Ready Steady Cook - Minimins Style

Wow Minks as always your food looks delicious x

Its a very easy dish and tasty. The boy even liked it and he is funny about breasts being cooked whole because they can dry out. Stayed moist tho!

If I wasn't doing a red day I was going to do garlic and chilli stuffed chicken with a potato/sweet potato gratin that had red onion slices in and side salad topped with lemon juice. But I was doing red and had no sweet potatoes anyway :D but that would have been a dish to incorporate most of the ingredients! Xx

Oooh very impressive Minky!

Definitely liking this bag, lots of ideas flowing :) don't have much of that in though, so might call for some shopping! X

[h=2]Chicken Casserole with Potato Cobbler[/h][h=2]Ingredients[/h]For the potato cobbler topping
· 350g/12oz floury potatoes, such as King Edwards or Maris Piper
· 1 tsp fine sea salt
For the chicken casserole
· 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
· flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
· 4 rashers rindless smoked streaky bacon, cut into 2cm/¾oz wide strips
· 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
· 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
· 150g/5½oz small button mushrooms, wiped and halved or quartered if large
· 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
· 600ml/20fl oz chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
· 1 bay leaf
· 2 tsp dried thyme
· 375g/13oz medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1.5cm slices
· 2 slender leeks, trimmed and cut into 2cm/¾in slices
· flaked sea salt
· freshly ground black pepper
[h=2]Preparation method[/h]1. To prepare the mash for the cobbler topping, peel the potatoes and cut into 2cm/¾in chunks. Put in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
2. Drain in a colander and mash with a potato masher or put through a potato ricer until smooth. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes.
3. For the chicken casserole, trim the chicken thighs of any fatty bits and cut each one into four pieces. Season well with salt and pepper. Fry the chicken, in two batches, until lightly browned all over. Transfer to a large flame-proof casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
4. Put the bacon, onion and celery in the same frying pan used to brown the chicken and fry for 4-5 minutes over a medium-high heat until lightly browned, stirring often. Add the mushrooms and cook for one minute more, stirring.
5. Tip the vegetables into the casserole with the chicken pieces. Stir in the tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, thyme and carrots. Bring to a simmer on the hob, cover loosely with a lid and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. While the chicken is cooking, finish making the cobbler topping.
7. Turn the potato out onto a well-floured surface and roll into a thick sausage, about 24cm/9½in long. Cut into 12 rounds, each around 2cm/¾in thick.
8. Take the chicken out of the oven and season to taste with salt and pepper. You won’t be able to season it again once the topping has been added. Add the leeks and stir well.
Top the chicken mixture with the potato dumplings, overlapping them slightly, so they almost cover the filling. Brush with a little extra mix to glaze. Season with a little ground black pepper

IMG_0100.JPGIMG_0101.JPGIMG_0102.JPGIMG_0103.JPG

I put my casserole in the slow cooker just because we were going out tonight & it would speed things up, I also used gravy to thicken the sauce but you can use whatever you feel happier with. Honestly this was delicious I've really enjoyed it. I put the potatoes through the ricer so there were no lumps & it's easier to mix, I put the potato mix inbetween cling film then rolled out & cut into shapes.

I did think about trying a pie with potato as the pastry but decided against that. x

I know I say the same thing every time, but if it hadn't been for the food suggested I'd never have given this a try, but you must try it sometime it is so yummy & very comforting, and easy to make seeing as I put it in the slow cooker & just added potato cobbler & then in the oven.

This is definitely a meal I would never have tried before.

Looks amazing! Really yummy and hearty and 'proper' food if that makes sense? would be great to make into individual little pies too.

Fab, fab, fab! This is going to be printed off and added to my little (growing!) Folder of recipes xx

Made this with new list.

Fry lighted chopped red onion, with crushed garlic, bag of spinach and Swartz garlic and Herb Mash (herb in purple jar, good in dips!)

(Used whole ball of light mozzarella, grated. 65g = A choice on green 2 1/2 syns for 25g)

Stuff the cannelloni tubes with spinach and a little grated mozzarella. I used 6 tubes.

1 carton of Sainsbo's passata with garlic and onions, add 1 oxo cube and woster sauce, simmer until thickened.

Meanwhile, add 2 beaten eggs to a tub of quark and mix until smooth.

Add 3/4 of remaining mozzarella to quark.

Pour passata over cannelloni, and top with quark mix.

Sprinkle rest of mozzarella over the top and bake for 30-35 mins at 200.

Hope this isn't too early to put up, I won't get a chance over weekend! xx

Back