Question about BMI

sassey50kg

determined to be thin!
Hi everyone,
I know that the BMI is the perfered way to calulate 'ideal weight'.
My question is, do you use your weight with clothes mid-way through the day, or, first thing in the morning naked?
Its only a difference of 4-5lbs in my case, but I still would like to know the answer....
Thanks all xx

I weigh myself first thing, naked after going to the loo every time. It makes a difference of about 5lbs if I don't.

I don't know the official CD answer to this, but thinking about it logically, I would say that it probably should be the weight you are with your clothes on (maybe not your shoes) in the middle of the day, as if you were being weighed at the doctor's or something. Because that's the weight that your body has to carry around on a daily basis, not the first thing in the morning weight--it doesn't stay that low for long, does it? One cup of coffee and you'll be up a pound. And I think when (not if--see how positive I'm trying to be? :D) I get to BMI 25 plus one stone, the weight my CD counsellor will go by is the weight I am on her scales in the evening when I'm fully dressed as to whether I should come off sole source and start working my way up the plans.

Just my thoughts, as I said. I'm sure someone will come along with the correct answer soon.

No your acurate BMI is based on your morning weight, naked. If you go to the doc during the day yes they will calculate your BMI based on the weight they see on the scales but its only a guide and not an absolute. If you are borderline for something you need to be under a certain BMI I am sure they would make an allowence or re weigh you in the morning in your underwear time if you asked them to......

BMI is not the preferred measurement but it is the easiest to calculate as you just need weight and height, 2 people who are the same height and weight may have very different body fat percentages due to bone structure and build.

The most accurate way to measure a persons body fat is to actually measure the loose inches of skin from certain parts of the body like the back and tummy etc....

However 4-5 lbs will not a huge impact on BMI depending on height a 0.5 to 1.0 variance and it really is only an issue if it is used for a cut off for something or other like a medical procedure.

Hope that helps

Back