Refocus group - all welcome!

For me it is definitely the sugar, that tends to lead to wheat such as biscuit/cake/bread, but sugar is always my first port of call. Definitely read that William Leith book, Eatlikeabird, lovely to see you my dear. We're in the same position! I've regained 1 of the 5 stone lost and now i'm battling it off! Managed to get myself back on total with the odd protein moment if things get bad. I've decided to go up stages though as i've got another 3/4 stone to go. I'm doing total for the first stone (11lbs to go), then lite for the next stone, then atkins for the next and then go in to maintainance. That's the grand plan anyway! I'm also trying not to feel guilty about it all, and if i have a blip I try to keep it small and get straigh back on. It might take me longer, but it's better than the crazy bingeing on carbs which has taken place over the last few months!

Thanks Spangly I'll have a look at that. Hope the cake was so nice that it was completely worth it. You planned it and thats adult thinking.
Well done Juju and good luck.

Hey Deb,
I found a link to a talk by Lustig, the dr behind that Telegraph article you referenced for Sugar: the bitter truth.

My Dukan Diet: Toxic Sugar

Its too much chemistry for me but waded through it to see if anything sunk in. One thing did make sense in that fructose in junk food is the bad thing. I guess this makes sense as to why home cooked food is less fattening.

Last edited:
Hey Deb,
I found a link to a talk by Lustig, the dr behind that Telegraph article you referenced for Sugar: the bitter truth.

Its too much chemistry for me but waded through it to see if anything sunk in. One thing did make sense in that fructose in junk food is the bad thing. I guess this makes sense as to why home cooked food is less fattening.

Oooh thanks for that Deb. I'll have a look at that in a bit. Btw, did you catch The Bridge last night? I have recorded it :)

So, I stayed on the packs. Went to a lovely little French resturarant and got them to make up a vegetable soup pack for me ;) I havent stopped all weekend. Came in from work yesterday and then went to visit Rosslyn Chapel with OH's Mum. (Its only 3 miles from me and I've never been!). Then we went out for the meal and then off to the pub. I had soda water. Then this morning, had BodyCombat followed by BodyPump. I was exhausted by the end of Pump. Then off to Edinburgh where we wandered around the Grassmarket, the Royal Mile and then OH's Mum and I visitied the Palace of Holyrood House. Again, I've never been! I am now ready for a snooze!

I didnt have weigh in yesterday as I was working. However, I weighed myself and I've lost 11lbs. Magic! Quite incredible :) Very happy. I think I will have to have a snooze now. Catch up properly soon folks xx

Debbi - I'd not noticed you were in Edinburgh and your post made me all nostalgic as I lived there for 13 years! I went there for university and then stayed afterwards for another nine years. Rosslyn Chapel is amazing, isn't it? I couldn't believe it when it was featured in the Dan Brown book. I went to an evening music concert there once and it was quite spooky.

Hearing about the Grassmarket and Royal Mile made me sooo nostalgic. It was really difficult to leave Edinburgh - I had good friends there and it's a wonderful, beautiful place, but my hubby got himself a job down here and I followed. Ironic really, given that he's now retired on medical grounds - but there are more opportunities in publishing down here so it's worked out for the best really. I'm hoping to get a trip to Edinburgh in this year as I want my girls to see it - it was a place of real significance to me - and I still have friends there.

Anyway - listen to me burbling on!

Am hoping to draw (yet) another line today _______________________ as the weekend was a washout, foodwise, alcoholwise, everythingwise really. Scared of getting on the scales. But more positively, I HAVE BEEN SWIMMING BEFORE WORK THIS MORNING! (I am currently sat in my office polishing my halo.)

Go me!

Hope everyone has a brilliant day today!

Day 1 done. Day two also successful so far (including another swim). How's everyone else getting on?

Evening all

Yes Spangly, I'm an Edinburgh girl, born and bred, although I actually live in Penicuik now. No point in putting that in my profile or no one would know where it was lol. There's so much to see and do in Edinburgh. Your girls would love it, but you know that :)

So, naughty weigh in myself and it looks like I'll have lost a stone by the time I get weighed tomorrow night. Well chuffed with that. Its taken me back to my 'BMI being 25' target weight. Its a comfortable weight for me, but I want to lose more to give myself a little leeway for my holidays.

Its funny how I can quite happily stick to the packs and not bother about food in the office. Hmmm. How do I ignore the biscuits once I'm back to conventional food?

No gym tonight. I work a 10 hour day on Tuesdays, so its the one night that I dont go out at the moment. Mind you, I'm fit for nothing. Still really tired, still having times when I feel hungry. If I didnt know better, I'd think I was pregnant! Have you been swimming 2 days running Spangly? Well done you :)

How is everyone else?

Well done Spangly on 2 days successfully under your (shrinking) belt.
Just completed first day of lite, not sure I can cope with having access to food like this and thinking about it even more. Don't think lite will satisfy the cravings but hope and see.
Happy day tomorrow all

Hey Deb,

I've watched the first 30 minutes and there is a bit too much chemistry for me...however, very interesting stuff.

I've got another interesting read, which I got free with my Bodyfit mag this month. Its by Michael Pollan and its called Food Rules. I think I might track down other books that he has written. The rules are things like Dont Eat Anything Your Great-Grandmother Wouldnt Recognise As Food. Another rule is Avoid Food Products That Contain High Fructose Corn Syrup...although he believes sugar is sugar and that HFCS is just the same as Sucrose. He sums it up as Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants.

I'm doing ok so far on the diet. Managing to avoid all the temptations. I think its because I have a goal to lose as much as I can before the end of May so I can wear my nice jeans again. Its when I don't have that incentive and I think I can take a break from watching what I'm eating that I go crazy.
I have to lose 11.5lbs to get back to where I was before. So that is the goal for 4 weeks time. Or I'd be happy to lose more, of course. lol.
Didn't see The Bridge on Saturday Deb, going to check it out now on the repeat.

Day 2 for me again *sigh* Boy, abstinence this time is really a world apart from last time.

Spangly, well done for working the swims into your busy schedule :) It's cardio, strength and toning all rolled into one. What a great way of starting the day.

Debbi, wow that's an amazing loss - yay for no longer being overweight!

I went to Edinburgh two years ago for the first time and it was wonderful. We stayed there for 3 days (one day the sun was shining, one day it rained and the last one it snowed - proper Scottish weather:p) and then toured the Highlands. One of the best holidays ever.

Have you ladies ever heard of Slimpod?

I'm usually not a big fan of hypnotherapy, but was so gutted at the beginning of the year when I started to gain weight again that I looked into a more affordable alternative to hypnotherapy when my LLC suggested it. I bought one of the recordings several months ago and did it for a while - you have to listen to the recording once a day, usually when you go to bed - but felt it didn't really help. Then I started skipping days and haven't done it in a while now. Might start again and see if it helps at all the second time around.
It's a form of unconscious persuasion, which they call cognitive hypnotherapy with wordweaving.

Eatlikeabird, you made me think of it when you mentioned your 'goal jeans', as the recording I bought back then is the 'drop two jeans sizes' one.

It all sounded a bit strange initially, but many people swear by it, so who knows...

Ooh I heard of slim pods ages ago but never followed it up. Thank you for the recommendation. Just been and checked out the website and have to say it's quite appealing. Both the price, and the fact that it's a UK person on the recordings. Not that I have anything against American wisdom, you understand, just that with hypnotherapy it's good to have something 'familiar'. I think I'm going to get one and try it out. I already think I'm making positive changes, just from this week, but I think it would be good reinforcement.

So, day 3 for you today, blue. Things could be getting a lot easier for you in the next day or two. Hang in there!!

Got another mega hectic day today and a scarecrow would be proud of my hair. I need a swim hat!!! There's nowhere at the pool (obv not literally AT the pool, but in the 'vanity area' - you know what I mean!) to plug in straighteners so I've been looking a fright all week (I have very thick and naturally curly/frizzy hair that needs to be tamed to look presentable!). I've got the Vice President of a big company coming in to see me this afternoon so I'm taking a mirror and my straighteners so I can sit in my office and sort out my hair this morning lol. Classic.

(I can't buy a hat from the pool as I know from bitter experience that 'one size fits all' doesn't work for me with any kind of hats, including swimming ones. I had an unfortunate experience with one pinging off my head in a pool in my Edinburgh days that I don't want to repeat. I think I've found a source of bigger sized hats online though and will be ordering a couple! To give an idea: my summer hat, which I need to replace after ruining it in my luggage on the way back from India, is a men's Large panama from M & S. Real pity it got spoiled. It made the trip out fine, but I didn't pack it as well on the way back so it got crushed :-()

Hope everyone has a fantastic day! Xxx

Spangly, I have the same problem with hats! Even my adjustable bike helmet is super tight and it's unisex. :eek:

Glad you're giving Slimpods a go - I'm curious to know what you'll think of them. Which one are you getting?
In most cases you get the Chillpod for free as well, which is quite helpful sometimes. It helps you relax and meditate and I've found it useful in the past to listen to it when the chatterbox was getting too loud and I was about to give in and binge.

Good luck with your meeting this afternoon.

Hope everyone else is doing ok as well and not letting the weather get them down :)

Have a good one!

Evening all

Thanks bluesunflower...I didnt actually think about the fact that I'm not 'overweight' anymore. Yay! I'm chuckling away at the Edinburgh weather. Aye, that'll be about right ;) Where do you live?

Rosieposie and Debs, how are you both getting on?

Spangly, I'm with you there sister! I have very curly hair and a big fat head lol. Check out my pics.

I was really hungry yesterday and did BodyAttack class which is a high impact aerobic based class. I ended up having 6 packs yesterday because I was just so hungry. Maybe I would have been better having some lean protein? Hmmm...never mind. Today was much better and I dont feel like killing someone for their food!

I cant remember if I shared with you all, but I am training to be a locum LLC :) My training is tomorrow and Sunday, all day. I had some pre-read and an exam to do this afternoon. I also need to check exactly where I am going for the training. Its in a hotel at Edinburgh Airport, but I'm not 100% sure where it is, so need to double check that one. Double yay!

Technical question - how come my photo doesnt show in posts, but it does if I look at my profile?

What's a locum LLC? Does that mean you don't have to run the franchise but can help out and run counselling sessions? Sounds really interesting. What made you think of it? Does it take a lot of training? I'm not sure why your photo isn't showing. Maybe ask one of the moderators? (so many questions lol)

I'm in a bit of a 'meh' mood today after a great week. I weighed myself this morning and have gone UP, basically it's water retention as I had some minor naughties after work yesterday: some nuts, some Dr Pepper Zero (which I'd never had ever before until someone mentioned it onthe slim and save forum. Who knew there was an almond- flavoured drink out there?! Nom nom) and some smoked sausage. Resisted opening the wine though, which I feel is an achievement for a Friday night of late. Sure it must be water as I've stuck to packs 100% all week apart from that.

Got a busy day today with parents' morning at nursery and then ballet for my eldest.

On a cheerier note my special spade came for my allotment so I can get digging later today or tomorrow!

Also should note here that my LLC suggested I submit my story to the LL magazine now I've been maintaining for over a year!!

Last edited:
Debbi, feeling a bit less hungry today?
I've reduced the number of weekly runs at the moment, because it's just making me feel incredibly hungry on three packs. Can't stop spinning though. Finally a good addiction ;) I'd also like to do a bit more strength training, to tone up as I lose. I've been meaning to start the 'The New Rules of Lifting' programme for ages.

That's so exciting about becoming a locum. What does the training cover?
The locum who covers some of the meetings here is great and she's the one who introduced me to the programme in the beginning.
When are you going to start? Running the groups, doing weigh-ins and so on will surely help with maintenance, as it will keep you accountable and in the zone. :)

Oh, and I live in London.

How's everyone else doing?

Onwards and downwards, ladies!

Edited as I hadn't seen Spangly's post: surely the gain can't be actual fat; as you said it's probably water retention - especially since smoked sausage contains a lot of salt.
Have fun diggin :D Is the weather allowing it?
And YAY for submitting your story to the LL magazine. A lady in my group did it and said she got a fantastic makeover and got to try on lovely clothes for the photoshoot (unfortunately they no longer let you keep them, though, it seems).

Hi All
glad to see that you are all hanging in there. Shame Spangly about gain but can't be fat.
I've not been posting as just not doing well and can't make up my mind what to do. I think my real problem is that I don't believe that even if the I lose the weight I can keep it off long term so doesn't seem worth the effort combined with not feeling well this time round.
I've also decided to try the slimpod as might help, so started that yesterday but can't even set my goals on that so not great. I am really thinking that LL is not the solution for me and I just need to find a way of not dieting but controlling the food i eat. But of course I want to lose the weight quickly and i can't get my head round losing slowly which is the first requisite for eating healthily and thus losing weight.
I'm not sure that the slimpod and a vlcd go together but might try for a bit. I don't think your supposed to "diet" with slimpod but could be wrong.
This weekend I am just attempting low carb eating and will think again on Monday if I go back to LL or not.
All success to you all this weekend.

A locum LLC can cover for a short period of time, up to 3 weeks I think (I really should know!!). So its a fairly intensive training weekend, 9-5 both days. So my LLC will ask me if I can cover certain sessions and I get paid to facilitate them. She also has an Associate LLC, who has her own groups and is fully trained. But the Associate is trying to grow her own separate business and is finding it a struggle to cover for the LLC. So they thought it a good idea to get someone else trained and as they both know me, they asked me if I was interested. I think it will be an additional tool to help me with my maintenance bluesunflower. I guess as soon as she wants me to cover a class, I'll do it. I have brought home the 'big silver folder' and a copy of all the books. I'm looking forward to working my way through the ones I didnt do :)

Amazing how fattening the food on offer was today. Pastries and biscuits on arrival. Waffles and something else mid morning. Gamon and pineapple or four cheese ravioli or (what looked like) deep fried fish cakes for lunch with side orders of coleslaw and another salad drenched in mayo. Then scones in the afternoon! Thank goodness I'm doing Total. Dont think I could have resisted :) I'm still feeling hungry. I guess its the amount of exercise, which obviously I wasnt doing when I started off on Total previously.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time rosieposie. You don't believe that if you lose the weight that you can keep it off long term? Hmmm, not sure what to suggest. Good luck with your slimpod though, that may be the answer :)

Spangly, what is your special spade? OH has been busy in the garden today and has cleared another patch for a raised bed. Yay! We'll probably not plant until Bank Holiday weekend, just to make sure that the ground has warmed up. What are you planning on planting?

Better crack on with my homework for tomorrow. No rest for the wicked ;)

Evening all

How is everyone this evening? I'm coping on Total so far...the large loss definately helps! Today I started the Couch to 5k programme. I think I may be crazy. However, I was talking to a personal trainer who recommended running to help tighten and tone up. My legs are certainly feeling it at the moment!

Locum training was very interesting stuff...not surprisingly I picked up on some stuff that I could do with working on.

Debs, did you catch The Bridge yet? I'm enjoying it. Not as good as Fordelbrysen, but never mind, nothing ever is!!

Back