Really strugglihg just now

Starlight

Gold Member
I cant believe Im actually typing this but boy am I struggling big time. My doctor put me on anti depressants last week and I have absolutely no appetite whatsoever. I cant face any packs Ive tried meals, shakes, soup and just cant stomach anything.

I know I need them, I know I have to have them and even thinking of them as fuel/medicine isnt helping.

Ive been night shift this week which doesnt help and Im spending far far too much time in my bed, because quite honestly I dont want to get out of it.

Not even sure why Im posting. I know what advice Ill get - to have the packs but I just cant face them and have NO interest in them :cry:

Starlight said:
I cant believe Im actually typing this but boy am I struggling big time. My doctor put me on anti depressants last week and I have absolutely no appetite whatsoever. I cant face any packs Ive tried meals, shakes, soup and just cant stomach anything.

I know I need them, I know I have to have them and even thinking of them as fuel/medicine isnt helping.

Ive been night shift this week which doesnt help and Im spending far far too much time in my bed, because quite honestly I dont want to get out of it.

Not even sure why Im posting. I know what advice Ill get - to have the packs but I just cant face them and have NO interest in them :cry:

Hugs xx

Sent from Jo's iPhone using MiniMins

This sounds like more than being out of phase with the diet lovely girl. Are you ok in yourself ?

If you are not fancying packs, is the food calling ? Is a little break called for to get yourself sorted.

Hope you feel better soon. xx

Starlight maybe you need to take a little break from S&S for a while, you've just started a new medication and your body needs time to get used to it. You say you don't fancy the packs, do you fancy anything at all? You need to eat. Dieting is important to all of us - that's why we're all here but your health must come first.

To be fair, I basically sleep non stop when I'm in between nights but if that's not normal for you then spending a lot of time in bed is a sign of depression. Has your GP suggested anything else apart from pills? Has he referred you to anyone - a psychologist or counselor? Do you think you would benefit from speaking to somebody like that?

Try your best to eat something. Maybe a bit of toast, some soup, a slice of cake! Anything you fancy just so you're not eating nothing at all. I know you probably don't feel like going out at the moment but try and go for a walk even if just for half an hour just to get a bit of fresh air and 'clear your head' so to speak.

Please don't struggle alone with this, depression is something which affects so many people so don't feel ashamed to ask for help if you need it.

Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way X

My hubby suffers from depression and I understand (as much as anyone can who doesn't suffer from it themselves) how hard it can be. You need to look after yourself and your needs. I don't think the diet is your issue here - it seems to be about your depression and I suspect that you are having this reaction to all food at the moment given your comments on your appetite.

The main thing that has helped my husband is going to personal therapy. We pay for it ourselves and although it isn't cheap it has made the world of difference to the quality of his life. I am currently arranging to go to therapy for myself to help me to maintain my weight loss and sort out my relationship with food. You should have heard me a few years ago saying that I didn't need therapy - and here I am advocating it! Look after yourself hun.

Night shifts cant be helping your mood/general well-being, is there anyway to get on days, so you maybe dont have to take sick again?

My husband has been doing night for the last 20 years, but his new job is days, and he is like a completely different person, even though he is doing long hours still xx

Sorry to hear you're struggling starlight. I second weasey's suggestion about counselling- I dreaded going but when I went I poured my heart out, cried my eyes out, left feeling the burden had been lifted slightly and didn't feel bad for unleashing it all on family or friends. That was my problem- always putting on a smiley face when inside I felt like a constant rainy day.

Starlight I know how you feel. I've suffered from depression when I was in my late teens and again with post natal depression after my first daughter was born. Your diet is the very very last of your concerns now, you need to be in te right head space to do this vlcd malarkey and you're certainly not if youre battling depression. Why don't you give it a while to let the anti depressants kick in and eat sensibly (80/20) so you can have a bit of what you fancy without pigging out so much it ends up making you more depressed? I know not everybody likes the tablet route but for me personally they changed my life around, literally.

I learnt to be myself again, I stopped crying at every conceivable thing. I couldn't watch the news without tearing up, I'd piled on tonnes of weight after having my beautiful daughter Freya and that made it worse, I felt detached from my family, friends and most importantly my new, perfect baby, it was like a vicious cycle and the anti depressants just stopped it, over time.

The very last thing you need to be stressing about is being on a vlcd. What advice would you give me if I'd posted your post?

Take very good care of yourself Starlight and I hope you're feeling yourself very soon x x

1stone 10lb lighter in 6 weeks :)

Starlight said:

Hugs!
You have been strong for soo long, doing so well with everything and it's time to take it easy on yourself.
Doc has recognised that and you must too..
As others have already said go out for walks and try eat things you fancy, get yourself moving again!
Go meet friends who understand for coffee and chats.
Go spoil yourself with a spa somewhere if thats what you fancy, with a friend for chats and nibbles?
Think what you would love to do as a pick me up and take it from there..
Pamper bath day in the house with your favourite music and books, if you want some mee time on the cheap?
It's a bit more motivational than a duvet day?

Meds will mess with your system and take time to do their magic so be at peace with yourself and allow yourself the time to get used to them..

You have all my sympathy and empathy and I do hope you feel better quick..
XX

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

How you doing today Starlight?
Hugs
Xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Good to see any reply at all. Hang on in there honey x

Thanks so much for the comments. Im just not sure what to do at the moment. I feel constantly sick and keep gagging, Im tired all the time, and spending too much time in bed. My wee mum is at the shops at the moment buying stuff to try and get me to eat. Nothing appeals to me at all. Dont really know what to do whether to stick to packs and have shakes - I dont want to sicken myself of the meals. Or do I give up on S&S for a few weeks and try and eat.

Everythings just getting on top of me at the moment

Good to hear from you Starlight but sorry to hear you're still feeling rubbish :( I honestly think you should try and eat some normal food - it's up to you of course but slim & save will still be here once you're feeling a bit better - it's stressful to diet and I don't think having that extra stress on top of you is good at the moment. Bless you mum going out to get things for you, just try something - even if it's a chocolate biscuit it's better than eating nothing!

Have you seen your GP again since the visit where they prescribed the antidepressants? If not perhaps it might be worth popping back and explaining that you're still not feeling good and is there anything else they can do.

I really hope you're feeling even just a little better soon :)

X

If you have head issues ... fix head first, then fix diet after. If there are diet issues, work on staying on the diet.

Sounds as if there are head and heart issues to look at first rather than diet issues. Just my opinion. Awful situation to be in as you are pulled in both ways. xx

Hiya starlight. I would say just eat whatever you can, if you get all weak from not eating you'll not feel any better in yourself. One thing I would say for the packs, dieting aside, is at least they are packed full of vitamins and minerals.
I know when I feel rubbish, all I want is a jar of nutella and a jar of peanut butter and 2 spoons... But seriously hun like the others have said, the priority is to get up and about again and you just need to eat whatever you can stomach. Toast with butter?

Sorry to hear this.

IMO i'd say leave the diet for now, you'll only end up feeling worse for deviating from the plan. Your health is more important hun, the diet will be there once you feel better. Depression is bad enough without adding more pressure to the mix.

I have personal experience with depression, anti -d's and VLCDs combined. WAsnt pretty for me. Eat whatever you feel you want/need. Give in to yourself for a while, spoil yourself even. You're worth it :)

​How you doing lovely ? Hope you are keeping your head above water xx

Hi lovely, how are you doing? Thinking of you x

Back