recipe help.....

has2tri

OK I tried to make this tonight but it doesn;t sound as though it is written correctly. What do you lot think? It is from the family feast for a fiver book.
Anyone know how it should be written???

100g/3.5oz low fat yogurt
1 tsb each of tumeric, ground cumin and paprika
juice of 1 lemon
0.5 tsp chilli powder
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
425g/15oz chicken breasts fillets
low cal cooking spray
1 medium onion,peeled and finely chopped
227g/8oz frozen sliced mixed peppers
198g/7oz frozen peas
312g/11oz greens, trimmed and sliced
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
283g/10oz dried basmati rice
1/4 iceberg lettuce, shredded
3 large tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cucumber, sliced
14g/1/2oz coriander, chopped

1. in a lidded casserole dish, mix the yogurt with half the tumeric, the cumin, paprika, chilli powder, lemon juice, and garlic. Cut chicken into large chunks add to the casserole dish and stir to coat well. Set aside for 15 mins while the oven heats up
2. Preheat the oven to 220oc/gas 7
3. meanwhile heat a large saucepan and spray with low cal cooking spray. add the onion, cover and cook gently for 10 mins
4. Add the peppers, peas and greens to the chicken and yogurt, stir, cover witht the lid and cook in the oven for 30 mins
5. Add the remaining turmeric and the ground cinnamon to the onions and cook for a further 2 mins over a low heat. Rinse and drain the rice, add to the dish with 426ml/3/4 pint of boiling water and bring everything to the boil. Cover and cook on a fairly high heat for 5 mins. Turn off the heat and leave covered and undisturbed for 10 mins
6. Mix the lettuce, sliced tomato and cucumber and set aside. Remove the chicken Bhuna from the over and scatter with coriander before serving with the rice and salad

What exactly do think is wrong with it?

If you read #5 it doesn;t seem right. Where does the dish with boiling water suddenly come from, and what has happened to the onions you have in the frying pan?

5. Add the remaining turmeric and the ground cinnamon to the onions and cook for a further 2 mins over a low heat. Rinse and drain the rice, add to the dish with 426ml/3/4 pint of boiling water and bring everything to the boil. Cover and cook on a fairly high heat for 5 mins. Turn off the heat and leave covered and undisturbed for 10 mins

If you read #5 it doesn;t seem right. Where does the dish with boiling water suddenly come from, and what has happened to the onions you have in the frying pan?

It looks ok to me. Think you may be misreading it. It means that you add the 426mls of boiling water and the onion and spice mixture from the frying pan to the chicken etc in the lidded casserole dish that has been in the oven for 30 mins.

I tried to make this tonight and I was lost where the water came into it so never added water to the casserole dish. If I had it would have been really watery. I am really confused.....can you tell I am no whizz in the kitchen???
The way I read it is you have some water on the hob as it says bring everything to the boil, so should I be taking the stuff out of the casserold dish and adding it to a pan of boiling water and cook on hob or am I more confused than I think I am?

the way i see it is the water is for cooking the rice not for mixing with the stuff in the oven

To be fair i don,t think the recipe is ordered in the most user friendly way. How did you cook the rice and what did the end product taste like.
Another way of approaching the recipe might be to reorder the process and take the points in the following order:
HTH.

I would write it this way.

1. Rinse the rice and set aside to drain
  2. Preheat Oven to 200 deg
  3. Cut Chicken into large chunks, Mix the chicken with yogurt, half the tumeric, the cumin, paprika, chilli powder, lemon juice, and garlic in a lidded casserole dish,
    leave to marinate for 15 mins while the oven heats up
  4. In a saucepan cook onion gently in fry light for 10 mins,Add the remaining turmeric and the ground cinnamon to the onions and cook for a further 2 mins over a low heat.
  5. Add the peppers, peas and greens to the casserole dish with chicken and yogurt, stir, cover and cook in the oven for 30 mins,
  6. (When the chicken has been cooking for 15 minutes)Add the drained rice to the saucepan with the onions and spices, add 3/4 pint of boiling water, bring to the boil stirring once, boil rapidly for 5 minutes, then cover and leave undisturbed for 10 minutes (the rice will absorb the water during this time)
  7. Mix the lettuce, sliced tomato and cucumber and set aside. Remove the chicken Bhuna from the over and scatter with coriander before serving with the rice and salad

Does that help at all?

Thank you all so much. I ended up cooking the rice as normal and just putting the onion and spices on top of the rice and then putting the curry on the side. I am no whizz in the kitchen and trying really hard to cook more and this just really affled me.
Thank you Shirleen, that makes alot more sense.

Once again thank you all, you have been a great help, once again :D

Shell x

Back