Runners

Snozzberry

Does there ever come a point when you don't ache like mad? Granted today was my best effort yet but I feel like I've broken myself tonight lol.

I should also probably actually start filling out those body magic forms now I guess (I don't really understand them!)

Yes, I've been running since July and now only ache when I run further or faster! I reckon I had aches and pains for about 3 months and then it improved.

As your fitness and distance improve the aches in your legs do go. Just make sure you cool down properly and stretch after a run. This will really help with muscle ache.

I still find the first 5 mins of any run the toughest. I put it down to lactic acid build up. But it passes and then the run is enjoyable.

I found the couch to 5k app brilliant.

Make sure you're not doing too much, too soon or you'll run the risk of injury.

As Siobh said, the C25K programme via app/podcasts is a fantastic way of getting into running at a sensible rate. It builds up your fitness and stamina and teaches you how to get used to running.

I started using this and I'm running my first half marathon in 6 weeks :)

Good for you! Running really is the best and cheapest way to get active! Keep it up! xx

I suspect I have found a reason for the extreme aches, and it's not to do with the running!

I've been getting shooting pains from my right hip right down to my knee, along with discomfort that long ago was diagnosed as muscle inflammation that I get every so often. It never hurts when I run, but I do feel it more acutely when accompanied by "normal" exercise achiness, it's more when I'm sitting for long periods or lying in bed. This bout has been going on since Christmas.

At the weekend I remembered once reading that artificial sweeteners can cause muscle pain and since I joined SW I've been having loads of them in Mullers, hot chocs, etc. I cut them out totally as of yesterday morning and already the shooting pains have stopped. I went for a run this morning and I've just got the sort of achy muscles you'd expect beginning to creep in, but nothing that will make me creak or wince when I've been sitting for a while like I have been lately. Could be coincidence, but I'm going to continue to give sweeteners a wide berth for a while to see if it continues to improve.

And according to my app, this morning's run was my best yet, for distance and speed, and I only needed two brief walking breaks, so I'm feeling pleased with myself :)

I ache today but I did two 5k runs at the weekend (my first 5k's since training) and stupidly I didn't stretch after them.

Back