Ready Steady Cook - Minimins Style

Hey I've got those other than the mushrooms, so could be a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!

No ive not had much of a go either.

In my cupboard/freezer I have....
Risotto rice
Egg noodles
Frozen broad beans and mushrooms if anyone wanted to have a play with those, adding whatever sw friendly ingredients to make an inspiring meal id be grateful ;)

Feels like a risotto or paella coming on :)
I normally do a pea and mushroom risotto - could well be bean and mushroom risotto instead.:D

IMG_0125.jpgIMG_0126.jpg

Okie dokies, well what I was going to make didn't happen exactly, OH used the bacon I was going to have for my tea. Anyhow, now 'made up' recipe:D

Ingredients
Risotto, onion, mushrooms, garlic & cheese (hexa)

Method
Put risotto, onion, mushrooms, garlic & I added bovril for flavour in a pan with enough stock, cover & cook, when the rice is ready stir in cheese, vola, easy cheap meal!!

Risotto alla Milanese (a la Pommette)

Well I finally got round to making my risotto!

Ingredients (for 2)
Risotto Rice - 1/2 mug
1 small onion - chopped
1 pint chicken stock infused with saffron
1/2 glass dry white wine
Oil for frying
1 oz grated parmesan cheese
1 oz butter

The above is classic Milanese - my extra ingredients are . . .
4 mushrooms finely sliced
1/2 cup petit pois
1/2 cup broad beans

Risotto Ingredients.JPG

Method
1. In a paella pan or frying pan, fry the onions and mushrooms until the onions are clear and have a bit of colour.
2. Add the rice and saute, stirring continuously, until it has became opaque and acquired some colour (3 or 4 minutes).
3. Add the wine and boil briskly until almost boiled away.
4. Stir in the boiling stock one ladle of liquid at a time and boil until it is all absorbed before adding the next ladle of stock.
5. Do this for ¾ of the stock and then add the rest along with the peas and beans.
During this stage, do not leave the pan alone and stir regularly (gently).
6. Turn onto a low light and cook until all the stock is absorbed. My recipe says the rice is tender after 15-20 minutes (more like 30 mins for me). You may need extra stock - I often do - so keep some ready (HOT!)
7. Take off the heat and stir in the butter and parmesan and serve immediately.
DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT MISSING THE BUTTER & PARMESAN OUT! This is the indulgent bit but it's Milanese so just go for it!

Rissotto Finished.JPG

Serve
Traditionally Milanese can be served as a course on its own or with Osso Buco (yummy).
I serve it with either some plain grilled meat (we had slightly marinated pork chops tonight) or a huge tomato and onion salad with extra parmesan shavings on top.

Risotto Served.JPG

ENJOY! It's the best risotto I've ever eaten!

Last edited:
Looks lovely. ....but....wine? Cheese? Butter?? :eek:
1/2 glass (60ml) dry white wine = 2 syns . . . so 1 syn per person
1 oz butter = 10 syns . . . so 5 syns per person
1 oz Parmesan = HexA . . . so 1/2 Hex A per person

About the same as going out to a carvery and having gravy and roast potatoes done in oil. Plus say cranberry sauce with your turkey!

And actually, if you fully boil the wine and boil out all the alcohol (which you are supposed to do) my Chemistry PhD hubs says the calories are reduced by half!

Occasionally I find being a bit indulgent helps to motivate me and keeps me on track!
Cutting out all the pleasures is a sure way to failure imho - and I've managed to lose weight so I must be doing something right!
And I've been at target now for 20 months! Apart from the odd up and down.

Sorry, that sounds a tad defensive - but I've had an indulgent meal about once every 2 weeks ever since I started on SW and it really has helped me. I enjoy it, count the syns and get back to low fat stuff next day.
I rarely eat cheese normally - I don't use butter or spread - I don't drink milk so I actually struggle to get my HexBs

Last edited:
1/2 glass (60ml) dry white wine = 2 syns . . . so 1 syn per person
1 oz butter = 10 syns . . . so 5 syns per person
1 oz Parmesan = HexA . . . so 1/2 Hex A per person

About the same as going out to a carvery and having gravy and roast potatoes done in oil. Plus say cranberry sauce with your turkey!

And actually, if you fully boil the wine and boil out all the alcohol (which you are supposed to do) my Chemistry PhD hubs says the calories are reduced by half!

Occasionally I find being a bit indulgent helps to motivate me and keeps me on track!
Cutting out all the pleasures is a sure way to failure imho - and I've managed to lose weight so I must be doing something right!
And I've been at target now for 20 months! Apart from the odd up and down.

Sorry, that sounds a tad defensive - but I've had an indulgent meal about once every 2 weeks ever since I started on SW and it really has helped me. I enjoy it, count the syns and get back to low fat stuff next day.
I rarely eat cheese normally - I don't use butter or spread - I don't drink milk so I actually struggle to get my HexBs

Sorry if my post seemed negative it was only a tongue in cheek comment about those couple of ingredients I wasn't judging you on indulgence!
I also think having pleasures along the way keeps us on track and I frequently have them! I wouldn't tend to have butter because having actual butter in the house would make me likely to indulge too often and end up getting bread to have with it etc but we are all different.

Apologies again if I caused offence but it was not intended and as I said it does look lovely, as does the pork with the seasoning on x

Sorry if my post seemed negative it was only a tongue in cheek comment about those couple of ingredients I wasn't judging you on indulgence!
I also think having pleasures along the way keeps us on track and I frequently have them! I wouldn't tend to have butter because having actual butter in the house would make me likely to indulge too often and end up getting bread to have with it etc but we are all different.

Apologies again if I caused offence but it was not intended and as I said it does look lovely, as does the pork with the seasoning on x

Sorry Emsie - I was feeling a tad defensive last night as someone had a go at me elsewhere about using non-fat free stuff in cooking.
My Hubs is great and has gone alone this ride with me since day 1 but refuses to have anything but butter as he hates the spreads.
And he is a skinny minny so who am I to deny him his pleasures?
Like you I love my fresh bread and butter but 90% of the time I manage to ignore it.
But I'm lucky in many ways as I don't like sweets and chocolates - my guilty pleasure is crisps and peanuts and I daren't have THEM in the house.

The pork chop marinade is easy peasy. It's also great on chicken and prawns.
It's just 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp of EV Olive oil, minced fresh garlic and black pepper - shaked up in a jar.
Plus any spice you fancy - chilli is nice on prawns.
You just rub in and leave to marinade in a dish for about 30 minutes, turning once or twice, and then griddle or BBQ with extra pepper.
You leave most of the marinade behind in the dish so I ignore the oil content as it would just be the same as dry frying.
Even if you don't ignore the oil, it's just 1 extra syn, but there is usually quite a lot left behind in the dish.

Sorry again for getting defensive.

PS you can actually leave the butter and cheese out and it is still a really nice risotto
So only 1 syn for the wine! and that really does make a huge difference and I would NEVER leave my wine out, would I? :8855:

Last edited:
My post was a bit careless and I think an example of how things can come across in text I think people know where I am coming from when most of the time they probably don't! After a weekend including fish and chips and alcohol and the likes I certainly wasn't judging anyone for having a measured amount of wine, cheese and butter in their meal! but obviously not "knowing" me you wouldn't realise that.

Have been nosey and seen your rant elsewhere re my post and I really hope you appreciate that I wasn't criticising you and that you don't abandon this thread as I love the different ideas and I did request ideas for my risotto rice.

Also loving the marinade suggestion so please keep them coming and I will just omit the bits I don't want to add and try and be more careful with my responses!

My post was a bit careless and I think an example of how things can come across in text I think people know where I am coming from when most of the time they probably don't! After a weekend including fish and chips and alcohol and the likes I certainly wasn't judging anyone for having a measured amount of wine, cheese and butter in their meal! but obviously not "knowing" me you wouldn't realise that.

Have been nosey and seen your rant elsewhere re my post and I really hope you appreciate that I wasn't criticising you and that you don't abandon this thread as I love the different ideas and I did request ideas for my risotto rice.

Also loving the marinade suggestion so please keep them coming and I will just omit the bits I don't want to add and try and be more careful with my responses!

As I said Emsie, I was just feeling a tad sensitive last night after I'd had a rather nasty PM exchange with someone who has become a good friend on here about me no longer sticking properly to plan. Well I wouldn't be would I? I'm not actually trying to lose weight any more (well I am as I'm 2.3 kg over at the moment) - I'm trying to maintain.

You're right about text as a medium though. It is soulless as you can't see the smile on someone's face when they make a comment or the laugh in their voice as they do it. And yes, I don't "know" you that well as, strangely, we've only crossed paths recently even though we've both been at this SW lark for some time.

Line drawn as far as I'm concerned - lets get back to great food talk and recipes.:D

It looks nice & creamy.

I was thinking about this thread the other day & thinking I really should make something else, but once I've caught up on here sat down for a chill it's bedtime & the whole process starts again. OH is on lates this week so maybe I'll get chance to sort something out.

I honestly enjoy these challenges, it really gets me looking at alternative meals.

Back