Really disheartened

Princess_Stevie

Gold Member
So, last night was my WI and I was sooo looking forward to it!
I'd been good all week, done plenty of exercise as always, STOPPED IN all weekend (a rarity for a 19yr old!!), stuck to my syns allowance, everything was looking great.

Got to class and C commented on how good I was looking :D.
Paid my money and stood on the scales..

..1lb on!? I'm devastated. :confused:
Couldn't even manage to stay to class as I left in floods of tears! :cry:

In the past I'd been an on-off member of WeightWatchers, and after joining Slimming World 6 weeks ago I've been really motivated and determained to stick to it. But this unexpected and unexplained gain has made me feel really disheartened, and I think what is the point?

Really want to stick at it but can't help feeling angry and upset..

There could be all sorts of reasons you have put on - I too put on weight last night (1.5lbs) and its my first gain but I too have done lots of exercise this week - it could just be bloating so stick with it and try another week of 100%
I know its hard I felt bad too leaving last night especially when you have tried hard all week

There are times when your body does whatever it wants to regardless of how good you are and these are the times you have to dig your heels in, grit your teeth and carry on! You have done so well over the last 6 weeks and with SW you have the chance to fulfil your potential so it'd be silly to give up now!
That 1lb will be gone next week you wait and see my girl lol!

Thank you both for your encouraging and supportive replies.

Going to stick to it 110% this week as I've never wanted to lose weight as much as I do now.

Also going to try and eat a lot more speed and superspeed foods this week, to see if that will give me a bit of a boost.

Thanks again, and good luck to you both xx

hiyer, stick with it and you will see a loss next week, a 'c' told us about a lady who joined her group, and, stuck to the plan for 2 weeks, didn't lose anything, she was really down, she stuck to it for the 3rd week doing nothing different from the other 2, and, lost 8lbs:D

Thanks Maclynn! Hoping that the weight loss will catch up next week, hoping for a big-ish loss.

Naughty, I know, but I hopped on my own scales after WI last night. I know all scales are different, etc, but according to my own I had lost 4lb. Theres a huge difference between +1lb and -4lb.

Just going to write last week off, try and forget about it and carry on as I have been xx​

Hun you may think 'whats the point?' - the point is you're making healthy changes to the way you eat and +1 or -1 you're giving your body what it needs to thrive!
There could be numerous reasons for the gain. Slight constipation (even if you haven't noticed it) could mean you're carrying more food around in your system than normal. You could be carrying a bit of water retention. Your body could just be adjusting to your new diet.
*FACT - you're eating a sensible, healthy diet thats good for you.
*FACT - if you're following the plan correctly then you can't be putting on fat, therefore there must be another reason for the 1lb gain.
PLEASE don't get hung up on those little numbers and concentrate on how much better you look and feel - the numbers will catch up eventually. xxxx

As others have said your body can be strange sometimes. I find if I have few things with a bit more salt, I retain water so show heavier on scales but it is not a true gain. To gain a pound of fat you need to eat 3500 calories over what your body requires to funtion. You have been good and stuck to diet so there is no way that this has happened so not a true weight gain. It should show in next week results. In saying that although I know this I would still be fed up if got a gain so I know how you feel.

Last time I lost weight I weighed in daily and recorded it on 'fridgegraph'. It was a real eye-opener. There were several weeks where the SAME week could be read very differently e.g. if I looked at Wed-Wed compared to Tue-Tue one would show a gain and the other a loss.

Really the only true measure is monthly - but who can wait that long?!

Please don't give up - this means nothing. All your efforts this week will show - but maybe next week.

Firstly, well done and congrats on a fab first 6 weeks, your loss is absolutely perfect up to now!

Secondly, I agree with zeke, sometimes your body doesn't keep up with your good work, and the only true measure is the monthly loss... you'd have to be completely off plan for weeks I think for the scales not to shift for 4 weeks on this plan!

For example, I had a gain 2 weeks ago (+1lb) and was gutted as I had been so good that week and the 2 weeks before (-3.5 and -1) but I I really went for it again the following week and lost 1.5lbs... so a total of 5lbs down in a month = perfect loss! I have come to realise that through various things (water retention, * week, constipation) I may have a small gain or STS once a month, but as long as I average 1lb a week I am happy... that would be 3 and a half stone in a year...

Try not to dwell on this disappointment and keep going, it will catch you up in the end xxxxxxx

Thank you all for your comments/support.
Feeling a lot better about things now and even more motivated than I was last week!
I CAN do this!! xx

Course you can! It's really easy to become disheartened when you build up the expectation of a loss all week and then have a very small loss or even a gain. I've thought "what's the bloody point" quite a few times now but the point is the long term changes you're making to your diet and your health, not the weekly ones. Ok, the little weeklys add up but in a years time when you're at target or very near it, you won't even remember this teeny gain. Look at is as a blip and think on to next week.

If you give up now in a few weeks you'll have gained everything you've lost and be back to square one and then you'll have to start all over again...stick with it, bet you have a great week next week.

Thank you all again for your kind support.

Without it I dont think I'd be motivated so quickly into sticking at it - you guys are great!!

:grouphugg:

Thanks again, and the best of luck to all of you!

:thankyou:
xxxxx

How you doing now Princess? xx

Back