Ready Steady Cook - Minimins Style

[h=2][/h][h=1]This is what I've made, I made enough for 1 person using my hexa & b I also used quorn bacon because I didn't fancy meat. I made it for breakfast & it is a lovely breakfast meal. Very yummy:D

Cheddar, Bacon and Asparagus Strata[/h][h=2]Ingredients[/h][h=3]Serves : 8[/h]
  • 450g bacon
  • 450g fresh asparagus, trimmed
  • 8 eggs
  • 475ml milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (500g) loaf sliced bread, crusts removed
  • 120g grated Cheddar cheese
  • 4 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced

[h=2]Directions[/h][h=3]Prep:30min › Cook:1hr15min › Extra time:8hr chilling › Ready in:9hr45min[/h]
  1. Cook the bacon in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a kitchen paper-lined plate. Chop the bacon and set aside.
  2. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring the water to the boil. Add the asparagus, cover and steam until bright green but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove asparagus and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt and pepper until smooth and well combined.
  4. Grease a 20x30cm baking dish. Layer the bread slices into the bottom of the dish, cutting and fitting extra slices as needed to fill spaces. Sprinkle 120g of Cheddar cheese over the bread, followed by the chopped onion. Arrange asparagus spears and red pepper in a layer over the onion. Sprinkle chopped bacon over the red pepper; top with another layer of bread slices, cutting and filling in spaces as before. Pour the egg-milk mixture evenly over the casserole, and refrigerate overnight.
  5. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes; sprinkle 120g grated Cheddar cheese over the top of the dish, return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean, 10 to 15 more minutes.

IMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0134.JPG

That recipe sounds weird. Savoury bread & Butter pudding for brweakfast! Might have to give it a go though.
I lurvvvvve asparagus - we have it all the time here. Green and white - which seems to be a Spanish delicacy..

Yesterday I did savoury bread & butter pudding & today it's savoury rice pudding, honestly I just picked recipes I thought I'd like! In mine I omitted the bread & I made enough for 1 person using cheese as my hexa.
IMG_0135.JPGIMG_0136.JPG
Cheesy Rice with Asparagus
Ingredients
Serves : 4

• 1 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
  • 300 g (10½ oz) long-grain or basmati rice
  • 600 ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
  • 150 g (5½ oz) frozen peas
  • 150 g (5½ oz) asparagus, cut into 5 cm (2 in) pieces
  • 3 eggs
  • 100 g (3½ oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
  • ¼ tsp crushed dried chillies
  • salt and pepper
Directions

Prep:25min › Cook:20min › Ready in:45min

1. First prepare 4 individual baking dishes that are 360 ml (12 fl oz) capacity. Lightly grease with the melted butter, then dust with the breadcrumbs to coat the bottom and sides. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5).
  2. Place the rice in a medium-sized saucepan, pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover tightly and simmer gently for 5 minutes, without stirring.
  3. Uncover the pan and stir in the peas and asparagus. Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, covered, for a further 5 minutes.
  4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir, then cover again and leave the rice and vegetables to stand undisturbed for 5–7 minutes.
  5. Combine the eggs and cheese in a mixing bowl. Add the chilli flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix with a fork until well blended. Add the rice mixture and stir gently until thoroughly combined.
  6. Divide the rice mixture evenly among the 4 prepared dishes. Set them on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until set and the tops are golden and crisp. Serve hot.

This is what I've made, I made enough for 1 person using my hexa & b I also used quorn bacon because I didn't fancy meat. I made it for breakfast & it is a lovely breakfast meal. Very yummy:D

Cheddar, Bacon and Asparagus Strata

Ingredients

Serves : 8

• 450g bacon
  • 450g fresh asparagus, trimmed
  • 8 eggs
  • 475ml milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (500g) loaf sliced bread, crusts removed
  • 4 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced

Directions

Prep:30min › Cook:1hr15min › Extra time:8hr chilling › Ready in:9hr45min

1. Cook the bacon in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a kitchen paper-lined plate. Chop the bacon and set aside.
  2. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring the water to the boil. Add the asparagus, cover and steam until bright green but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove asparagus and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt and pepper until smooth and well combined.
  4. Grease a 20x30cm baking dish. Layer the bread slices into the bottom of the dish, cutting and fitting extra slices as needed to fill spaces. Sprinkle 120g of Cheddar cheese over the bread, followed by the chopped onion. Arrange asparagus spears and red pepper in a layer over the onion. Sprinkle chopped bacon over the red pepper; top with another layer of bread slices, cutting and filling in spaces as before. Pour the egg-milk mixture evenly over the casserole, and refrigerate overnight.
  5. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes; sprinkle 120g grated Cheddar cheese over the top of the dish, return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean, 10 to 15 more minutes.

View attachment 97770View attachment 97769View attachment 97768

Yesterday I did savoury bread & butter pudding & today it's savoury rice pudding, honestly I just picked recipes I thought I'd like! In mine I omitted the bread & I made enough for 1 person using cheese as my hexa.
View attachment 97903View attachment 97902
Cheesy Rice with Asparagus
Ingredients
Serves : 4

• 1 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
  • 300 g (10½ oz) long-grain or basmati rice
  • 600 ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
  • 150 g (5½ oz) frozen peas
  • 150 g (5½ oz) asparagus, cut into 5 cm (2 in) pieces
  • 3 eggs
  • 100 g (3½ oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
  • ¼ tsp crushed dried chillies
  • salt and pepper
Directions

Prep:25min › Cook:20min › Ready in:45min

1. First prepare 4 individual baking dishes that are 360 ml (12 fl oz) capacity. Lightly grease with the melted butter, then dust with the breadcrumbs to coat the bottom and sides. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5).
  2. Place the rice in a medium-sized saucepan, pour over the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover tightly and simmer gently for 5 minutes, without stirring.
  3. Uncover the pan and stir in the peas and asparagus. Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, covered, for a further 5 minutes.
  4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir, then cover again and leave the rice and vegetables to stand undisturbed for 5–7 minutes.
  5. Combine the eggs and cheese in a mixing bowl. Add the chilli flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix with a fork until well blended. Add the rice mixture and stir gently until thoroughly combined.
  6. Divide the rice mixture evenly among the 4 prepared dishes. Set them on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until set and the tops are golden and crisp. Serve hot.

They look good hun.

Have got a bit 'behind' with this thread with going away and trying to keep my shopping costs down etc

Are we due a new bag soon :)

Have just checked cupboard to see what I've got in and about to go shopping so will have a think whilst I am out.
But I did the last one. Is it okay to do 2 in a row?

Oh that's good.

Yes I think we are due a new list, I've only got beans in, butter beans, baked beans, blackeyed beans, so that's no good, perhaps somebody else could come up with a bag.
Bean Soup???? Now that would make me fart! :8855:

New bag! New bag!

I've got an abundance of beans/pulses in mine too HH, dried and canned variety!

I've not got many meals planned either so a new bag will be very helpful for me to focus :) xx

Have just checked cupboard to see what I've got in and about to go shopping so will have a think whilst I am out.
But I did the last one. Is it okay to do 2 in a row?

Go for it:D

My meal tonight was stuffed peppers.
I stuffed with mushrooms, onion, minced lamb, celery, , tomatoes, tom puree, turmeric, cumin, garlic and chilli flakes and topped with cheese nom nom!

Wow they do look very nice xx

My meal tonight was stuffed peppers.
I stuffed with mushrooms, onion, minced lamb, celery, , tomatoes, tom puree, turmeric, cumin, garlic and chilli flakes and topped with cheese nom nom!

Awesome!!! I lurrrrrrrrrve stuffed peppers. Always tend to do mine with beef mince though.
Must have a go with lamb mince as we got some form Iceland on our last vist there.

OK! So this weeks bag is . . .

Chicken
Chick Peas
Carrots
Potatoes
Celery
Butter Beans
Onions
Pork Sausages

And any other free food/herbs/spices you fancy.

Awesome!!! I lurrrrrrrrrve stuffed peppers. Always tend to do mine with beef mince though.
Must have a go with lamb mince as we got some form Iceland on our last vist there.

I don't very often do them but when the peppers were delivered they looked really nice and just fancied it and lamb was the mince I happened to have.
Liking the new bag :)

Back