Question about syns - what are your experiences?

tealover12

I have been wondering about this.......can you use your syns as 105 per week or have they to be used on the day?

I found this on the FAQ thread......and wonder therefore if those of you who have dabbled could perhaps share your findings and recommendations?

Should I have them daily or weekly?

This is a debate that continues to rumble on. The official Slimming World guidelines are that you should have them daily and you can’t roll them over or save them up as this may promote ‘binge eating’. Whether saving your syns up and using them all at once, a night in the pub for example, affects your weight loss it largely down to individual circumstances.

If you want to do this all I can advise is that you keep an eye on it, if you notice a slow in your weight loss, plateaus or gains this may be the cause so maybe have a rethink.
many thanks

I tend to use mine daily but if I've a big night out coming up I will plan for the week and save my syns. I did this for my son's 21st and lost 5 lbs that week. Everyone is different, I think you have to find out what works for you x

I've only got two weeks of SW under my belt but I've been using my syns daily. I've struggled with binge eating and I don't like the idea of saving all the syns up and then eating a load of stuff in one go as it defeats the purpose of trying to get control of what I'm eating. I think though for special occasions I can see why it's a useful tool.

Hi, I tend to use 5-8 daily then use 17-22 on a Saturday from the difference in what I haven't used in week! I aim to have 70 syns per week. I have tried saving ALL syns for an occassion but it just doesn't work for me as I tend to get frustrated @ lack of interest in food and tends to put too much focus on NOT eating stuff, and I am rubbish at being told what I can't do! The big reason sw works for me is because it is all about what I CAN have! U just need to fi.d what works for you!

Personally I use them daily but I am relaxed with it in that if i needed/wanted to go over one day I would counteract it the following day. If I have a planned night out or occassion I will decide how many extra I need and cut back in the days before and after to accommodate it.

I try to use mine daily, and use flexible syns (i.e. over and above the daily 15 / weekly 105 syns) for big occasions. I might have less than 15 syns one day and more than 15 syns the next, but not significantly so. I found that if I saved everything for the weekend I didn't get such good losses - but everybody's different and you might find that saving up works for you. Trial and error is the key :)

I use mine as a weekly total but never have less than 5-8 in a day

I have started making a 70 syn bag full of goodies and use it weekly. It is full of goodies and I know if one night I fancy a second chocolate etc there will be less for the rest of the week then! This also leaves me 5 syns a day to use on any sauces if required. I always used to use them daily but always found myself being too strict on myself this way it is set out what I can have. Seems to be working so far too

I use them weekly. Some days I'l have 2 or 3 and some days 20. It's always worked better for me that way.

I have started making a 70 syn bag full of goodies and use it weekly. It is full of goodies and I know if one night I fancy a second chocolate etc there will be less for the rest of the week then! This also leaves me 5 syns a day to use on any sauces if required. I always used to use them daily but always found myself being too strict on myself this way it is set out what I can have. Seems to be working so far too

I like that idea - I think I'd end up eating the bag too early and be left with nothing at the end of each week though, can't be trusted with goodies around me haha! :D

I love the idea of a bag of syns!! However I'm an advocate of daily and I change my mind so much that I like the flexibility of a daily limit without having to remember what's gone before or will come tomorrow!!

I use mine daily. But I usually work on the /105 rule so if I go over for the day then I know I have to cut down one day in the week... I find it works for me that way and isn't so restricting. I've never saved them all up and used them all in one go so can't really comment on that part, but I know people on here who have and have still lost weight x

So far I've used mine every day, some days I might only have a few, other days I've gone over the 15. Each morning I start afresh. If I saved them up, e.g. for the weekend, I think I'd spend too much time Mon-Fri focused on what I couldn't have, and I'd get bored.

CD

I'm a nightmare with my syns...I never have enough. I WI on a Thursday morning, Thursday night I play darts , have a drink (usually 1 x lager & lime because I'm driving) but I like to sit with the girls and have some of the buffet.( I rarely go over 15, even with the buffet) Every other day, I struggle...my syns usually consist of gravy or salad cream, and a cheesey triangle. I've got a lot to lose still, even though I'm almost half way there since June, and the way I eat is working for me. I get told continually that I don't have enough syns, but to begin with, I found myself having something late at night (that's when I bring my diary up to date) just so that I can count more syns, so not because I fancied something.....more just for the sake of it. I don't understand people telling me if I have MORE syns, I'll lose more weight and quicker, when I'm already full up, and not hungry. I always thought the premise was, use up more calories than you take in, and you will lose weight.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE everything naughty on the planet I think (food wise that is! lol! )but once I start I can't stop, so...I don't buy things that tempt me. I enjoy what I eat, doesn't feel like a diet, and I definitely don't feel deprived.
I'd love to hear other peoples views on this.
:confused:..I'm a slow loser some weeks...but still a loser...since I started I've STS one week and the rest have been losses. I would just like to speed up a bit! (we ladies are never satisfied are we?)
I do EE BTW xx

I love this idea, i'm starting tomorrow and have made my self a box of treats worth 60 syns.

I'd like to keep ten for a chinese one per week which leaves me 5 per day for sauces/dressings.

First day tomorrow my treat box and my meals are planned for the week so fingers crossed i can stick with it this time x

I'm pretty relaxed about it all. I stick to 15 a day. Then if I have a meal out and go over, I just eat less syns for the next few days. I find the stress free approach works best for me. Maybe not the best approach for a new member.

Awww I love the idea of a treat box :) I think I could only do a 50 syn box really as I have to syn soya yogurt for my breakfast each day. What do you put in your box? Think ill have some popcorn, mini choc bars, cereal bars, dried fruit, crackers...hmmmm

Awww I love the idea of a treat box :) I think I could only do a 50 syn box really as I have to syn soya yogurt for my breakfast each day. What do you put in your box? Think ill have some popcorn, mini choc bars, cereal bars, dried fruit, crackers...hmmmm

I bought some of the fun size chocolate and used a marker to write the syns on the packet.

In the box this week i have 2 packets of pickled onion monster munch 5.5 syns each then 5 packets of space raiders which are 3 syns each a flake for 7 syns and milkybar for 7 syns then the rest is made of up fun size choc.

I have hid the remaining funsize choc so i wont be tempted. I have enough to have some chocolate and a packet of crisps per day. Saved 10 for a chinese and 5 per day for sauces ect but trying to keep all of my meals free.

I think its a great idea just hope i dont eat it all at once! Lol i'm just starting today x

I have all the left overs from multipacks locked up in my garage amd have the key out of eye site :)
This week mine was a chocoholics dream!
Had 1x daim
1x crunchie
2x ripple
3x curly wurly
3x velvet crunch
1x popcorn
1x pink and white

Came to 68 syns. I have until thursday morning for weigh in and still have 1x crisps 2x curly wurly and a ripple left. Chocolate bar everynight after I put my baby to bed... jackpot! :)

Back