Green Day Red Lentil Dahl (Slow Cooker)

Circes

Strutting her stuff
I've got this bubbling away in the slow cooker at the moment. It's looks and smells so good I'm not going to wait until I've tried it before posting the recipe.

Ingredients
1 potato, diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
½ small cauliflower, florets separated
1 small onion, chopped
½ red pepper, chopped
1 courgette, diced
6 large mushrooms, chopped
1 tomato, seeded and diced
56g frozen peas

150g red lentils
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tsp ground cumin
1½ tsp mustard powder
3 tsp turmeric
2 ½ tsp chilli powder
2 tsp curry powder
3 slices ginger, thickly sliced
1½ tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste
400ml reduced fat coconut milk
400ml water

Add all the vegetables to the slow cooker except the frozen peas. Put the harder vegetables such as the carrots on the bottom as they will take longer to cook.

Add the lentils, spices and liquid.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-9 hours. Add the peas and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve with basmati rice.

These quantities fill my 3.5l cooker to within an inch of the top and I reckon I'll get 6 servings at least. For this it works out at 3½ syns per serving.

You could play around with the spices to get a mix that you like.

oo that does sound rather nice. i did a mixed veg and lentil soup for lunch and work tomorrow. love this type of food .
will have to try your recipe circes.
just seen your weight loss. wow! its about what i have to lose. how do you keep going?

Can't claim any credit for the recipe I'm afraid as it's from another site.

Good luck with your weight loss. I think variety in all things is key. Never let yoursef become bored and stuck in a rut eating the same things all the time. Identify what your trigger points are for going off track and plan in advance for what you're going to do when that time comes. Plan your menus and have lots of low syn or syn free foods at hand. And exercise helps keep the weight coming off. Finally never give up!

is the only syns the coconut milk? do you think it could be made without it?

X

You obviously wouldn't get the creaminess that comes with the coconut milk. Personally I think it's worth 3 syns or so but I suppose you could leave it out. I reckon you'd need to add extra water to make up the liquid. You could stir in fat free yoghurt just before serving as well.

Last edited:
oooooh this sounds gorgeous !!!! I will definitely try it over the weekend. I must invest in a slow cooker cos I like the thought of coming home to a tasty meal rather than having to start from scratch when I get in at 7.5pm. Thanks :)

Hope circes doesn't mind - but here's a free one I picked up on another forum;

Something I do (and the kids eat it too!), I fry an onion in frylight, then add 12 oz of dried red lentils (rinse them first but no need to soak), add some dried herbs and one and a half pints of vegetable stock and boil for about 20 minutes. You can have this with rice. Don't be tempted to just use water as I do think you need the flavour of the stock to make it work. Very quick and easy and very cheap!

Back