of tubs. You can also use your card online. Here's a link

GNC

Hope this helps :)

Doh! I'll go to a health food shop - there is one of those on the High Street in Rushden (which is the nearest big town).. thanks Debbie, I'd have trekked all the way into Northampton otherwise!:D (I did mean the husks.. not taking laxatives.. got a date Sunday and don't want to be worrying about the impact! lol):eek:

A date eh??
Be sure to keep us posted! ;)

It's the same ..... but because it's got stuff 'added' (probiotics) remember to check the nutritional label to check for carbs and cals.

Whole 'pure' psyllium husks contain NO cals or carbs.

I tried an experiment this morning for Coley (you there coley??) who had problems with gloopy porrige.

I made my shake up with just under 400ml of very hot water with NO PH in it. Poured it into a bowl and sprinkled the PH on top then gave it a good brisk stir with a fork.

At first, it went all lumpy and I though 'sh** - I've ruined my breakfast' but I kept stirring and after about 30 seconds, the lumps began to reduce and the whole thing thickened up. I stirred for about 1 minute then sprinkled some cinnamon on top.
I left it for another minute whilst I made myself a cup of coffee and it was lovely! Even better than whisking it all together with a blender.

So I'll be doing it this way myself from now on. :) I suppose we can only discover things if we take a risk and experiment a bit.

Ummm - I wouldn't exactly describe myself as 'an expert' but as I suspected, the added ingredients in the Holland & Barrett stuff DOES contain carbs. For someone on a normal diet, this wouldn't pose much of a problem but from someone on a ketogenic diet such as ours, I think there's a chance it could have an effect.

The recommended dose is, I believe, 10g per day (I have more than that - but am only having the whole PH) and 9g of carbs in a 10g scoop seems like it's almost entirely carb! It also has a hefty calorie count.

To be honest, I'd stick with the WHOLE PSYLLIUM HUSKS with NO additives. You know for sure then that it CANNOT affect your diet.

I've put in a link to a good place to get them where you can also get discounts if you purchase a gold card (£5 for a year which gives you 20% saving on ALL purchases: you recoup this with what you save on just a couple of pots or so of PH!) They also have High Street shops throughout the UK.

Here's the link again .. the company is called GNC. I don't know if they charge postage because I go into the shop in Chichester to get mine.

GNC

Hope this helps!

Ummm - I wouldn't exactly describe myself as 'an expert' but as I suspected, the added ingredients in the Holland & Barrett stuff DOES contain carbs. For someone on a normal diet, this wouldn't pose much of a problem but from someone on a ketogenic diet such as ours, I think there's a chance it could have an effect.

The recommended dose is, I believe, 10g per day (I have more than that - but am only having the whole PH) and 9g of carbs in a 10g scoop seems like it's almost entirely carb! It also has a hefty calorie count.

To be honest, I'd stick with the WHOLE PSYLLIUM HUSKS with NO additives. You know for sure then that it CANNOT affect your diet.

I've put in a link to a good place to get them where you can also get discounts if you purchase a gold card (£5 for a year which gives you 20% saving on ALL purchases: you recoup this with what you save on just a couple of pots or so of PH!) They also have High Street shops throughout the UK.

Here's the link again .. the company is called GNC. I don't know if they charge postage because I go into the shop in Chichester to get mine.

GNC

Hope this helps!

Thanks debbie....the one G linked to (that I was actually lookign at earlier!!) seems to have 0.4g carb per 6g which is sooo much lower!

Have tried that link you sent....but apparently the Isle of Man is not part of the UK....first I;ve heard of it!!

hiya, yea theres no picture but if you click on view label, one does come up.
I bought it because it was recommended on here before, also in the ingredients it only list the psyllium husk..so its purely that.

I looked at the label and it also contains 'additives' ... grasses etc. It also doesn't have a nutritional label saying what the carb/cal content is.

Honestly ladies ... I'm not going to say 'don't have this or that' but the ONLY psyllium husk product I'd personally recommend is one that is WHOLE PH with NO additives of any kind.

I'd hate for one of you to follow my advice to have PH to prevent constipation and then be thrown out of ketosis because you used the ones with 'extras'.

This is what the nutritional label should look like ...
Vitamins, Minerals, Herbal Products online at GNC

Just my advice :)

HELP!!!!!!
YIKESSSSSSSSS!

I bought 2 whole tubs of the REGUCOL, have looked at the label and its got 1g of carb per 5g, shuks thats 20%!

Please could someone confirm which I can use? Im confused as someone on the site pointed me in the direction of regucol, maybe i should read back and try to find them as maybe they dont know like i didnt about the carb content!

Just when things were getting interesting I go and blow it by NOT reading the label! Complacency is why i put 21lb back on and why Im back on the route to slimdom AGAIN!!!

Back