Question for the girls .... sorry!

Dobbie

I will get to goal .....
Hi girls,

Sorry to divulge too much info but my period isn't due until the end of this week and yet on Friday I came on :mad:. How can this be???

I am on the pill and haven't missed any but never had this before. Is it this crazy diet do you think? Also, what will happen when I am actually due on? Will I get 2 this month? And, given that I am apparently all over the place am I still protected? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

HELP!!!

Not sure about being on the pill but i know that it does mess with your periods(although not for everyone) as since i started i have only had 3 weeks that i've not bled. In fact i had to get tablets from the doctors to stop me bleeding as at one point as i had been bleeding for over 5 weeks non stop and was starting to feel dizzy and weak :cry:

I know there are a few girls on the pill on here, hopefully one will be able to help with regards to your other questions :)

Hi Dobbie,

Yep it is the crazy diet I'm afraid - from speaking to my counsellor and the posts here on minimins some ladies find that when they start CD it can play havoc with their cycle and others are un-affected.

With the pill I am on I had not had a period in 18 months (a pleasant side-effect of the brand I take :p) but once I started cd I had 2 periods in 6 weeks, but then I have not had any since so things seem to have settled down again.

This is what the official cambridge site says about the matter:
Does the ‘Sole Source’ programme affect the menstrual cycle?
Hormone levels fluctuate when there are changes in weight – particularly in women. For most, the menstrual cycle is not affected, but some women experience increased activity and breakthrough bleeding may occur. Others may find that their periods stop for a while. Once target weight is reached and weight loss ceases, the metabolic rate will adjust to a new level appropriate to the new weight, and the hormones will settle down and find their own pattern again.

PS - as far as I know the diet should not affect the efficiency of your pill but it might be an idea to double check this with a cdc or your GP to be sure :)

Aww Ruthlet - thank you! Nice to know I'm not just some freak!!

Have made an appointment with the practice nurse to be sure and I think I'll change over to the implant if it's suitable for me. Can't be doing with all this havoc in that dept :eek:!!!

Hi Dobbie
I know we are all different and make our own choices but word of warning re implant - i had it in for 6 months and in that six months gained two stone! not to mention had HORRIBLE mood swings to the extent my OH almost left me AND i once called him from Singapore threatening to jump off a 37th floor balcony for no real reason.... oh and it gave me acne lol

i now have a mirena coil - i know some women hate them and have bad experiences but its the best thing ever imho

HOWEVER i havent had a period in three years with this coil in - - now - three weeks into CD SS and a stone down - i have spotted for a few days - - so maybe this crazy but fab diet affects all hormonal types of contraception.

Blimey slushy ..... bad news about 2 stone with implant!! I've got an appt with the nurse this evening to discuss it. Will see what she says - I'm quite sensitive to the levels of hormones in different pills so worried the implant might affect me too. Perhaps a coil is the way to go!! Just think it's about time I got off the pill - been on it for 11 years now.

Thanks for all the advice guys x

Hi Dobbie - I'm on the pill and came on early due to starting the diet. I just stopped taking my pills that week, making it my pill-free week and then started them again 7 days later, and I've been fine since. Hope that helps! Anoushka xx

Thanks hun .... too late to stop taking my pills i think?! Will find out later from the nurse.

Just been reading up on the contraceptive options available .... blimey all sooo mind boggling!!! And nearly everything has weight gain as a side effect (implant, injection etc). We just can't win can we?!

Loving the idea of a coil, but OMG all the websites say the result will be heavier bleeds :confused::mad:. Dam it .... wish I was a boy :(

When I first started CD I had the implant and I used to bleed every other week, I decided to have it removed and I now use the patch. I have not had any problems with this since my restart.:)

I am on cerazette and have not had a proper period in 4 years - I started the CD 3 weeks ago, and am on my second proper period in that time - I am sure it will settle down eventually, but I am using extra precations on top, just in case (though have been told pill is still effective)

I have the coil, hadnt had a period for 16 months and (TADA) came on last week.

I actually cried, was like being 14 again!

Crap innit xxx

OMG the things we suffer eh?!!!

periods

HI YES THE PERIODS DO MUCK UP... I AM ALSO ON THE PILL AND SOMETIMES HAVING A BLEED IN BETWEEN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS.. :mad:ITS NOT NICE BUT HEH WE ARE STILL LOSING WEIGHT .:D

I think I've used every contraception method under the sun.. lol.. The last time I stuck to SS my periods stopped for 2 months. Bonus! I started SS this time on day 1 of my cycle so have yet to see if it affects me this time!

I had the implant and bled constantly for about 6 weeks. I got so fed up I had it taken out. Am on the pill at the moment, which is supposed to be helping PCOS but isn't (!!) so was thinking of trying the Mirena coil. I had it after my daughter was born. We'll see...

Hope things settle down for you hun.. I'd keep taking the pill as usual if I was you :)

I'm not on any contraceptives but mine have also been all over the shop!

Gx

i'm not using any contraception and my periods have been like clockwork right from the start, until this month when I started RTM and I was 4 days late. It seems all a bit strange that it effects everyone differently.

Aww Ruthlet - thank you! Nice to know I'm not just some freak!!
Ah no Dobbie, bad logic I'm afraid. Just 'cos Ruthlet has had similar experiences doesn't mean you're not a freak!
Seriously : a significant proportion of women doing CD S/S get a temporary menstrual disturbance. Either missing a few or getting an extra long period. I ought to know why this happens but I don't. At a general, simplistic level we know that any alteration in diet/emotion/habits can put it out of rhythm temporarily. The important thing is that it is
a) entirely benign
b) self correcting.
c) & if you have PCOS then in the long run things will be better than pre CD as weight loss really helps here.

Have made an appointment with the practice nurse to be sure and I think I'll change over to the implant if it's suitable for me. Can't be doing with all this havoc in that dept :eek:!!!

Please don't rush into this. If it doesn't suit you, it's a long time til the depot wears off. I know individual bad reactions like those reported by Slushy are preceisely that, ie individual.
If you are interested in others' experiences try reading the diary of Russian Doll who also had a depot implant earlier this year.

Not everyone is susceptible to the unpleasant side effects, of course, but if there's a subsection of women who are more likely than the rest to suffer from weight gain & mood swings with a depo, then it's those who have already become overweight. The propensity has been demonstrated.

It may be the perfect solution to your contraceptive & cycle needs.All I'm saying is make sure you're certain before you present your self to the needle.

i have the mirena coil and have been on since beginning of may when it went in ....... gonna have to come out , with the rest of the basket me thinks !!!!! . ( 4 c sections and sterilisation got no use for it now ). wouldnt mind the diet messing me around.... i might get a few days off !!!!

Crikey that's some period! poor you.
I'd like to wecome you to the 4x caeser club. I've had that too. Lower tumm looks like a map of a shunting yard, but they've got to come put one way or another I guess. A friend of mine has had 5 !

In the old days ,I'm told, it was 3 strikes then they whipped all your bits out.

mind you there's a lot of things that people 'get told' like not being asble to drive fo 6 weeks after a section. load of tosh. since the low ;ine incision has been used they no longe cut through the bulk of the abdominal muscles etc. Luckily I didn't hear this rumour & was driving within a week. not relevent here just came in to my head as part of the mix of things that arrive when I tak about caesarian sections

Last edited:
Back