Request for interview with Jim

Lynn8124

Gold Member
Jim, I am overawed by your success and was wondering if you would mind answering a few qs to inspire us all? Also interesting to get a male perspective.:)

1.When did you first become aware of a problem with the weight?

2.Did you feel you were treated differently in society?

3.Had you tried diets in the past?

4.What was different this time and how did you know Atkins was gonna be your success story?

5.What is the best thing/adventure you have had as a slimmer person?

DCS Lynn will shush now lol.:D

Brill idea Lyn :clap:

I have a couple to ask too. Coincidentally, was wondering about this yesterday

6. Did you ever 'tweak' the diet out of habit/just if needed/never

7. There must of been some occasions (????) where things didn't go to plan, or you went off plan for an event? What did you do next?

8. How difficult did you find it? Or did your desire to lose weight override any difficulties?

9. How did your nearest and dearest (and even others), view your choice of diet?

:)

Just wanted to hijack the thread and say hi KD :) Long time no speak.. hope you're well. Jim'll be back after the weekend no doubt - look forward to his answers!

Me too just wanted to say hello KD it's been awhile and as you can see I finally reached my goal :)

nice thread Lynn I'm curious about this too from jim my mentor and whose shoulders I lean on and helping me with maintenance.

Hiya Ladies
HiBye01.gif

Fab news about getting to goal morenachica
Congrats08.gif

Well done and enjoy maintaining your new weight!

OK,

I'll bookmark this thread for the moment as it will need lots of thinking about.

Interesting post as I've just been of a 4 day binge. :D

Lyn

1.When did you first become aware of a problem with the weight?

“Back in 2001 we had a holiday in Lanzarote, It started very badly as I couldn’t fit into the seat on the plane, luckily my wife is very skinny and the stewardess allowed us to raise the seat arm between us and brought me a pregnancy seat belt extender. By that point I was Hot, sweaty and feeling really breathless, not an unusual feeling by then to be honest”.

2.Did you feel you were treated differently in society?

“No, I can’t say I was, but I’ll be frank and say that I think this is because I’m male, I was called a big man, or big jim etc, it certainly had no impact on my career that’s for sure”.

3.Had you tried diets in the past?

“Oh yes, I tried them all, even CD and failed miserably on every one. No fault with the diets, all down to me being hungry and miserable and then giving in”.

4.What was different this time and how did you know Atkins was gonna be your success story?

“I wasn’t sure Atkins was the one until about 3 months into it, at that point I thought, My Dr is happy, my tests are getting better every month, I’m not hungry, I don’t feel bloated and I have so much energy. I think I can do this”.

5.What is the best thing/adventure you have had as a slimmer person?

“Just about every day, I can run up stairs, I don’t have to think about finding a Café with chairs with no arms, I can go on holiday without any worries, I can buy clothes of the peg and not have to got to Big man’s shop God the list is endless”.

6. Did you ever 'tweak' the diet out of habit/just if needed/never

“I didn’t specifically tweak the diet, but I did ignore the rule about no alcohol on induction, I drank dry red wine most Friday nights, I just factored the carbs into my daily intake for that day”.

KD
7. There must of been some occasions (????) where things didn't go to plan, or you went off plan for an event? What did you do next?

“Oh yes, I just went straight back on plan, I won’t lie and say I wasn’t disgusted with myself, because I was. You have to be honest with yourself, if you have cheated, you must ask yourself WHY? And then try to avoid the situation that caused it”.

8. How difficult did you find it? Or did your desire to lose weight override any difficulties?

“Hmm, I truly believe that there is a diet out there for everyone, not every diet will suit every person, Atkins suited me because it allowed me to eat and I probably have very little will power over my eating habits. Provided I’m not hungry, I’m happy”.

9. How did your nearest and dearest (and even others), view your choice of diet?

“My wife and my Doctor were happy but only after my monthly blood, liver and kidney tests started improving, and I was losing shed loads of weight, which is usual I suspect for most diets in the initial stages. Others I’m afraid were very negative and I soon learned not to say I was on Atkins, the so called killer diet.  Even today I say I’m on Low carb or I don’t have a sweet tooth, funny isn’t it, when the girls all bring cakes in they are quite happy to buy me a pork pie because They think that’s OK, If I said I was on Atkins they’d really worry about me”.

Very interesting read

That was very interesting jim.. thanks for that :)

Hi Jim, I am on a VLCD at the mo and it is working very well for me so far but looking to the future I know carbs are a big problem for me and am looking to avoid them when I return to eating. My only worry with Atkins is - cholesterol - have you had any problems with this at all?
Cheers
B xx

B, Oh yes Cholesterol is a huge problem isn't it. Mine was so high it was one of the reasons my Dr told me I was going to die! Atkins was my saviour that way, month after month in the first 6 months my blood tests got better and better, now after all these years on Atkins I now have very low cholesterol readings I'm pleased to say.

You've done well on VLCD haven't you, 50lbs gone, you must feel great.

Thanks Jim, yes I do feel absolutely 100% better than I did 3 months ago and hope to keep going for a while yet as I still have quite a lot to lose, but as I say I need to look to the future too - am glad that Atkins has had that effect on you and helped your health no end!
Cheers
Bren xx

Thanks bren, it does feel good, and the best thing of all for me is I don't ever have to go Hungry love.

lol, isn't it funny how we associate fat and eggs with high colesterol, yet usually when a person cuts down their carb intake and essentially the refined carbs(bread, spuds, cakes etc) then their levels improve, if needed and I don't think they get worse.

My HDL (good colesterol) is high which is good and my LDL is a tad high which isn't so good for me but the overall is 5.4 my diabetes consultant is happy enough with that but a nurse at my health centre says its high. I know I can lower the ldl by changing my eating habits and sticking with lower carb, using olive oil and coconut oil for cooking.

I reckon it's fat and carbs combined that does the harm. Just need to put my preach into practice lol.;)

Oh I totally agree Lynn, fat AND carbs is the killer love.

Hey Jim :wavey: and all the rest of you lovely peeps
Just so you know I haven't completely dropped off the radar.
Found the q&a enlightening and motivating.

Hi Dom, I wondered where you were love. How are you doing?

Hey Jim - am never far away (in the virtual sense) :D Works been busy, my eldest child is giving me jip - I thought once they reached their 20s they stopped having teenage tantrums :banghead: Just about maintaining - trying to eat low carb in the main, but weekends are my downfall.

Anyways, don't want to hijack this thread with all my woes - glad to see everyone is doing well.

Back