Recipe: Sweet Potato Soup Topped with Sautéed Halloumi and Mixed Seeds

KD

Gone fishing
This has got to be one of the most delicious soups ever. The chilli olive oil gives it a real kick. Really easy to make too...and doesn't take forever to prepare and cook

Fair amount of calories, but it's done me for dinner (oh and half portion for lunch.)

Don't skip the halloumi cheese and seeds. Really gives it that something special :cool:

Sweet Potato Soup Topped with Saute halloumi and Mixed Seeds

This wholesome, chunky soup can be assembled in minutes, and makes a satisfying lunch or supper dish.

Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time :30 minutes
Serves: 4
Ingredients

3 tbsp chilli-infused olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
500g pack frozen Waitrose Diced Sweet Potatoes
900ml hot vegetable stock
410g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
½ x 250g pack Cypressa Cyprus Halloumi Lite cheese
4 tbsp Waitrose Five Seed Mix, from the home baking section
2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Method

1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the chilli oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the leeks for 5 minutes until softened. Add the sweet potatoes and fry, stirring, for a further 3 minutes.
  2. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Tip in the chickpeas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, drain the cheese, then dice and pat dry on kitchen paper. Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and gently fry the cheese, stirring, for 1 minute. Tip in the seeds and continue to fry, stirring, for a further 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is just beginning to colour.
  4. Using an electric hand blender or potato masher, blend the soup until the vegetables are crushed but not fully puréed. Ladle into bowls and scatter with the halloumi cheese and seeds. Sprinkle with the parsley and a drizzle of extra chilli oil. Serve with a brown batch loaf.
Cook's tips
This soup can be made using canned beans or lentils, instead of chickpeas. Halloumi cheese is ideal for grilling, frying or barbecuing. When cooked, the outside hardens while the inside stays soft.

501 cals for a quarter of it, but it's substantial, and you can always divide it into smaller portions.

Sounds wonderful, but dont think waitrose will let me in the shop, apparently I spend too much time stroking the cake section.

Sounds wonderful, but dont think waitrose will let me in the shop, apparently I spend too much time stroking the cake section.

LOL. I had that trouble in the thorntons cafe today :D Very dangerous place to be :eek:

Oooo, that sounds lovely KD, i love sweet potato n haloomi is gorgeous!! Will remember this when i hit maintainance in around a billion yrs time lol.

Back