Really upset :(

xlaurax

Hi everyone- just wondering if anyone else has something similar happen to them??
Basically over the last almost 9 months ive lost just over 5 stone- im sticking to the points religiously and gradually upped my exercise! Last week I finally took the plunge and started jogging which is something ive always felt like doing but never had the confidence.- Usually i do crosstrainer/bike or rowing machine but i pretty much swapped all my time to jogging.

I thought GREAT this will really boost my weight loss (averaging 2 pounds a week) but first week i stay the same and second week I GAIN TWO POUNDS?!?!?!!?!?

I reeallllyyy dont understand as i i have been working out harder than ever and I have been dead on with my points!

I am just so disapointed as i have worked so hard with the jogging- whats going on?!!? :cry:

Dont be upset! Muscle weighs more than fat - you will actually burn more calories the more muscle you develop through exercise so it will come off quicker in the long term.

So its just muscle dont panic! When I was an avid user of the gym years ago this happened to me. You will become leaner/smaller but sometimes the weight may stay the same some weeks.

Dont panic!!!
xxxxxxxx
p.s think its brilliant your jogging - wish I could do that!!

Dont be upset! Muscle weighs more than fat - you will actually burn more calories the more muscle you develop through exercise so it will come off quicker in the long term.

So its just muscle dont panic! When I was an avid user of the gym years ago this happened to me. You will become leaner/smaller but sometimes the weight may stay the same some weeks.

Dont panic!!!
xxxxxxxx
p.s think its brilliant your jogging - wish I could do that!!

Thank you! I really really am dumb founded onto how this has happened cos i must be burning more calories than before- that maths doesn't add up!

Does anyone know how long it will take to return to loss again if it is infact muscle gain???

Really appreciate anybodies ideas/thoughts on this. Thank you :)

i did exactly the same with sw and was gutted excersized loads and had a gain same thing happened to lady i used to see at meetings it makes you wanna give up. keep at it the gain will come off and you will se huge looses in your inches. ive loat a total of 41.5 inches since jan doing bootcamp aswell as dieting x

agree - just take a look at your overall body shape. it is SO disheartening to not lose or to gain when you've done everything by the book and then to think F- it, i'll just eat whatever. don't! exercise is soooo good for you!

I exercise weekly and my losses havent been too bad but they probably could be better .... I think you need to measure your body and go off that aswell as doin your diet ...... dont let exercise put you off as its soooo good for you, for your heart and your strengthening everything .. you will thank yourself in due time for pushing yourself to exercise ... well done on getting going :flirt2: and just remember muscle weighs more than fat so why dont you go and weigh yourself on scales that measures body fat too, you will see a difference there too .... xxxx

Just to say muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. 2lbs of fat is the same as 2lbs of muscle. However fat occupies more space than muscle as it's denser.

So the above posters are right and you need to measure yourself too.

Well done on your weight loss so far :)

It also takes up to 12 weeks to gain muscle density, so I doubt it's muscle that is causing the dip in your weight loss.

I think what it is is either lactic acid and/or water retention. It builds up after exercise to protect your joints.

Hi - well first of all, it could just be coincidence that you put on this week and it's totally unrelated to your jogging.

A book I was reading recently said that there is a fat burning zone when you are exercising. Go above or below it and you will not lose so much fat. Maybe, although you felt you were doing more when you were jogging, in fact you were working so hard you went outside that zone and crossed into anaerobic exercise (when you are not getting enough oxygen) which is not such a good fat burner. You can tell if you are if you are so out of breath that you cannot speak. You should be breathing heavier but still able to chat to someone. I'm no expert on all this - it's just a thought. And of course, I don't know how fit you are - maybe it's the opposite and the jogging is easier?

Hi - well first of all, it could just be coincidence that you put on this week and it's totally unrelated to your jogging.

A book I was reading recently said that there is a fat burning zone when you are exercising. Go above or below it and you will not lose so much fat. Maybe, although you felt you were doing more when you were jogging, in fact you were working so hard you went outside that zone and crossed into anaerobic exercise (when you are not getting enough oxygen) which is not such a good fat burner. You can tell if you are if you are so out of breath that you cannot speak. You should be breathing heavier but still able to chat to someone. I'm no expert on all this - it's just a thought. And of course, I don't know how fit you are - maybe it's the opposite and the jogging is easier?

yep its 220 - age - anywhere between 70%-85% of that is ideal for weight loss. Anywhere above 85% is good for cardovascular health (heart and lungs)

Running is most certainly cardiovascular exercise. I never go below 85 while running...x

Thank you! I reckon its a mixture of this and a couple weeks of plateau which i have worked through before and i can beat it again! I think i am going to buy a heart beat monitor so I can use this whilst I work out to make sure im in the right limits. All I know is i dont know what caused it but im not going to let it defeat me i am just going to stick at it like I always have and i will achieve my goal. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! haha!

good girl!!!

Do keep involving some of the 85%+ range though, it will put you in good steed and help your fitness and lung function lots :) x

I do lots of interval training which helps as the HR bounces up and down constantly... its "supposedly" the best for fat burning

eg - jump on bike, do a steady pace of 60/70 rpms for a couple of minutes then up to as fast as you physically can for 30 seconds, then rinse and repeat. (i can get up to 130 if I really try)

that happened to me hun..But least its muscle!!

Back