Question - Probably for a CDC to answer

SteveM

Silver Member
I have a problem!! I restarted CD SS last Tuesday, the day before my CDC went on holiday for two weeks, and we both said that I needed two weeks packs to get me through her absence ..... duh, no! I need 15 days worth of packs to get me through to when I next see her - I checked this morning and I am 4 packs short!!

Now, is it safe/okay for me to alternate days where I have the normal 4 packs with days when I have 3 packs so that I can build up a spare 3 packs go get me through the last day to weigh-in??

I suppose one positive I can take from this is that I am looking at this problem from the mindset that I will still be SSing in a week!!

What is SS+?? I know about SS, AAM, 790, 1000, 1200, 1500. HAs it all changed? My CDC never mentioned anything, but then again she didn't need to as I was SS!!

Will SS+ affect me in any negative way at all, because I have been going through hell for the past week (and still am to a certain degree) so I do not want to do anything that will set me back again.

What is SS+?? I know about SS, AAM, 790, 1000, 1200, 1500. HAs it all changed? My CDC never mentioned anything, but then again she didn't need to as I was SS!!

It appears you have the old plans. It's all been updated and now there is SS, SS+, 810, 1000, 1200 and 1500. SS and SS+ are both VLCDs and you can do them for 12 weeks at a time, after which you have a week on 810, then back to SS or SS+ again if you wish.

Will SS+ affect me in any negative way at all, because I have been going through hell for the past week (and still am to a certain degree) so I do not want to do anything that will set me back again.

SS+ wont set you back and really does seem a good option for you since you are short of packs. The weight losses are very similar but it will include some 'food', so you do need to be careful about weighing. It's a great plan though.

I'll pm you :)

Okay, with some great help from KD and a bit of thinking I have come up with what I think is a very cunning plan!!

As of this morning I had 28 packs to last me 8 days .... so:

Tue 21st: SS+ 3 packs and G&W meal
Wed 22nd: SS+ 3 packs and G&W meal
Thu 23rd: SS 4 packs
Fri 24th: SS 4 packs
Sat 25th: SS 4 packs
Sun 26th: SS 4 packs
Mon 27th: SS 4 packs
Tue 28th: SS 2 packs (+2 from new puchase w/ WI)
--
28 packs

Only 2 days off SS, and even then it is only SS+ !!

I am a happy chappy.

Okay fello CDers.

I got through the first problems, and through the pack shortage problems, and have now almost made it to two weeks (WI tomorrow).

However ......

I have been to the gym twice in the past 5 days (I have not broken my promise to my CDC, I just went to the coffee bar there for a black coffee .... and to sort of remind myself where it was :D). Now, as I had no weigh in after the first week due to CDC being on holiday I was curious, so 5 days ago when I was there I jumped on the scales to find that I was about 10-12 pounds down (though I will take this with a pinch of salt [metaphorically .... don't want water retention!] as it is only the CDC WI that counts). This was great and a massive motivational boost. BUT .....

Yesterday I went up there again and did the same, and my weight was EXACTLY the same .... after 4 more days of SS. Has anyone seen this when on SS - your weight-loss seemingly stop dead?? :confused: I am still in ketosis and have all the "symptoms", and the P-stick always registers .... I have been 100% true to the diet, and am now utterly confused.

ALSO, I have developed a discomfort in my lower back (lower left - my left arm side - just above the waist). It has been there pretty constantly since Friday - sometimes worse than others. I'm no expert, but I think that is about where my kidney is ..... anyone else experienced this kind of thing?? I am having one hell of a rough ride with this spell of SS!!!!

Okay, the back discomfort is sorted. I will try to put this as best I can ..... it all appears to have been caused by excessive retention of liquids and solids causing discomfort in the kiney area ...... took something to address that issue, and the problems have gone away.

Not sure about the weight thing - very strange - but maybe all linked together. I will find out the results of my two weeks of suffering tonight, so fingers crossed!
:scale:

hiya steve,
I amk seriel weigher and often get 3-4 days when there is no loss maybe even a slight gain, then as in this last week 4lb off right at the end...
Our bodies are funny like that...
What I would say, is that if you weigh in between really DO take it with a pinch of salt... you are doing great and don't want to upset your head that something is going wrong.
Good luck for your weigh in!
x

I was about 10-12 pounds down (though I will take this with a pinch of salt

Good man :clap:
Yesterday I went up there again and did the same, and my weight was EXACTLY the same .... after 4 more days of SS.

KD goes to find that pinch of salt that Steve seems to have lost :D

Has anyone seen this when on SS - your weight-loss seemingly stop dead?? :confused:
Yep. Every week. Down, down, down...stop, stop, stop, stop.

And even sometimes
Big down, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop etc.
I am still in ketosis and have all the "symptoms", and the P-stick always registers .... I have been 100% true to the diet, and am now utterly confused.
Bodies are weird. Fat can leave the fat cell but be replaced with water. You'll then get your 'whoosh' after a few days.

Exercising can do this too as muscles will often hold on to water whilst they are repairing. Don't go too mad on the exercise...gently, bently and all that. Too much can be counterproductive.

Very glad to hear the pain is sorted. What did you take?

KD, I have not been exercising at all. Just went to the coffee bar at the gym. I used to be an exercise-aholic and I promised my CDC I would not exercise at all whilst on SS, and I have stuck to that. I will go back to exercising though when I hit 12st 7lbs .... my first target. When I get there I will start coming up the levels, and will only start exercising then.

On that note, I have seen you post a number of times saying that research shows that cardio exercise is bad ..... is this only whilst VLCD?? I tend to split my exercising 80% cardio and 20% weights ... and I tend to go (when I am in the routine) every weekday before work (in the gym @ 6am!!) and one evening for a Body Pump class (or similar). Other evenings I will cycle a few miles if the weather is okay :)

Now you can see why my CDC wanted me to stay away!! Anyhow, just wanted to check that going back to that once my food intake can support it is okay. I found that with that level of output, eating was not an issue - my problem was that I got injured (damaged shoulder whilst working on a roof in France) and did not reduce that intake when the exercise dropped off ..... stooopid, stooopid mistake. Partly comfort eating etc etc. All the usual excuses .... and I know they are that!

Anyway - just want to check that the issues I have read about are only regarding exercising on VLCD.

Regards what I took ... Dulcolax, 2 of, twice. It's like dynamite that stuff!

KD, I have not been exercising at all. Just went to the coffee bar at the gym.

LOL. I misunderstood :D
On that note, I have seen you post a number of times saying that research shows that cardio exercise is bad ..... is this only whilst VLCD??
Now you can see why my CDC wanted me to stay away!!
Okay, I need to clarify. My thoughts about exercising on a VLCD come from what I have read from other reliable sources, rather than from Cambridge.

People have various opinions. Those who believe that if you exercise 3,500 cals off, you will lose an extra pound regargless of diet. Those who prefer not to encourage exercise because

a) people expect a bigger loss, but they often have water retention which demotivates them.

b) some people find it makes you hungrier, or it can give you a false sense of security over how much you can eat.

For both a) and b), many counsellors (not just CDCs) will discourage exercise.

I'm in the 3rd corner. Too much exercise when on a VLCD can have a detrimental effect on the metabolism and lean mass...which is something entirely different.

Notice that I say 'too much'. Exercise is good for many other reasons...just don't go mad and don't expect the scales to reward you with your efforts.

Anyway - just want to check that the issues I have read about are only regarding exercising on VLCD.
General guidelines from what I have read is that the threshold is about 800 kcals or less, though possibly also with anything more than 1,000 calories deficit. So for a fella, I'd still be cautious of doing too much at 810. Actually feel a safer amount is 1200 kcals as research has pointed to this figure as 'safe' from met. and LBM viewpoint.

Resistance appears to be good regardless of intake.

Regards what I took ... Dulcolax, 2 of, twice. It's like dynamite that stuff!
Powerful stuff! Not usually recommended on a VLCD, but obviously seemed to be fine for you. Best to take a preventer every day like fibresure or fibre89...before the problem starts.

Glad you got it sorted though.

Okay, so the posts relate purely to "Exercise whilst on a VLCD". Just wanted to check that once my intake was back up (I will take your advice and hold off until 1200) my exercise regime was not going to be bad for me!!

Thanks,

Just noticed my adjusted ticker - hope it is not a sign ..... I am in the bunker, and knowing my golf game that is not a good sign at all! :D

Okay, had my weigh-in and I dropped 12lbs. A good start. I am going to try to stick with SS for another week and see if the hunger feeling goes away properly. If it is still there after another week, then I might have to rethink what I am doing.

12lbs is fab Steve! Blimey :clap:

Oh, I am well chuffed with 12lbs (ave. 6lbs over the two weeks).

It is not because I am disappointed in the loss that I will rethink what I am doing, it is because of the constant and uncomfortable feeling of hunger. It just takes over at times, and I don't know how much longer I can put up with it.

I know that it wouldn't necessarily be any better doing something else, but it plays on your mind all the time.

I talked about it with my CDC last night, but all she had to say is "oh, that is a bit unusual after two weeks and clear indications of ketosis. Don't worry, it will go away." ...... easy to just say it will go away, but it is not that easy ignoring it .... and what if it doesn't!!

It is unusual for the hunger to hang about like this.

How did you find it when you added food on those days you were short of packs? Was it any easier?

Back