Roasted BNS - par boil?? tips??

pesty

Fighting the bulge
Hi,

I tried BNS last week as my 'try something new' i didnt really enjoy it tbh. I have had a new tip today to try roasting it with the skin on.

Do i par boil it first? Has anyone got any tips of what to do with it? Seasoning, etc?

xx

I have never done it in the skin. I just cube it up, spray it with spray oil, sprinkle with paprika and a bit of salt and roast in the oven. Delicious.

I don't like it boiled though.

You can cut them in half, and stuff them and roast in the oven. Not done this yet though.

To do it quickly. I place it in an oven proof dish. Zing it in the microwave for about 5 mins. then sprinkle it with the paprika, salt and frylight and roast in the oven. Cuts the cooking time down to about 30 mins on 200c or 400f ;). Otherwise it can take 50 minutes plus, depending on how well you oven cooks.

I hope you got on with it - I notice I am too late for tea tonight, but for another time, I like it done two ways -
firstly, skin on, cut into 'roast potato' size chunks, frilighted and into the oven / 200deg / 30 - 45 mins. Secondly as a soup - peel and chunk, place in a pan with a stock cube, water, chopped onion and maybe a chopped chilli (or some ground cumin is nice if you don't like spice), when it's soft (25mins) I blitz it into a lovely, creamy, smooth soup.

I too prefer it to have some bite but I have roasted it in the slow cooker. You just cut it in half and take out the seeds then bung it in for around 8 hours on low. It comes out the consistency of mash and I added it to a risotto.

Back