Removing skin from chicken

OpalLilyEats

Gold Member
This might seem like a REALLY stupid question, I even feel embarrassed asking!! :eek:

Up until now, I've only ever really used chicken breast fillets but I'm keen to try using chicken drumsticks and thighs. The only issue is - how do you get the skin off?!

Do you take it off when it's raw? (I would assume so, otherwise you'd lose any marinade?!) If so, how do you take it off? Do you just pull it? Does it come off easily?!

Or
Do you boil it, then remove the skin and then marinade it after before cooking again?!

I really am clueless! :confused:

aw_bless said:
This might seem like a REALLY stupid question, I even feel embarrassed asking!! :eek:

Up until now, I've only ever really used chicken breast fillets but I'm keen to try using chicken drumsticks and thighs. The only issue is - how do you get the skin off?!

Do you take it off when it's raw? (I would assume so, otherwise you'd lose any marinade?!) If so, how do you take it off? Do you just pull it? Does it come off easily?!

Or
Do you boil it, then remove the skin and then marinade it after before cooking again?!

I really am clueless! :confused:

Not silly as I have thought the same and always thought it would be a bit footery...must give it a try

It's not silly at all, for me personally I sometimes struggle to get the skin off so I take it off after it's been cooked (my consultant said this was ok as long as I didn't eat any of it it would remain free) but it would mean the marinate wouldn't have got in the meat as deeply. I have noticed that supermarkets have started to sell skinless and boneloss chicken thighs so I buy these all the time now as they're so much more tasty than chicken breasts x

StarGir1 said:
It's not silly at all, for me personally I sometimes struggle to get the skin off so I take it off after it's been cooked (my consultant said this was ok as long as I didn't eat any of it it would remain free) but it would mean the marinate wouldn't have got in the meat as deeply. I have noticed that supermarkets have started to sell skinless and boneloss chicken thighs so I buy these all the time now as they're so much more tasty than chicken breasts x

Def agree with the thighs they are so much tastier and can stand up better to longer cooking eg casseroles without drying. I don't like breast meat as its too dry and I think it's worse when it hasn't been doctored with olive oil so it's thighs all the time for me.

I always buy the thighs cooked from Morrisons 5 for £2.00 love them usually buy salad and have some of these for dinner yum yum!!!!

Good tip for getting the skin off is to put them in a pan of cold water and boil for 5 minutes, let them cool a little and the skin comes off very easily. :)

When I use drumsticks, pull the skin down to the bone end making sure to pull it so its inside out, (so to speak). Then either using a knife hold it down on a chopping board pull the drumstick or get a peice of kitchen roll and roll the skin and kitchen roll around your finger and pull. Good upper arm exercise as well.

Back