Rita von Ruben's "Lots to Lose = More opportunities to win!" Food Diary

Ow dear I think iv got all my brands mixed up! Iv been having 6 original Crikey! Thanks for pointing that out to me! I joined in class and got the books( obviously didn't read them very well) lol I DETEST veg so when I have veg in my plate its the first thing I eat (and very fast) jut wolf it don't hardly chew the damn stuff! Fruit I love! Could happily eat it all day! I decided to join just after Xmas resolution and when I turned up at the venue I was stood outside and so nearly came home but thought oh come in your here now just go in! Lol i don't think I would be any good without my class as I like the weigh in day! I get excites about thinking how much I have lost ! Not so much with a gain lol! Sounds like your doing great though so congrats! =] x

You dont sound at all silly for saying that (first part of your sentence)" the diet is the biggest part of my life,"infact why not capitalize on that and become the best dieter ever ! Try new recipes and make a mini career out of it by photographing your food and posting recipes on here, they are always welcomed and we are grateful for them.

You added "right now"and thats exactly right. Dieting is hard and takes a lot of energy but the better you feel about yourself the more confident you will be in doing additional stuff. Its ok that the diet dominates for now.

You asked about cereal. I cant remember the name of it but it's on line as a HEX its an Allbran crunchy something or other. Its very crispy and crunchy and lends itself well to layering (its not a flake) I find mullers too sweet so mix them with yeo valley fat free natural,they are then much creamier too !

Have a great diet filled day tomorrow,knowing that even if you are a bit obsessed with it right now (as we all are) that by concentrating so hard will give you long term freedom to persue stuff you haven't even thought of yet :)

Will reply to your posts tomorrow ladies, just updating the food diary and heading off for an early night!

Day 7. Did okay today. Woke up with a migraine at 6am and ended up sleeping on and off till midday, so I skipped breakfast and then completely forgot about my healthy extras all day! So I've just had a small bowl of cereal and milk before bed, wish I hadn't treated myself to that popcorn beforehand though, even though it was within my syns. I didn't really need it if I'd only remembered about my Healthy Extras!!!

Breakfast
Banana

Lunch
Syn free chips
1 tbsp ketchup (1 syn)

Snack
Banana
Pink Lady apple
Loads of strawberries + sweetener
Grapes
Mango & Passion fruit Muller light

Dinner
Baked potato
Gammon steak
1 tbsp lurpak (5.5 syns)
1/3rd plate of superfree iceberg lettuce, red onion and cucumber salad

Snack
Popcorn, 25g (6.5 syns)
Honey nut shredded wheat (HExB) w/ milk (HExA)

Drinks
Fanta Zero
Glass of milk (remaining HExA)

Syns used: 13

Ow dear I think iv got all my brands mixed up! Iv been having 6 original Crikey! Thanks for pointing that out to me! I joined in class and got the books( obviously didn't read them very well) lol I DETEST veg so when I have veg in my plate its the first thing I eat (and very fast) jut wolf it don't hardly chew the damn stuff! Fruit I love! Could happily eat it all day! I decided to join just after Xmas resolution and when I turned up at the venue I was stood outside and so nearly came home but thought oh come in your here now just go in! Lol i don't think I would be any good without my class as I like the weigh in day! I get excites about thinking how much I have lost ! Not so much with a gain lol! Sounds like your doing great though so congrats! =] x

No problem, it's all confusing when you first start because the small differences in brands can often be a big difference in quantity!

I do the same with veg, always shovel it in first and try to save the best stuff for last! I'd love to find a way to make veg taste more palatable to me. I do make a spicy carrot soup which I think is delicious, it only has leeks and carrots in it as far as the veggies go, but it's very sweet and creamy tasting, with a little bit of heat and spice. That's one of the few veggie meals I can eat! Also, roast parsnips are lovely, but they're not as nice in frylight as they are in oil! I need to try cook them at various temperatures because every time I've cooked them in frylight they seem to just go dry and shrivel right up to nothing!

I'd love to find a way to make green vegetables taste nicer! My biggest veggie weakness is tempura vegetables from my favourite japanese restaurant - fried in a light tempura batter, carrot sticks, runner beans, sweet potato, etc. Not very diet friendly though I'm afraid! :(

You dont sound at all silly for saying that (first part of your sentence)" the diet is the biggest part of my life,"infact why not capitalize on that and become the best dieter ever ! Try new recipes and make a mini career out of it by photographing your food and posting recipes on here, they are always welcomed and we are grateful for them.

You added "right now"and thats exactly right. Dieting is hard and takes a lot of energy but the better you feel about yourself the more confident you will be in doing additional stuff. Its ok that the diet dominates for now.

You asked about cereal. I cant remember the name of it but it's on line as a HEX its an Allbran crunchy something or other. Its very crispy and crunchy and lends itself well to layering (its not a flake) I find mullers too sweet so mix them with yeo valley fat free natural,they are then much creamier too !

Have a great diet filled day tomorrow,knowing that even if you are a bit obsessed with it right now (as we all are) that by concentrating so hard will give you long term freedom to persue stuff you haven't even thought of yet :)

Thank you so much for your words of support and encouragement, jilly. I'm not sure if I'm adventurous enough (or a good enough cook!) to share lots of recipes and take photos, but I did take what you said to heart and started writing a blog devoted to my diet yesterday. I haven't really gone into food much on there, but instead I've listed some of my goals, hopes and dreams along with photos so that I always have it to hand as a quick-fix of inspiration and motivation. I've also started talking about some of the emotional issues relating to being overweight, because I feel like for so many years I've bottled up so much pain and hurt inside, and letting it out in little bits does seem to be helping me emotionally. Sometimes it's just very difficult to write about it, because I try not to think about a lot of the things that upset me, I just put them to the back of my mind and pretend they don't exist or never happened :(

I'll definitely try out your cereal/yogurt tip and try to pick up some of the allbran crunchy.

Thanks again for being awesome <3

Today was the first weigh in day and I've lost 5lbs :)

Congratulation! :) I only lost half a pound this week but I had a vanilla crown on Saturday which I think tipped me over the edge! But was worth it coZ it was Delicious!! But 100% this week :)

Congratulation! :) I only lost half a pound this week but I had a vanilla crown on Saturday which I think tipped me over the edge! But was worth it coZ it was Delicious!! But 100% this week :)

Well Done on you Brilliant weight loss :D

Well done on your fab loss RVR, your diary looks great & you're doing so well :)

Thank you ladies! Your encouragement is greatly appreciated <3 Aim for this week is to get my big bum moving a bit and do some exercise!

Well done RvR ! 5lb is a terrific weight loss. Thats a fabulous start and you are really getting stuck in by the sounds of things. Excercise will really help to make you feel good about your body and what you are capable of. It is, according to scientific reports good for burning off calories well after you take off your trainers and for hours afterwards.(this applies to walking as well as more energetic stuff) Goal setting and writing an excercise journal might be useful too.

Carry on being brilliant !!

Hi RVR you havnt posted for a while!
how are you doing??
still on track??

I'v had an aweful week (food wise) kebab wednesday night (no chips though)
then i had a chinese thursday =0 not a good chinese i had a combo box, and then Cantonese crispy beef! but the crispy beef did me breakfast =0 and tea the next day! still not good though is it lol

hope your well though

=]

Thanks for the replies ladies, sorry for disappearing!

I'm doing okay, still on track. Had a tough couple of weeks with lots of mood swings, cravings, emotional upset/frustration regarding the fact that I can no longer comfort eat the way I used to, but I've been tough with myself and really stuck to it. I lost 5lbs the first week, 3lbs the second and 3lbs the third, for a total 11lb loss so far.

If I'm honest, I felt completely and utterly underwhelmed every time I stepped on the scales and saw a small loss. I know we all get there one little step at a time, but I just want it to happen quicker, I don't want to go through all this stress of dieting for the next two years, which I likely will have to do. It sounds pathetic, petulant and whingy and I hate that it makes me feel like this and turns me into this whiny person with this dependency on food. I *know* that food won't fix my problems, I *know* that I have an unhealthy relationship with food, but I have never before felt like I want to just slam my face into a whole chocolate cake like I do right now.

I think perhaps it's just the fact that I can no longer have things that is making me want them more. I know it's all psychological problems, I know I have started and will continue to lose weight if I stick to it and I know that it will make me happier in the long term. I just hate these useless, worthless, whingy feelings, mood swings and all the rest. I feel deprived, which is ridiculous considering I eat more on the diet than I ever did before starting it and I know that for the most part I am actively ENJOYING the diet, I am loving eating fruit and salads and such and I love the fact that syns allows me to have treats like the occasional packet of crisps or butter on my baked potato - I only feel this way when I crave something I can't have, like a Chinese take away with my favourite foods. The stupid thing is I know if I gave in and took a day off from the diet, I wouldn't even enjoy it as much as I imagine I will and I'll feel awful and regret it afterwards because it'll make these three weeks of hard work and determination a waste!!

I've also been angry with myself because I have a horrible habit of eating only free foods and healthy extras throughout the day and saving up all my syns to have "treats" in the evening, like "you've had a good day, so go on, treat yourself!". Most of them time by the evening after dinner it's a) far too late to eat and b) I'm not even hungry, but I eat it anyway because I don't want to feel like I'm depriving myself further! :( Despite that, I have stuck to 15 syns or less every day, averaging 10-14.

It's just... frustrating.

Last edited:
Hey RvR!:)

Just read through your diary. Well done on your losses so far - you've done brilliantly! 11lbs in 3 weeks is fantastic. Keep it up!

Your introduction post reminded me a lot of myself, the goals you're aiming for, the health issues you have etc. I too have struggled with my weight all my life, because of comfort eating. I believed that food could solve all my problems! Well it can't and it's taken me a long time to realise that. SW has really helped me overcome the emotional eating. I eat because I'm hungry, stomach hungry, not brain hungry. I've learned to distinguish between the 2! Yes I've had a couple of blips, but when I look back on them it's never been out of an emotional eating binge - its been an event, or a treat for the weekend! I have been able to completely change my mindset on the whole thing. Yeah so I'm having a bad day - having 20 syns extra will make that day even worse - so to satisfy the food craving, I eat superfree, that way I'm still comfort eating but it's not a bar of chocolate or 10 biscuits! I know that is probably not a healthy way to change a habit but it's worked :)

I completely understand what you mean about wanting the weight to go off as quickly as possible. I know that this journey is going to take me a long time - well over a year! But I also know that it took 23 years to get here in the first place, I'm not going to wake up tomorrow and be at target, so I may as well just get on with it. Whether I'm on SW or not, the next year is still going to pass as normal, so I may as well stick with the plan and see what happens. If this weight loss takes me 5 years, it will still come off and it will still come off quicker than it took to put on! So when you're having a slow day, or week, and are thinking of giving up, think of how much you've lost already and work out how much you could lose in another month, it really motivates you to keep going. You should read the things I post in my diary - I worked out when I should be a size 20 so that I can shop in Primark - things like that keep me going! :)

This post is getting quite long lol I don't want to clog up your diary! So I'll stop here. Just wanted to say basically you're not alone and if you need tips or anything we are all here to help :)

Really wish you the best of luck! You are doing amazingly! Keep posting on here! :) xxxxxx

Back