Running- Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by Sammy84, 24 September 2009 Social URL.

1. Sammy84

Sammy84 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st5lb(18.73%)
    Diet:
    Eating Sensibly and Exercise
    hey everyone
    So i am trying to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise and 2 nights ago i went out for my first run in about 6 years lol :eek:

So i warmed up properly and power walked for a good ten mins and then jogged a leg, then walked, then jogged etc and everything went OK- It felt heavy on my legs but not too bad, but yesterday and today my SHINS hurt- is this normal?

I expected my calves to hurt etc but not my shins:confused:
    Have i done something wrong here you think???

Was going to go for another run tonight but not sure if i will hurt myself or something!!!

Thanks Guys x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Justin

Justin Banned

Its a common condition usually in field athletes. The bones of your shin are not used to the repetative impact you are putting on them with running.

I wouldn't go for another run until the pain has dissipated. When you do go back to running, only go for 50% of the time you went for the other night. If you feel ok after that, build up the time very slowly.

In the meantime you should start a resistance based program as this will strengthen the bones of your legs.

4. Sammy84

Sammy84 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st5lb(18.73%)
    Diet:
    Eating Sensibly and Exercise
    Thanks Justin :)
    I admit i havent been running in a long time but i have been cycling and swimming for months so i didnt think it would hurt me so much!!

I will do what you said and see if it improves! Thanks
    Sammy x

5. amm451

amm451 Do Over

Start Weight:
    16st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(14.77%)
    Diet:
    CD
    I find that my shins also hurt when I wear old running shoes.... Good luck!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.