Rude people at SW!

Hi,
Going to be honest & say that i would have THOUGHT the same although i wouldnt be so rude as to loudley TALK ABOUT YOU.
But its a personal thing, if you dont feel comfortable in yourself then i dont blame you for wanting to loose weight. Lets face it we are all there because we dont feel comfortable with our bodies, whether we have 1st or 7st to loose.
Goodluck hun x

I remember someone saying to me not long after I had joined that they were amazed I was getting such but weigh losses as I didnt look like I had much to loose. I actually had 3.5 stone to loose which was a lot to me.
I was really worried about joining SW, Ive wanted to do it for ages but at a size 14 I didnt feel I was big enough, I genuinly thought everyone there would be very big so when I was nearly out of my size 16's I decided enough was enough and at first I felt I had made the right choice but that man really did make me feel like I shouldnt have been there.
I think In a group where everyone is going to be sensitive about weight its probably best never to mention it to people.

I really appreciate all the different opinions! I understand now why people would think they but we are all in the same boat at the end of the day and I would have like to have felt more welcomed into the group! Looking forward to weigh day though :D

Love this forum!

I was a similar weight to the OP at 5ft 4 when I first joined SW. The fact is my eating was all over the place and I had started gaining weight. I had tried to lose the extra few pounds myself but would end up binging on random foods and didn't really feel I was controlling what I was eating. What I needed was a structured way of eating that would help me lose a bit without depriving myself. I set my target at 8 and a half stone but when I eventually got there I was a size 8-10 but actually looked a bit gaunt in the face so I do think its a case of see how it goes with targets. Now I still follow the plan but exercise too to tone up as for me personally I would rather weigh a bit heavier and be toned than a lower weight but a it wobbly with it, but we're all different.

I could never understand why I would see all these skinny people in the gym, now I realise that's how they stay slim! Whenever people ask me why I follow slimming world when I'm a size 10-12ish I say that's how I stay this size.

I joined a group 3 weeks back. Throughout the whole session nobody spoke to me even though I tried smiling at people and joining in general conversations. I put it down to mayb people thinking I don't need to be there as I'm not hugely overweight. I'm 5 3 and a size 12. ( I need to lose around 2 stone)

Last week though, I went and found everyone to be really friendly and chatty. Hopefully when you go this week people won't be so judgemental :)

welshshopoholic said:
I joined a group 3 weeks back. Throughout the whole session nobody spoke to me even though I tried smiling at people and joining in general conversations. I put it down to mayb people thinking I don't need to be there as I'm not hugely overweight. I'm 5 3 and a size 12. ( I need to lose around 2 stone)

Last week though, I went and found everyone to be really friendly and chatty. Hopefully when you go this week people won't be so judgemental :)

I'm glad that people started speaking to you, but it's still really bad that you weren't made to feel welcome at your first group! The social team are really supposed to do that if the consultant is tied up. In fact at our group we have a person who's sole job is to welcome new members.

If you continue to get these remarks, speak to the consultant. Explain that the remarks are upsetting you and that you feel that you can't go the class any more because of them. If the consultant wants to keep you as a customer, he or she will find a way to deal with it!

I'm on the social team in my local group and in charge of the dreaded WI lol. A couple of weeks ago I had a girl who had just joined step on the scales and honestly there was nothing of her, she was so slim...
She was obviously quite embarrassed because she felt she had to assure me she didn't want to lose weight, rather she wanted to maintain and enjoy her food again, rather than starve herself to stay slim.

Sometimes it's not about losing weight, but keeping it off and being happy.

I would have had a word with the Consultant and told her you felt quite offended at the attitude of these people. And yeah, as others have said I too would be green with envy at your starting weight lol

I'm glad that people started speaking to you, but it's still really bad that you weren't made to feel welcome at your first group! The social team are really supposed to do that if the consultant is tied up. In fact at our group we have a person who's sole job is to welcome new members.

I am a member of the social team, and have taken it upon myself when we are about to start I T that I note who has been sitting at the new member table and then go and sit with them. A friendly hello and smile goes such a long way. That is a nice idea in your group, I wouldnt mind doing that role myself! Love meeting new people

I'm on the social team in my local group and in charge of the dreaded WI lol. A couple of weeks ago I had a girl who had just joined step on the scales and honestly there was nothing of her, she was so slim...
She was obviously quite embarrassed because she felt she had to assure me she didn't want to lose weight, rather she wanted to maintain and enjoy her food again, rather than starve herself to stay slim.

Sometimes it's not about losing weight, but keeping it off and being happy.

I would have had a word with the Consultant and told her you felt quite offended at the attitude of these people. And yeah, as others have said I too would be green with envy at your starting weight lol

She must have a minimum of 7lb to lose though or else SW wouldn't have let her join.....

Our consultant always says when a new member starts with a half stone target that most of us wish that we'd come when we only needed to loose half a stone and not two or three or more. To say someone with a half stone to lose shouldn't be at class is just jealousy. Ignore them x

Our consultant always says when a new member starts with a half stone target that most of us wish that we'd come when we only needed to loose half a stone and not two or three or more. To say someone with a half stone to lose shouldn't be at class is just jealousy. Ignore them x

It's all about perception isn't it? I am told that I don't need to lose weight by a couple at my group. I have a stone to get back to target. They say they'd love to be as "slim" as me - yes, they may, but I still need to lose a stone. It doesn't annoy me, I feel flattered that they think I look good.

I don't think it is jealousy of the OP, I think it is just small mindedness and also a bit of a lack of tact.

I also think that whilst what your consultant says is quite right, I also think she wouldn't make much money if all her members only had half a stone to lose ;)

Funny that cause she always says she'll never be rich from SW and she's been a consultant 19 years. To her credit she does have loads of target members so she's got to be doing something right ?

Yep, she'll not make any money from them either!!!!

She must be motivating, but I also think it's 10% consultant 90% individual effort when it comes down to success!

I think that's probably a very good assessment. They can put the tools in your hands but you've gotta do it yourself. Totally agree

I think that's probably a very good assessment. They can put the tools in your hands but you've gotta do it yourself. Totally agree

This is brilliant! I shall remember that when people blame consultants for the lack of weight loss!!!

My sister says things like 'I don't understand why she's here'
One very slim girl lost 7lbs in a week and my sis was saying 'how come someone like her loses 7lb' it's not jealousy or nastiness she just speaks what's on her mind!!!

Sometimes I look at people and think 'why?' the last time it was a very slim waisted lady with a flat tum, then she turned so her back was fully to me and I could see she had saddlebag hips, ( not criticising her I have bloody pannier hips myself), so I could see why she wanted to lose weight.

I am part of the social team at my group & I try my hardest to make people feel welcome. I honestly think we have one of the best teams around. The consultant will usually place her new members with an existing member at image therapy.

I became a mentor to one lady who very large (similar to me at the start), I sat with her at Image Therapy & really tried to encourage her, gave her my e-mail address & phone number from the off to support her.

It was embarrassing though when I was training one of the girls to do pay, a mum & daughter came in. Mum was lovely & slim & at target, the girl who was training made a comment about how envious she didn't need to be there (before she knew she was a target member). The thing is her daughter was quite chubby & also a target member. I advised this girl never to comment again.

I get comments now about my skinny legs from people who know I have lost the weight. Also new members often comment & say "oh, you haven't got much/any to lose" so I love to tell them about my weight loss so far. I look like a relatively normal size person now from being morbidly obese.

Last week 3 "smaller" girls joined our class. None were over a size 10..I was thinking "they shouldn't be here", "they look amazing already", etc. but at the end of the day its not what I think that matters, its what they think and they obviously weren't happy with either their weight or how they were eating (SW is a lifestyle change rather than diet IMO!) so let them join, I say!! :)

It is definately a way of life not a diet! How can enjoying all the normal food and so much of it on S W be called a diet? I look upon it as healthy eating for life in a structured way. Having been at target now for 9 months it is sustainable, not like quick fixes like shakes etc!Or surgery where you have a band fitted and have to severely reduce what you eat. S W is definately the way to go, oh yes :)

Back