Pysllium Husks and Eczema

Loopeylou

Gold Member
I've been taking the husks now for just over a week - but still only going to the loo once a week??
Trouble is my eczema has really flared, itching and patches is areas I wouldn't normally - my back is driving me mad!!
I checked the net and the husks can cause this side effect :(

Has anyone else experienced this?
Now I can't take the husks I'm scared of taking another similar supplement just in case same happens - any advice welcome please.

Off to apply lotion AGAIN lol xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

If they are giving you this problem then I would stop taking them straight away. Another option would be wheat bran (idea stolen from Phoenix!). I now use that instead and I have a tablespoon in my porridge in the morning (and another at supper time if having porridge). It contains around 13 calories and 1g of carbs per tablespoon so you might want to think about whether you're happy doing this. I believe that Phoenix uses only 1 tsp a day so it may be I just need more fibre than most!

Don't use the oat bran instead as it contains more carbs - unless of course you know you're ok with higher carbs.

weasey said:
If they are giving you this problem then I would stop taking them straight away. Another option would be wheat bran (idea stolen from Phoenix!). I now use that instead and I have a tablespoon in my porridge in the morning (and another at supper time if having porridge). It contains around 13 calories and 1g of carbs per tablespoon so you might want to think about whether you're happy doing this. I believe that Phoenix uses only 1 tsp a day so it may be I just need more fibre than most!

Don't use the oat bran instead as it contains more carbs - unless of course you know you're ok with higher carbs.

Thank you, I used to have wheat bran when I did Dukan so know I'm ok with it :)
Have stopped the husks ( took 2 first thing this morn though ) thankfully have my creams with me and also some anti histimine so should feel better soon I hope.

Will find a holland and barratt on Tues, at least where we are on holiday there's plenty of shops :) xxx

I can only speak for what i use....

I have 1 movicol sachet every morning and i have 2 teaspoons of oat bran in my porridge or chilli.....

If I do have any problems.... Every now and then i have some senna before bed!!!

X

Deezer said:

I have 1 movicol sachet every morning and i have 2 teaspoons of oat bran in my porridge or chilli.....

If I do have any problems.... Every now and then i have some senna before bed!!!

X

Ducolax helped but will be getting some wheat bran.
Is oat bran ok though, isn't it higher in carbs? Xx

Oat bran is higher carbs - but ou can always use My Fitness Pal to make sure you aren't going too high in carbs overall.

It is higher carb but i LOVE it in my porridge and i only have 2 teaspoons!!!

: ) X

If your having it as your breakfast!!! (Obv when not on plan lol) Do you make it up like porridge???

x

Deezer said:
If your having it as your breakfast!!! (Obv when not on plan lol) Do you make it up like porridge???

x

Lol
I used to soak 30g in water overnight then microwave in the morning for 1.45 - 2.00 mins
Then I'd stir through a drop of milk to make it creamier Yummy..... Def a good option when coming off S&S as it is so much better for you than porridge xx

Ooooh wow... I'm planning lots of stuff now.... ready for a mass buy at the health food shop!!!

So is Dukan Low GI???

X

Deezer said:
Ooooh wow... I'm planning lots of stuff now.... ready for a mass buy at the health food shop!!!

So is Dukan Low GI???

X

You can get Oatbran from supermarkets too :) I used to get Mornflake Oatbran.

Dukan is low GI, basically protein one day then protein and veg the next plus 2.5 tbsp Oatbran a day.
Once at goal you eat sensibly but on one day a week you only eat protein.
Check out the Dukan forum :) but feel free to ask me anything. I really enjoyed the plan and will prob consider it when nearer my goal.
I lost 17lb in 5 weeks on it xx

Well Asda don't seem to do bran these days. Will have to look out for some in another supermarket. I fancy trying that when I'm at goal and low GIing.

Deezer said:

X

Movicol is what a doctor would recommend. No idea of the carb content but I believe it is really effective :)

BordersGirl said:
Well Asda don't seem to do bran these days. Will have to look out for some in another supermarket. I fancy trying that when I'm at goal and low GIing.

Sainsburys were doing it up-to a few weeks ago.

Definitely worth a go, it's yummy and so versatile xx

I wonder if it's normal to make your eczema flare up. I've got psorisis and it's not had any effect (that I've noticed) on that.

Back