*Race For Life 2009*

I've also signed up - what's everyone doing to prepare for the 5 km?

I've started to walk faster and further in the gym on the treadmill and want to start outdoor training soon!

Hi Rogue,

I'm on a special training programme of interval training. I found it in a magazine and by the end of it, I should be able to run the whole thing, which will be a massive achievement for me, as I have never run before this. I can already feel my fitness improving.

Like you, I want to get outdoors ASAP, but it's still to dark in the evenings by the time I get home.

Best of luck!!! :D xx

Like you, I want to get outdoors ASAP, but it's still to dark in the evenings by the time I get home.

Yes, the key to running distances is to get outdoors, treadmill training has its place, but to run on the road and on uneven terrain is what will get you stronger...it'll be lighter soon, I am lucky as I can jog in the day between dropping the kids off to school and the gym and back home again...

GOOD LUCK everyone...also HIIT and fartlek is great for endurance building...you only need short little sessions to get you up to speed each week...

Anyone else got any training tips?

If you personally are fund raising i.e taking part in a charity event to raise money for your chosen charity by running, walking, cycling, mountain climbing etc then you are welcome to post a link in your signature to promote your personal challenge.

Please do not post 3rd party links to websites soliciting our members to click, register or sign up to emails, letters, websites either through the public forum, via PM or email. We urge our members to practise safe internet browsing by not divulging personal information over the internet. Please stay safe!

Threads of this nature will automatically be deleted.

For the above reason we have taken out any links within posts. In future please make sure any charity link is only in your signature and not in the post

Irene xx

Oh also hill running helps with stamina and endurance...run up some hills then walk down, run up again, then walk down, or even use some flights of stairs to do some stair work, that really puffs you out and gets those legs and bum in shape!

Hi Nexangelus,

Funnily enough, after talking yesterday, about running outside, I decided to just do it! I ran outside last night and enjoyed it so much more than the treadmill, so now I'm hooked. It was far more challenging and where I live is quite up and down, so I even ran up a slight hill for a bit. My legs are feeling it today :D

Back