Ready Steady Cook - Minimins Style

Two mung bean based dishes finished! Will put up pics and recipes later :D might make a dessert too... :)

Ok, the dishes I made are Mung Bean Vegetable Curry and Mung Bean Soup

I prepped all the ingredients together so here they are:

Mung Bean Dishes Ingredients.jpgMung Bean Curry Spices and Flavourings.jpgSoaked Mung Beans.jpg

On the chopping board, the top three ingredients were for the soup (Onion, celery and potato) and the bottom three were for the curry (Onion, green pepper and spinach).

Ingredients for the curry:

1 Cup mung beans (soaked at least overnight, mine were soaked for around 24 hours though)
2 tsp vegetable oil (4 syns)
Half an onion, sliced
Half a green pepper, sliced
A handful of fresh spinach
A tsp Panch Phoran (It's like a mix of mustard, cumin, fennel and nigella seeds)
2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
Half a vegetable stockpot (I actually boiled all the mung beans for both recipes in one pot with the stockpot then added half of the stock and beans to the curry).
2 cups water
About 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
A glass of water

Method for curry:

Put the mung beans in a saucepan with the half stockpot and about 2 cups water per cup of mung beans, bring to the boil then cover and simmer whilst you do the next steps.
In a large, deep frying pan add the oil and let it heat up on a medium heat.
Add all of the spices and let them cook off until the mustard seeds are popping and all of the seeds are becoming fragrant.
Add the onions and fry off until translucent.
Add the green peppers and garlic, fry for a few minutes and then pour in the beans and stock.
Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the beans and peppers to keep cooking.
Uncover and if it's looking a bit dry, add some water to it.
Check the beans are properly cooked by squishing down on them with a fork, they should go a bit 'mushy'.
When the beans are cooked, add the tomatoes and spinach, bring back to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Serve with basmatti rice and any other additions :)

Finished Mung Bean Curry.jpgMung Bean Curry with Basmatti Rice.jpg

This was my first time eating mung beans and they are absolutely delicious! Loved it :D

I didn't actually get a picture of the soup as it wasn't much to look at, but as a basic, filling vegetable soup it was alright! :D

Ingredients for mung bean soup:

Half an onion, diced
1 stick celery, diced
A small potato, or half a potato, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced.
1 and 1/2 cup mung beans (again, soaked at least overnight in cold water)
Half a vegetable stock pot and 3 cups water
Salt, pepper and any other seasonings you like!
Frylight

Method for mung bean soup:

Put the mung beans, stockpot and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, cover and simmer.
In a small frying pan, spray liberally with frylight and fry off the onions.
When the onions are going translucent, add the celery and potatoes and fry for another 5 mins.
Add the onions, celery, potato, garlic and seasonings to the mung beans and stock.
Bring back to the boil then cover and simmer for about 10-15 mins until you're happy everything's cooked.

Phew! Sorry for the huge post. If you're gonna try one of these recipes, definitely go for the curry! The soup was alright but nothing special :)

Haha! I meant to comment about that before I posted it haha - I've had a virus and haven't felt like eating much :p normally I'd have piled my plate!

Yay! Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with! They're so filling too which is always a good thing! I also have some sprouting to make bean sprouts... More on that in a day or two hopefully!

Here they are mungbean burgers, I just got out the ingredients again, the 2nd picture show the mixture, then going in oven & cooked. DD has had heres & she said they were nice, mine are about to be eaten so we`ll see!!!!!! The only thing is the mixture was really sloppy, so I`ve made burgers with half the mixture & may make some form of curry with the rest of the mixture.

image-2876412362.jpg

image-4149429956.jpg

image-2585152185.jpg

image-3247991264.jpg

The recipe, i didn't use the flour.

quinoa-mung bean-lentil burgers
Serves 4-6
· 1 cup cooked small beluga or green lentils
· 1 cup cooked quinoa
· 1 cup cooked mung beans
· 3 large organic eggs
· sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
· curry powder
· ½ onion, finely cubed
· ½ cup chick pea flour or organic whole wheat flour
· Frylight

1. Cook the mung beans and lentils together in about 3 cups salted water until tender, drain, set aside (this also freezes well for later use). cook quinoa in about 1 and 1/4 to 1/2 cups of water for about 15 minutes (should have none or very little liquid), drain and set aside.
  2. Finely cube the 1/2 onion. fry the onion in frylight
  3. Combine all of the above (in a bowl), including the sea salt & pepper, three large organic eggs, chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour, and mix well, creating a "paste".
  4. Fry the patties by spooning spoonfuls of the "paste" on to a skillet, and slightly flattening the top with the back of your spoon (with heated coconut oil in the pan) and frying about 2-3 minutes on each side (medium heat). you can also use your hands to make little balls that you flatten between your palms.

Ah I keep meaning to reply then getting distracted! Both meals look really yummy hun, well done! :D

More mung bean meals, today I'm having mung bean & tofu soup for breakfast, I was looking for a tofu recipe & found this which I thought was brill, seeing as mung beans are my new favourite food!!!!!!!!!!! And for lunch I'm having those Japanese pancakes, I've made them without flour today so syn free, they look ok so far. I'll post pics later:D

Back