Rant!!!

zi-ann

Ok, i am sooooooo annoyed .. my 14 year old daughter is ill with swollen throat glands and a off and on temp, BUT the school says she MUST go in today as she has a maths test she is not allowed to miss ..not an exam, just a test to see what group she will be in next term,is it any wonder why some kids/teenagers get ill from worry and stress, if they cant even stay home when ill .. my daugter is upset as she says she dont feel well enough for school but it scared to miss the test incase she gets told off, i contacted the school yesterday over it, and they told me that she MUST do the test, but surely she could resit it another time once she is well again, as im sure she wont be the only one who is ill .. but NO .. they said they only do the test on that day, as they must keep dates with other schools ... Man i am one pissed of mum :mad:

I would be too! She needs to be tucked up in bed bless her. I feel this way about sats. My son has his next week (year 6) and all I have heard is sats this sats that, even letters from the school encouraging parents to 'help there children revise'. They are children! All these tests and pressure is not good for them. We never had this much to worry about at school I am sure. There is time enough for these kids to sit exams when the big ones come along.

Hope she feels better soon x

I think that's quite irresponsible as a school - as a teacher, I want my students to be able to do their best. If a child is ill, she won't be at her full potential and won't get the results that she deserves.

Big hugs to your daughter - hope she feels better soon xx

Hi my daughter is also 14 and had to go to hospital and now has a long recovery but my daughter is insisting on going to school as she had tests but her school have been great saying they are only tests not exams and if teachers know their pupils well enough they can put into sets or she can sit tests when ok. Her school has been great. I appreciate for exams it's more difficult but most schools ask if child can be taken in for exam then collected when finished. Hope she is fully recovered now xx

That's insane, any teacher especially maths should know there students well enough to band them with out an exam.

Yes these exams are important but allowances are made in extreme cases. As a secondary should teacher myself I can completely understand your annoyance. If a student is ill they should not be in school

Back