quick question about my dog

helsbels

hi, my 9 year old ish (he's a rescue dog) rotti cross has been drinking a lot of water tonight and. he's had his tea and i took him out at 9pm and he's been drinking muddy puddles all the way down the road. he's got a clean bucket of water round the back of the house. his feet seemed to be scraping on the floor aswell. why could he be drinking so much?? i gave him some left over gamon, could it be the salt in that or he has a large strength of cod live oil tablet ever morning. just was trying to find and answer. thanks for reading peeps

Hi

It more than likely is the salt from the gammon however he continues to do it for more than 3 days then I would send him to the vet just to have him checked over.

My old english sheep dog stole a cooked ham ( a big one) scoffed it all and drank loads and loads of water for about 2 days .

I did read before that bacon is not good for a dogs tummy.

Let me know how he is

thanks both of you for replying. he's eaten most of his dinner tonight (just ped. chum and mixer) which is what he usually gets. i haven't given him his cod liver oil tablet incase that was messing him up. he's plodded along on his walk tonight, but he is knocking 10 i think, but like i said we got him from the dogs trust. i'm sure our vets has a walk in clinic on a night, my parnter wasn't home till 8pm so couldn't go as we've got a 6 year old and a 1 year old. it would of been a nightmare sitting in there with them, the waiting rooms only small. hopefully he'll be finished early tomorrow as he's working local so i'm gonna take him then. as i noticed 1/2 a power ball on the back garden this morning (bloody kids and their toys) so if he's troffed that down as he has known to in the past with tennis balls then that won't be helping. thanks again and will let you's know if anything said tomorrow.

Please let us know how he is.

I know how it is to be worried. One of our dogs is quite poorly at the moment. She was diagnosed with a liver disorder last Friday. She kept licking her feet and we thought it was just an infection because she had made them raw. It was scary how quickly she deteriorated so keep an eye on him and if everything isn't right I'd get him to the vets (although maybe I'm just being oversensitive).

Hugs to you and him xxx

thanks, gonna take him tonight when partner gets back. he wanted to go out lastnight so when he was let out in the garden he was trying to be sick! he's wanting to drink lots of water too. mind you the house is warm and he'd prefer to drink it out of a mankey old plant pot than his fresh bucket of water every morning, or he even clambers up and drinks from the sink in out on suite. will keep in touch though.

right, he went to the vets lastnight and they took some blood. got results today, everything fine. they also did the white/red cell thing. i started thinking about my parents akita that died of lukemia at 3, but they came back fine. so tomorrow he's gonna have an xray to see if he's swallowed anything that he shouldn't of the little piggy that he is. so will drop him off and then pick him up at dinner time when i finish work. having said that he was playing piggy in the middle in the street tonight with the kids and a football and he seemed fine. he still hasn't eaten his dinner, but has eaten a couple of markies which i gave him before i came up to bed. id the xray shows nothing i'll probably change his food. he's on pedigree chum and mixer, i even put a bit of gravy on it but he aint touching it. we'll see anyway. night night everyone

how is he ? Hope all is well.

Its been a bad week for ourselves this week also , one of dogs broke all his toes on his left back paw. Its an unusual injury to get.... just running along and paw went into a hole on the ground. Went to local vet- told us to have him put to sleep as the breaks were very bad, I had a row with the vet cos I would not let him do it. Left in a huff and got second opinion. Dog had operation and toes re aligned. Just the same as if he were a human .This vet has done it many times and says its the new way of doing things. Will be ok in 8 weeks. THANK GOD . Dog in good form. Stupid first vet should be run out of town.... not fit to practice. Now thats what I call progress. Diet out the window .

glad all is well for your dog. i know what you mean about vets and wanting to put a dog/pet to sleep if it seems a hassle to operate and stuff. at the end of the day the way i see it is most of us have a dog as a pet and they are part of the family and you'd do anything for them. my parents used to have two japenese akitas, the dog had skin probs and they forked out a fortune on him. then like i said above the ***** ended up with leukemia. they tried everything to keep her alive but in the end they did have to get her put down but as a last resort as she was very ill. on a lighter note, my muts ok. bloods and xray fine so not sure whats the matter. he has perked up today though. i know it sounds stupid but i was saying to the lasses at work. i've just gone back after having a years maternity leave, do you reckon he could be huffed for getting left during the day :-(

Hiya hope he is ok, more than likely its the gammon, but if it continues i would take him to the vet to see if he hasnt got kanine diabetes.

Ruthy xxx

Opps sorry i didnt realise you had taken him to the vet.......hope he is ok though
Take care
Ruthy xxx

he seems loads better although he's still drinking loads and not eating his dinner (the tinned pedigree chum) he did however like the stuff the vet gave me after he'd been under anaestetic (d'ya know i work in a hospital and i still can't spell that word) he's also eaten the little ones fish that he'd left tonight so must be getting a bit fussy in his old age.

Sorry haven't been back to you on this.
He might not like P chum at all.With rescues u dont really know what they are used to eating . My other dog is an old english sheep dog a rescue and the problems we have with her and her food. She will eat her own ( not a fan of p chum ) but craves human food . No bin is safe. She just eats and eats... doesnt not know when she is full.She is a monster now.

He might like dried food , or soaked dry food either. All you can do is try. Sometimes its the texture of the food that they like best. Ive read before that they can be funny like that. OR if you want to be a bit mean ..... leave him the food , and dont give him anything else. When he is hungry then he'll eat it. Although the whinging in between will be break your heart !!!

hi paris. just to let you know he was fine, then stopeed eating again. partner took him to the vets lastnight who said it was his back end, artherites (sorry spelling) cause he wasn't walking. he's been in his kennel all day and wouldn't/couldn't get out. partner took him to vets who says he's in kidney failier. they are going to try and flush them out but it doesn't look good. i'm supposed to be going out tonight and at a wedding tomorrow. i can't stop blubering and my face is all puffy. it's doing my diet good, i aint eating. i've told my partner i want him home and i'm putting him in the garden, don;t wanna leave him at the vets. this is all if the flushing out doesn't help him. poor lad. thanks again paris for keeping in-touch

my poor pooch died this morning. my boss have given me the day off work, i'm in bits. keep doing stuff to keep my mind from thinking about the big fella. he never came home after my partner tokk him in on friday. he was standing yesterday after they'd given him steroids but he's died this morning. :-( RIP henry xx

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. If you are anything like me - your dog is your baby. Mine is with me in the office today and I can't begin to imagine what you are going through.

I am sending you a big HUG and will be thinking of you.

Take care

Im so sorry to hear about Henry

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

thanks vodka for that. i keep trying to tell myself that he is in a good place and we will see him soon. i'm going to get his ashes put in a stone planter thing along with a little plaque with his name on. then i'll get a nice rose bush and put them all together at our front door where he used to lie. then i know he's still gaurding our house. sweets dreams henry :)

Oh helsbels I am so sorry to hear that. Poor Henry.

You did all that u could for him, and despite him being sick for the last few weeks,Id say he was a happy fella lovin his new family that rescued him.
Its never easy and it will take time but what I would suggest is that in the garden plant a tree or something to remember him- then he will always be there with you.
My heart goes out to you. XXX

Back