Roast Chicken stopping weight loss

loosemyageinweight said:
For those of you that have slow cookers - put a whole chicken in, no water needed, just season and leave for 5 or 6 hours depending on weight and you will have delicious, moist meat at the end where the skin just falls off. :D

I do that - so, so juicy - and 'cos it's not roasted, the skins all soggy which removes the temptation

loosemyageinweight said:
For those of you that have slow cookers - put a whole chicken in, no water needed, just season and leave for 5 or 6 hours depending on weight and you will have delicious, moist meat at the end where the skin just falls off. :D

I've never tried that but what a great simple idea! Do u have the cooker set on high or low?

A lot of foods are injected with oil BEFORE reaching the supermarket/ restaurant. Lots of places inject baked
Potatoes with oil then freeze before shipping so they just need to be heated in kitchen rather than cooked.

aesir22 said:
A lot of foods are injected with oil BEFORE reaching the supermarket/ restaurant. Lots of places inject baked
Potatoes with oil then freeze before shipping so they just need to be heated in kitchen rather than cooked.

i think your gonna be opening a huge can of worms with that haha :D xx

Whether they do or they don't, there are definitely SW consultants out there who have been instructed that certain items are being treated this way and are relaying this information to their group members, and because it is coming from them, the people we trust to deliver the plan accurately to us, we will always see questions about these sorts of thing.

However, the best advice is where possible, cook these things yourself, because you have control over what goes into the raw materials, and if that isn't possible, check the syn values but bear in mind that with anything that you don't have control over the cooking of, there may be hidden syns because when someone else is in charge of preparing it, they won't have the same consideration for the amounts of oil etc used as you do.

Same thing they do with the bakery items...

You know the ''freshly baked in store"?

Freshly warmed up in store, they mean. They are received frozen.

As Madam says, to stop all conflict, it's best to cook from scratch

aesir22 said:

I hope you are prepared for A starlight shaped a'sekicking for mentioning the jacket potato myth!

Agree with you MLM, cooking from scratch is best, but if i'm out for food i'm not going to panic about the chicken being injected with fat, or the jackets being sprayed with oil. Life is TOO short, plus the establishments in question have categorically denyed they do it! Good enough for me :)

Not a myth. I've spoken to restaurants who say that yes they do have oils added for the freezibg process, and another restaurant that deep fries their jackets! My consultant has spoken to places that do this too. Not all by any means, but do check if in doubt!

Theres one hell of a difference between having oils added and injecting with fat though.

And which restaurant does your consultant claim deep fries jacket potatoes?

Last edited:
Whether they do or they don't, there are definitely SW consultants out there who have been instructed that certain items are being treated this way and are relaying this information to their group members, and because it is coming from them, the people we trust to deliver the plan accurately to us, we will always see questions about these sorts of thing.

Its a disgrace that consultants are giving out totally wrong information like this though.

I will try this next week instead of buying a rotisserie chicken.

Thanks for all your comments and it was great reading such a great discussion lol

I don't think potatoes are deep fried although I had a JP at a Hungry Horse pub that was greasy to see and to the touch, I think it was perhaps sprayed with oil because it had been around a while!

i was going to ask what the jacket potato myth was when i saw it mentioned and then i read to the next page :D

we have the odd rotisserie chicken and i just remove the skin and pat off the grease and it's never bothered my losses. mmm chicken. i'm seriously considering a slow cooker though. are they fab? what can you make in them?

abz xx

We'll soon see if hinders weightloss at my wi Tue am

Had 2 of the Tesco chickens this week - normally cook myself, but some weeks are so crazy busy you do what you have to do (that and they were reduced to £2 each Monday night)
I removed the skin and enjoyed them (in salad, in curry, with mushrooms etc for creamy chicken).
Am absolutely convinced its done me no harm. in fact the wks when had more of the ready cooked chicken (i like the sainsbury's pieces with skin removed) i've had better weight losses.

We'll never know if we should or shouldn't (my C says its ok to do so!) so each to their own!!!

Jodieboo said:
Same thing they do with the bakery items...

You know the ''freshly baked in store"?

Freshly warmed up in store, they mean. They are received frozen.

As Madam says, to stop all conflict, it's best to cook from scratch

Most things are baked fresh instore from proper ingredients (water, yeast, flour etc). The few that aren't are things like baguettes, potato scones and croissants, which are baked from frozen. Worked in Asda bakery to pay my way through my first degree (so 4 years!). Those bakers are in by 5am baking properly!
Chickens were just basted with whatever marinades. Fresh chickens. Box only said that water had been injected to tenderise the meats.

Where on earth do all these myths come from?

Most things are baked fresh instore from proper ingredients (water, yeast, flour etc). The few that aren't are things like baguettes, potato scones and croissants, which are baked from frozen. Worked in Asda bakery to pay my way through my first degree (so 4 years!). Those bakers are in by 5am baking properly!
Chickens were just basted with whatever marinades. Fresh chickens. Box only said that water had been injected to tenderise the meats.

When I worked at Sainsburys, every bakery item was received frozen

Miss D said:

Jodieboo said:
When I worked at Sainsburys, every bakery item was received frozen

And the moral of the story.........

Asda's fresh baked is genuinely fresh baked - sainsburys is a con :p

Back