Quick question :)

chocoholic20

Hiya, ive started atkins today. I was just wondering if anyone uses MFP to count carbs? Do you deduct the fibre? Im really confused so if anyone could help..? Thankyou! X

hello,

i use MFP and change the percentage to the atkins percentage 65%fat, 30% protein and 5% carb calories should be 1600 daily and that equals 20g carb. i then enter my food daily (before i eat it) and make sure that 15g carbs come from veggies and 5g elsewhere.

if you need to know how to change the percentages you go to goals and then change them but i think its the custom change.

hope that helps hun! and welcome :) make a diary its really handy and everyone is lovely here and always comments and gives great tips!

xxxx

Ah thankyou!! :)

Yeah i will make a diary when i get 2 mins.

Another quick q, do u deduct the fibre too as its saying ive had 7% of carbs but all ive had is a ham and mushroom omelette and tuna mayo salad!

No, you don't deduct the fibre on UK products as the carb count on the label doesn't include fibre. That's only the case for American food labels.

You have to be careful of things like ham if it's the processed kind as some have sugar and fillers in, bulking the carbs up. Always check the carb count on the labels. Same thing goes for mayo, some are higher than others.

What veggies did you put in the salad? Most salad veg is okay, but some can be a bit higher in carbs. Like, if you had grated carrots or something like that.

Also, just to be sure, did you put milk in your eggs when you made the omelette? I know some people do and milk is pretty high in carbs, so that could bulk it up.

The problem I find with MFP is that most of the info is user-inputted, so some things can be pretty inaccurate. I find the best way to do it is just tally it up yourself from the food labels. It's bot as easy or quick as MFP, but at least you know it's accurate.

It's pretty time consuming reading labels and working it out in the beginning, and you'll probably find your shopping trips take twice as long! But when you get into the swing of it, you'll know what you to get and what to avoid and it'll become a second nature to you.

This might help you - but it certainly helped me during induction. If you just eat meat, fish and green vegetables (or any other veg on the allowed list) for starters until you know what you are doing then start adding things like the cheese, cream etc. You can't go wrong then. Try not to overcomplicate things to begin with. By the time you start adding other things (for example a pepperami, pork scratchings etc) you will be confident in reading labels. That really helped me .. if in doubt meat n veg or eggs and meat!

Back