Running- Is this normal???

Sammy84

hey everyone
So i am trying to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise and 2 nights ago i went out for my first run in about 6 years lol :eek:

So i warmed up properly and power walked for a good ten mins and then jogged a leg, then walked, then jogged etc and everything went OK- It felt heavy on my legs but not too bad, but yesterday and today my SHINS hurt- is this normal?

I expected my calves to hurt etc but not my shins:confused:
Have i done something wrong here you think???

Was going to go for another run tonight but not sure if i will hurt myself or something!!!

Thanks Guys x

Its a common condition usually in field athletes. The bones of your shin are not used to the repetative impact you are putting on them with running.

I wouldn't go for another run until the pain has dissipated. When you do go back to running, only go for 50% of the time you went for the other night. If you feel ok after that, build up the time very slowly.

In the meantime you should start a resistance based program as this will strengthen the bones of your legs.

Thanks Justin :)
I admit i havent been running in a long time but i have been cycling and swimming for months so i didnt think it would hurt me so much!!

I will do what you said and see if it improves! Thanks
Sammy x

I find that my shins also hurt when I wear old running shoes.... Good luck!

Back