Rude people at SW!

emmababes

I had my first week last week and as I got on the scales I heard a lot of people saying I shouldn't be there. I thought this was so rude especially that they said it loud enough I could hear! I know I'm not fat or overweight - I was 9 stone 10, but I have body image issues and don't feel confident and never have done since I had an operation and piled on the pounds!

I just feel a little upset that people don't put themselves in other peoples shoes.

What do you guys think?

I would have thought it, but not said it out loud! I don't think they were being rude as such, probably very jealous!

I had my first week last week and as I got on the scales I heard a lot of people saying I shouldn't be there. I thought this was so rude especially that they said it loud enough I could hear! I know I'm not fat or overweight - I was 9 stone 10, but I have body image issues and don't feel confident and never have done since I had an operation and piled on the pounds!

I just feel a little upset that people don't put themselves in other peoples shoes.

What do you guys think?

If i'm honest I would've wondered to myself why a slim person would need to join SW, but it's your choice and I wouldn't judge you on it. It's like LardyLady says, they are probably jealous of your starting weight.

I have just moved to a new group where there are lots of people who are slim and look fab! I don't think they shouldn't be there, but I just wonder why they aren't happy with how the look. I wanted to tell a few of them they look amazing and don't need to lose anything more, to just focus on learning to be happy in your own skin :)

I understand what you are all saying but I guess it's just a personal thing for some people! Maybe it's just knowing how I used to look and not looking like that anymore, who knows!

But I'm enjoying the lifestyle change :)

I understand what you are all saying but I guess it's just a personal thing for some people! Maybe it's just knowing how I used to look and not looking like that anymore, who knows!

But I'm enjoying the lifestyle change :)

At the end of the day hun, it's your personal choice to want to lose a stone or two. It's no one elses business but your own. You need to do what makes you happy.

Besides, i've never thought of SW as just a place for losing weight. I do it also because i'm learning a new way to eat, make sensible choices and eating healthier.

Yeah I agree and thats why I choose SW instead of anything else because I knew how easy it would be to do and to continue :)

I'm glad people see my side rather than judging!

Yeah I agree and thats why I choose SW instead of anything else because I knew how easy it would be to do and to continue :)

I'm glad people see my side rather than judging!

:)

I see you'd like to get to 8 stone. You might decide once you've lost another 7lbs, that that's enough for you and stop at 8 and a half :) As long as you're within a healthy BMI and everything's right for your height, then you're good :)

My grandma went to slimming world and when she started she was 9st10 and just wanted to lose half a stone! because she wanted to fit into her old clothes again! she went on a 3 week holiday to st lucia and when she came back could only fit into 1 pair of trousers! ignore what people say! im sure if they where in your shoes and didn't feel confident they would be the same. I mean if you ask anyone what would you rather do trim down a tad and be body confident or as you said "have body image issues and don't feel confident and never have done since I had an operation and piled on the pounds! "

i will also hold my hands up and say i would be jealous if i saw you in my group! but then think one day i will be like that =]

I think we all decided at different 'stages' of weight gain when to take action. You've decided now because the time is right for you, I do think those at class were rude & they should judge without knowing anything about you or your circumstances.

When I was a few lbs off my target weight I had a few people at class very nicely ask if I wasn't at target yet & wonder why I didn't set target. It is a personal thing & I'm happy with my weight & how I look now, I certainly feel much happier.

Maybe if they say something next week confront them & ask they why they think what they do?

I think we all decided at different 'stages' of weight gain when to take action. You've decided now because the time is right for you, I do think those at class were rude & they should judge without knowing anything about you or your circumstances.

When I was a few lbs off my target weight I had a few people at class very nicely ask if I wasn't at target yet & wonder why I didn't set target. It is a personal thing & I'm happy with my weight & how I look now, I certainly feel much happier.

Maybe if they say something next week confront them & ask they why they think what they do?

Well said - I have always thought that weight issues are relative - if you need to lose 5 stone or half a stone you are there because you feel you need to get rid of it.

I used to wonder why some poeple went but once I got to know them I discovered that if they didn't go then they would be a lot bigger x

I agree with all the other posters - they must be jealous! At the end of the day they are not you and dont know how you feel about your body! If you want to lose a few lbs to feel more comfortable then do it, once its safe to do so. Just go to class and ignore them. Cant believe they said it so you could hear! Ive had people tell me 'oh you've lost to much weight, don't lose anymore' despite having 12lbs to go to target. I just ignore them because I dont feel im at the right weight yet x

There was 3 new people in my group last week who were all very slim. I did think to myself 'I wonder why they're here' but I would never say anything out loud about it. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Maybe next week, when your consultant talks to you about your week, you could explain why you're there so people ave an understanding?

I'm sure it wasn't meant in a nasty way but it's a shame all the same.

Do you realise that 8 stone for your height is classed as underweight?

I joined sw at 9st and felt same. Like consultant couldn't even be bothered either at times. How do these folk know you didn't start off few stones heavier? Also the consultant was tiny so would that mean she didn't have place there either? Doesn't make sense. Do what's right for you x

Hi! It was my first week at Slimming World last week too, and this is my first post on this site. I think that the people who were saying it were probably trying to compliment you! I know to you it didn't come across that way but I'm sure that was the case as they were saying it loud enough for you to hear. Nobody would be intentionally malicious at a slimming group, I'm sure, as everyone there has insecurities and are vulnerable to personal comments.

Chin up, and you keep it up until you feel happier :)

There is a girl at my new SW class who has the most beautiful figure. If im honest when i first saw her i did wonder why on earth she was there, but apparently she was just a few lb's above where she wanted to be and she wanted to nip her weight gain in the bud before she became over weight. I had never thought of it like that. I was very impressed by her self discipline. Dont worry what people think. You are doing this for you and that's what's important!

Kate x

This thread has actually really changed my mind. If I had addressed my weight when I had just gained a bit, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Well done for being proactive early on xx

To be honest there's not many 'big' people at my group lol most of them are on the slimmer side. Maybe some are a stone or 2 overweight. There's not really many that stay to group (a lot just get weighed and go so I don't know half of them) and I've only seen a few people that are big like me. A good few people joined after easter weekend and there was one girl I remember she looked very slim and pretty I did wonder what she was doing there but like everyone else said, we all have a weight that is right for us and our bodies.

9 stone 10 on say a 5 foot person would be extra weight and probably be more comfortable at 8 stone so I can understand how they would feel overweight. One of my cousins is 5 foot 5 and 8 and half stone so I know if she was 9 and half stone she would feel too heavy.

I think for someone who has been under 9 stone all their life like you probably have then that extra 10 pounds would feel like a lot. And slimmer people tend to take longer to lose 10 pounds!! 10 pounds to you would probably feel like 2 or 3 stone to me eh? Lol

Ignore the rude people, its nothing to do with them as long as you're paying your money, learning from the plan what's the difference to them?

Back