**Restarting** Day 1

Sass

Silver Member
:wavey:

Just thought i would show my face here again as this forum and the great people here helped me so much last year when i was dieting. Stupidly i went and pilled it all back on through being plain greedy and mindless about food.

I plan to work on my mind set regarding food whilst on the diet this time, does anyone know of any good self help books?

I will be around a lot so look forward to reading peoples story's and speaking to you all.

Welcome back. :D

The main thing to learn is about calories and portion sizes. But I think this can only be done properly if you ignore the ridiculous guidelines that the so called experts recommend. Too many people are under the impression that men can have 2500 calories and women 2000 calories per day. These figures are seriously flawed.

For a more accurate way to work out how many calories you are allowed in a day you have to work out your BMR. There are many calculators on the internet and some of them do give slightly different results. My recommended daily intake (for my goal weight) would be around 1650 calories, so if I had 2500 per day, I’d put on 2lbs per week!! :(

As helpful as some books may be, many of them generally don't take individual differences in to consideration. I'm sure there must be some really helpful ones out there though, so I would be interested in any recommendations as well.

I would imagine that spending more time on moving up the steps of Cambridge could be of more use than books, as it's hands on experience rather than theory. I think many people tend to rush the steps or maybe even skip them completely. If anything, they are the most important part of the diet. Once all the steps are complete, a lot of it will be trial and error, rather than having to stick to strict rules and specific foods or recipes. The worst thing for me would be feeling like I have to be on a diet for the rest of my life.

Thanks Madferret. I'm on day 2 now and doing okay.

How are you managing today on your first day?

Welcome back. :D

The main thing to learn is about calories and portion sizes. But I think this can only be done properly if you ignore the ridiculous guidelines that the so called experts recommend. Too many people are under the impression that men can have 2500 calories and women 2000 calories per day. These figures are seriously flawed.

For a more accurate way to work out how many calories you are allowed in a day you have to work out your BMR. There are many calculators on the internet and some of them do give slightly different results. My recommended daily intake (for my goal weight) would be around 1650 calories, so if I had 2500 per day, I’d put on 2lbs per week!! :(

As helpful as some books may be, many of them generally don't take individual differences in to consideration. I'm sure there must be some really helpful ones out there though, so I would be interested in any recommendations as well.

I would imagine that spending more time on moving up the steps of Cambridge could be of more use than books, as it's hands on experience rather than theory. I think many people tend to rush the steps or maybe even skip them completely. If anything, they are the most important part of the diet. Once all the steps are complete, a lot of it will be trial and error, rather than having to stick to strict rules and specific foods or recipes. The worst thing for me would be feeling like I have to be on a diet for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your ideas on calories FBS, it does seem like the recommended calorie amounts do need to be re evaluated.

There was a book a friend on here mentioned last year. so i dug through old posts and found it. The books are by Dr. Beck's, i might get one see how it helps. To be honest i will try anything that may help me 1) stick to the diet and 2) keep the weight off. Here's a link to the site is anyone is interested www.beckdietsolution.com - Home

I have that book and I find it very very good
I am off on holiday next week and when I get back will be restarting cd and getting my beck copy out for a read
hope you are still doing well :)

Back