Running

Nicki - I think it depends on your level of fitness to begin with - when I first started running a few years back I followed a Race for Life programme, which started with 1 min walk and 1 min run about 8-10 times... it took me nearly 2 weeks to complete Day 1!

As long as you can do a brisk walk for about 20 minutes, I would think you would be OK to start adding bits of jogging.

The thing I find with any progressive plan is you look at the schedule for a couple of weeks ahead and think "I'm never going to be able to do that", but you can when you get there.

I was over 260lb when I started the C25K this time, but I did a few weeks of extra walking and static biking first, to get my general fitness levels up a bit.

And (so far) I have had no-one throwing abuse at me!

The darker nights are drawing in now so you have to think of your safety. Pity we don't all live near each other, we could have a little group run. Being a bloke is ok but without sounding patronising you also need to factor your safety into a run. If you lead a very busy life like we all do obviously, you can have even less time to go out for a walk or run. Did anyone see Have i got news for you, Janet street porter said 9miles walking a week keeps alzheimer's at bay. Going to do some walking today. Have a realy nice day every one. :D

Did the Birmingham Half Marathon today, in 2:15. Very pleased, 7mins off my last half marathon time, and this time I didn't stop to walk once!

Yes, but any one can do it, it is completely mind over matter.

What makes this race even more special was in the summer last year (2009) some of my friends played with the idea of doing the Birmingham Half... and I said that I could never run a half marathon. The 2009 marathon came and went and I was in awe of those who ran it, but I could never run it. This year I ran it, and I was the only one of my friends to actually come through and do it.

:DHi great mates, (sorry bout that) any way hi, just got back from a run, feeling great right now all showered and happy. I heard about a podcast from itunes called PODRUNNER INTERVALS. I downloaded it and it is brilliant. It is FREE it plays music, mainly drum and bass but it makes a sound which tells you it's time to change your run from what you care to do. Walk in my case or speed up or whatever.... I found it helps i really enjoyed it. Try it! :D

Bad luck Nigel - make sure you get mended before running again as you don't want to make things worse.

I'm over hafl way through my 9 week C25K plan - the running sections are starting to get longer now, and I'm still managing to keep up, so I am very happy with my progress.

Hey well done and thanks for the kind words. I shall take it easy on the running for now, I have just come back from yoga, so I hope it will help with the tendon. I had a very brisk walk earlier today and oh boy did I get a pain from hell coming through my leg. Oh well onwards and upwards. Next im worried that I have plataued I can't seem to shift any pounds at all this week and my loss was 1/2 pound only last week. But I still feel ok about things ive got to keep in mind that it's not a race.:D

Exactly - if brisk walking is causing you a problem then you should take it easy and give yourself time to heal - it will be worth it in the long run (excuse the pun). You don't want to make things worse and end up being unable to exercise for twice as long.

I am back from Week 6 Day 2 - the last session with a walking break -2 x 10 minutes of running with 3 minutes walking between. From here on in it's solid running with no breaks, gradually increasing to 30 minutes.

I feel really pleased with today's run, as I was able to jog along for my 10 minutes without gasping for breath. That's not to say I wasn't pleased when I got to the end mind you!

Nigel, you really do need to rest your ankle. Did you go to doctor? Any meds?

I have started week 6 of my Run/Walk programme and it feel great to increase the run to 2 minute per interval. When I started the programme I never thought I would be able to run 2 minutes in one go, as I was DYING after running 1 minute!!

Take care, TB

That's the thing Trixie - you look at the schedule for a few weeks ahead and think you'll NEVER be able to do it...

This week I did my first full run, with no breaks - 25 minutes of solid plodding. That gradually increases now until I get to 30 minutes, although I think I'll need to get a tad faster if I'm going to do the full 5k in that time.

How's your achilles Nigel? Have you been resting it?

Hi, that's very nice of you to ask.
I have been resting it but also gently stretching because i have been advised to keep it extended by gentle stretching. I have also been told that i can cycle as much as i like but to get off and walk if it starts to hurt. I will be able to walk once it's fixed but it may take a longer time to begin running again. I started yoga last Monday i really enjoyed it, i hope it helps.
Nigel:D

It's all very quiet on the running thread!

How are we all doing?

I've managed 3 runs now with no walking breaks, 25 mins running. It increases to 28 next time. No idea about distance though, but when I get nearer to the end of my 9 week plan I will start measuring so I know when I hit the 3 mile milestone.

I am super happy with my progress. Good on you for the straight running without walking intervals. I am starting week 8 tomorrow, three minutes running with two minutes walking in between. Total time 35 minutes. Feeling really strong and feel I could run longer, but I am afraid I will push too far and will cause injury. Must go and look up exactly what i am meant to do tomorrow!!

Take care, happy running TB.

Hi everyone, i have been with sw for 2 months now and having slow losses so i think its about tipme i start some exercise. For the first 3 weeks of sw i was using my exercise bike but i find it boring and also my 2 daughters who are 2 years old and 10 months old always do something or another which means i have to stop half way through my exercise. So i'm thinking of starting jogging without the children. How long does everyone go out for a jog or run?

Safia, I have kids too and I do have to work around them too. When I started I would get up early, before they were awake, and go out (my husband is home...they were not abandoned). At that time the run/walk programme was only 16 minutes. Once the amount of time started increasing I found I couldn't do it as it was nearly 8am before it was bright and I would not have time to get in a run/walk, shower and get kids ready for school etc.
My winter solution to my problem is....running inside when they are sleeping!! Depending on the layout of your house of course. I have a circuit set up going from sitting room to hall to kitchen and back to sitting room!
I am truly loving running, and as I am following the Slimming World Run/Walk Programme, I am able to progress at a fairly easy pace, and feel really good having accomplished 8 weeks of it!!

Good luck. TB

HI Nigel, i almost tore my achillies last year. Because i didnt rest it properly it took longer to heel, so make sure you rest it properly and after walks etc.

I started running back in July, when i couldnt run for 30 secs, at the weekend i ran 9km in preparation for a 10km race i am doing in December. I would recommend taking up running to anyone.

Hi Trixie my husband starts work at 6 in the morning so would have to wait for him to come back before i venture out. The house is too small for running around and i would probably fall over something! I'm going to shop for some running trainers 2moro and start and on those days when i cant venture out then i will exercise on the bike or jog on the spot x

Back