Red's food diary - advice very gratefully received

Loving the idea of a shot of rum in the hot chocolate. ;)

Did a green day today and upped the syns, may add something to them to bring it up to 10, possibly a glass of wine. Dr Pommettes orders y'know :D

I am dreading the after effects of this soup especially with 2 young boys who find trumping hilarious right now!! They will be sure to inform everyone - the shame.

This is today :

Saturday 16th July - Green
Breakfast – . bowl fruit – grapes, peach , fresh pineapple. Quorn sausage, 2 eggs, lots of mushrooms and onions, 2 small new potatoes, LC beans
Lunch – . cup chicken Bovril, banana
Tea – . Creamy tomato veg and quorn pasta (aubergine, onion, red pepper, musrooms, passata, basil, quorn Philly Light – Hex) and wholemeal pasta – peach and a Mullerlight
Snacks - .Highlights dark choc (1.5), 2 x Pagen krisproll (HexB) coco pops bar (4syns)
Syns – 5.5 syns
HexA – .Philly Light, Babybel Lights
HexB - . Alpen Lights

Heyyyy Melissa! Lovely to see you back again! It's the ONLY thing that matters! It's OK to have phases where we gain for one reason or another (I'm due for one probably similar to yours on Monday after nearly 2 weeks of overindulgence with one meal out after another and generally being off-plan! Hence why I've been a bit quiet!) After all that's life, and long after Target it will continue to throw things at us that break our routine! It's the correcting it afterwards and not letting things slip for good that's the important bit! Because you're here, back on it and wanting it you will do it!! You're back in control and I know what a great feeling that is! 7lb can be gone in 3 weeks, no problem at all and you mustn't see it as a big setback or a failure, but simply as a small break in progress after losing a huge amount in a relatively short space of time! Blimey I've had lots of breaks in progress!! It doesn't mean we've lost any long term focus!

Re. money worries, I'm with you on that one- you're certainly not alone! DH and I have had big talks about how we can cut down hugely on spending and get our credit cards down as it's really taking its toll and I'm sick of all the interest we're paying and always living on the edge and reaching overdraft limits halfway through the month then using credit cards to survive! But then I think how lucky we are to live in a lovely village and to both have good friends, loving families, health, steady jobs and we're blessed in so many ways so I really mustn't complain! Hard not to sometimes though of course! I do believe it's possible to shop sensibly though and still eat healthily by buying cheaper cuts of meat, getting the bargains on fruit & veg and buying pasta and rice in bulk! I think I could save lots on grocery shopping if I try!

Keep smiling and do lots of things that make you feel great, sometimes the little things like reading a book or going for a walk can be uplifting and free! You will do this because you are passionate about it!! XxX

Oh and to add we have been having money issues so I'm kind of eating what I already have and can't afford to buy loads so it might be more green days that anything else. We'll see. I'm trying again anyway :)

I was going to answer this ages ago but Heathers post spurred me on.

Re. money worries, I'm with you on that one- you're certainly not alone! DH and I have had big talks about how we can cut down hugely on spending and get our credit cards down as it's really taking its toll and I'm sick of all the interest we're paying and always living on the edge and reaching overdraft limits halfway through the month then using credit cards to survive! . . . I do believe it's possible to shop sensibly though and still eat healthily by buying cheaper cuts of meat, getting the bargains on fruit & veg and buying pasta and rice in bulk! I think I could save lots on grocery shopping if I try!

I think the world over is struggling for money. We certainly are, but are lucky in some ways in that credit cards aren't available in Spain - it's a cash economy. So if we don't have the cash we can't buy it. We do a food shop for meat and staples (and of course that includes my wine !!!!) as soon as we get our pension each month and just top up fruit and veg as required from the market.

I wrote something on my diary ages ago. Have a look and see if sparks any ideas.
SW on a Budget

My hubby keeps threatening to send me out to earn money. There are apparently lots of spare roundabouts where the "working girls" sit here in Spain. Then he had second thoughts and said people probably wouldn't pay me !!! Cheek of the man. :D

SW on a Budget

My hubby keeps threatening to send me out to earn money. There are apparently lots of spare roundabouts where the "working girls" sit here in Spain. Then he had second thoughts and said people probably wouldn't pay me !!! Cheek of the man. :D

The cheeky monkey Pommette - is he sure he wouldn't earn more?? There is a market ;)

Thanks Pommette will definately check your link out.

Fortunately I do cook and I shop all over so hunt out the cheapest items at certain shops. I know it will pick up again for me as I am fully booked for tutoring mid-August onwards already - which is great!

School hols are difficult as lots of the boys friends go away or on days out and we can't, however, we are fortunate enough to live by a beach with an amazing beach park and we have had several days there with picnics and the kids love it. Lots of bike rides and parks so it's good really :D

Re. money worries, I'm with you on that one- you're certainly not alone! DH and I have had big talks about how we can cut down hugely on spending and get our credit cards down as it's really taking its toll and I'm sick of all the interest we're paying and always living on the edge and reaching overdraft limits halfway through the month then using credit cards to survive! But then I think how lucky we are to live in a lovely village and to both have good friends, loving families, health, steady jobs and we're blessed in so many ways so I really mustn't complain! Hard not to sometimes though of course! I do believe it's possible to shop sensibly though and still eat healthily by buying cheaper cuts of meat, getting the bargains on fruit & veg and buying pasta and rice in bulk! I think I could save lots on grocery shopping if I try!

Keep smiling and do lots of things that make you feel great, sometimes the little things like reading a book or going for a walk can be uplifting and free! You will do this because you are passionate about it!! XxX

So good to hear from you Heather :D

I'm totally with you on being lucky in other ways. As I said in my previous post we do live in a lovely little seaside town and it is beautifully kept. I have great friends and family and two gorgeous little boys. Also I know things will get better in August as I already have work booked in (lots of teenage boys though :rolleyes: so it may be a hard slog - and that's not being sexist, it's the voice of experience :). They seem like great boys though and my two girl students are stars.)

We are the same with the whole credit card thing. When OH and I had boy one he was a bit of a shock and we weren't prepared so we ended up with debts there. We are paying them off slowly and then I lost my job but I have upped the tutoring and card making business. I'm hoping to set up a website for that now I'm no longer Chairperson of the Playgroup (as that was seriously hard work - handover in August!)

I think you are right it is possible to be healthy on a budget and I will certainly be trying. I have some meat in the freezer already and fortunately ;) a massive (!) stock of the old style quorn sausages from when they were 99p in Lidl :D. I'm a big fan of pulses which is always a help on a budget too!

Pommette I have read your tips and I am pleased to report I already do all those things - I was nodding along :D

I find lentils good for bulking out mince as well as carrots, in fact I finely chop whatever veggies to hand (all part of getting them in the boys too ;) ). Great tips though, thank you for sharing.

Just did most of my veggie shop at Lidl this week - they are great for eggs too and 39p for a pack of cherry tomatoes this week - brilliant! Also a good deal on peaches, which is brilliant as my eldest and I are addicted.

I'm so glad I've come back on here and started my diary again. It makes me feel suppported and strengthens my resolve so thank you everyone, you are fab. :D :D xx

Today so far - have mushroom and lentil loaf planned for tea. May add spiced bulgar wheat to that meal depends on how hungry I am. I loved the speed soup.

Wednesday 17th July – Green
Breakfast – . Bowl fruit (peach, fresh pineapple, grapes) quorn sausage, LC beans, egg
Lunch – . Speed soup – watch out world !! Apple (I threw a small handful of leftover pasta into the soup which I left unblended )
Tea – . Large salad with beetroot and Mushroom and lentil loaf (HexA)
Snacks - .
Syns –
HexA – .

The cheeky monkey Pommette - is he sure he wouldn't earn more?? There is a market ;)
I hadn't thought of that! For 58 he's pretty well preserved and does "scrub up" pretty nicely. I'll put it to him and see what he says! :D

Oh I like the sound of the rum in hot choc! If only I hadn't overdone it on the rum so much last night!

Red, you're doing really well, butternut squash soup sounds yummy! Xxxxx

Thank you for posting that Stacey. :D

This is today in full:

Wednesday 17th July– Green

Breakfast – . Bowl fruit (peach, fresh pineapple, grapes) quorn sausage, LC beans, egg

Lunch – . Speed soup – watch out world !! Apple (I threw a small handful of leftover pasta into the soup which I left unblended )

Tea – . Large salad with beetroot and Mushroom and lentil loaf (HexA) spiced bulgar wheat, Tiger Tiger dressing (1syn), olives (1 syn), choc- cherry Mullerlight (2syns)

Snacks - .1 wholewheat crispbread (1 syn), chicken Bovril with some leftover pasta and spring onion in (homemade mugshot!), banana, Options drink (2syns), Go Ahead biscuit (4syns)

Syns – 11

HexA – .Kerry low low spread, RF Cheddar in tea
HexB - .Alpen Lights, Pagen Krisprolls x 3

Hi Red, just written my plan for the day and notice it is very, very similar to what you ate yesterday. Hope you don't think I am stalking you! :eek:

LOL! That's ok, you probably got your inspiration from here like I did. Anyway I confess I do stalk people (kinda ;) ) and get ideas from their diaries. I find it so helpful. But no I don't think you are stalking me :p

This is yesterday I did EE as I had (tinned) salmon with tea - I kind of made it up (tea) - again inspired by something on here and it was lovely:

Monday 18th July – Extra Easy

Breakfast – . Bowl fruit: fresh pineapple, peach, grapes.

Lunch – . bowl superspeed soup, small slice lentil and mushroom loaf (half HexA) and salad

Tea – . Broccoli, pea and salmon bake (philly light – Half HexA, fat free natural yoghurt, sppon fat free cottage cheese, tinned salmon, broccoli, onion, garlic, peas, topped with crushed new potatoes) LC x-Light on top = 1.5syns – served with lots of spinach – Mullerlight yoghurt

Snacks - .banana, Options drink (2 syns),

Syns – 3.5 so far

HexA – .half philly light, half RF cheddar (all measured)
HexB - .Alpen Lights

Jules I feel much better about things being back on plan. Also today was new weigh in day (as when I weighed before I switched it to a Weds because I started back then) and I lost 4.5lbs this week. Woo hoo and although that it a good loss, I think I should remember how easily it all goes on as well.

This was yesterday's food:

Tuesday 19th July – Extra Easy
Breakfast – . Large bowl fruit. Scrambled egg with strips of WW bacon (being sold for a bargainous 99p in my Lidl this week), quorn sausage and beans
Lunch – . Superspeed soup, fruit.
Tea – . youngleaf spinach, warm tomatoes, dessert spoon flageolet beans, WW bacon in strips, new potatoes as a salad (Tiger Tiger dressing – 2syns), Olives (1.5 syns)
Snacks - .Highlights drink (2syns), Alpen Light bars (HexB)
Syns – 5.5
HexA – .250ml semi-skimmed milk (in my choc drink)
HexB - .Alpen Light bars

I have a student tonight for tutoring - she has stayed with me all through the holidays - a dedicated little soul and such a lovely girl, I enjoy tutoring her. She didn't even mention to me last week that I have a Thomas the Tank engine sticker stuck to my chest (courtesy of my 3 year old) all the way through the tutorial. Mind you we did laugh about it when I saw her at the weekend!

I don't think I told you all about the trauma of my 3 year old cutting his hair with the kiddie scissors either. Both boys have relatively long hair (I like it long) anyway he didn't obviously and hacked his fringe off and some on top of his head right to the scalp :eek:. He looked like something out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, so we had to clipper it short (boo hoo) and then eldest son who has gorgeous blonde-curly-surfer-dude hair wanted his clipped too. In fact he BEGGED me for a day. So I let him in the end as it is summer - all his curls gone (boo hoo again). So I have two short hair boys for the summer.

SIlly sausage I meant to say to you in a previous post. I love this Sindy avator, I just felt the need to hark back to my retro dolls and I loved the 'Doris Day' feel of this Sindy.

Oh yes Sindy is FAR superior - old Sindy anyway. Remember she has a little curved tum too. Far more realistic.

Yesterday's food:

Wednesday 20th July - Green
Breakfast – . 2 peaches, some grapes, quorn sausage, beans, mushrooms, onions, new potatoes, garlic all together.
Lunch – . Superspeed soup - salad with flageolet beans, 1 boiled egg and beetroot.
Tea – . Pasta n sauce (1 syn) with x-light Laughing cow (1syn) and quorn sausage (old style), salad, Mullerlight choc/cherry (2syns)
Snacks - .3 Pagen krisprolls (HexB) with 3 Babybel Light melted on (HexA) OMG sooooooooo good, banana, Alpen Lights (HexB) Highlights drink (2syns) , Weetos bar (5syns)
Syns – 11
HexA – .Babybel Lights
HexB - .Alpen Lights, Pagen Krisprolls

The Pagen krisprolls with cheese melted briefly in the microwave - an idea I got from here is a great sub for cheese on toast, yum!

Ooh liking the krisproll cheese on toast notion! Very good idea! Will try this! Maybe today! X

Last edited:
Melissa - fantastic loss this week. Well done for being back on plan and shifting over half of the gain. 3 weeks to get rid of 7 lbs? Rubbish - it'll probably be gone next week!

Back