Running

purpleflower

Used to run on the treadmill mill and loved it when I was at my peak. I left the gym as felt it was pointless having a gym membership and just using the treadmill and unfortunately let my running go as I found outside running so much harder in general and the weather was troublesome
Anyway I have been on a health kick since January and have lost my weight and now I want to get back to the fit me !!

Anyway my plan is the get running again and have got a great app on my phone (from beginner to 5k or something like that ) it tells me when to run/walk and logs everything so I don't have to be counting my timings. I have done the very first week which made me feel quite pathetic and feeble considering what I used to be able to do.

Anyway looking for any exercise forum buddies really is there anyone else just starting to push their exercise ? Or any tips from current runners etc??

Cheers purple

Sent from my iPad

Hi there,
I go to the gym and do body combat and pump but got a personal training session today and I'm gonna use it to start me running on the treadmill as I have heard its best for losing body fat and then get some free weights in.

I have the couch to 5k app and have started it before but out on the paths but gave up because I felt so self conscious running outside!

Did you have success doing the app on a treadmill? What speed should I run at?

I will buddy up with you if you want?

Used to run on the treadmill mill and loved it when I was at my peak. I left the gym as felt it was pointless having a gym membership and just using the treadmill and unfortunately let my running go as I found outside running so much harder in general and the weather was troublesome
Anyway I have been on a health kick since January and have lost my weight and now I want to get back to the fit me !!

Anyway my plan is the get running again and have got a great app on my phone (from beginner to 5k or something like that ) it tells me when to run/walk and logs everything so I don't have to be counting my timings. I have done the very first week which made me feel quite pathetic and feeble considering what I used to be able to do.

Anyway looking for any exercise forum buddies really is there anyone else just starting to push their exercise ? Or any tips from current runners etc??

Cheers purple

Sent from my iPad

Hi there, there is a 'couch to 5k' thread in this section which is regulary contributed to, you should find support and hints and tips on there, have you considered the couch to 5 k NHS plan, there is a podcast that you can download to an iphone or ipod ( you may be able to download to other smartphones I'm not sure) and it is a structured training plan, the narrator 'Laura' tells you when to walk when to run etc and motivates you and gives you tips which is so helpful.

I started the plan 6 weeks ago and although I am on a diet and do lots of exercise found week 1 (60 sec runs) so difficult as I thought that I was relatively fit (obviously not !!) I am now running 2 x 8 mins out of a 30 min programme without too much trouble, I would say whatever plan you go for stick to it, if it says have a rest day then have one. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi Purpleflower - just taken a look at your stats and we are the same height, started on the same day and weighed roughly the same ( I started at 14 stone 1) yet you have lost twice the amount of weight as me !!!!! well nearly 2 and a half stone more, well done, I just could not follow a very cal diet, my friend is on Cambridge and has lost 6 stone in 4 months so I know how effective it is.

Well done on starting C25k!
I got into a habit of only running on a treadmill, so made it very difficult to then run outside. I found running wearing a scarf over your mouth made the transition from treadmill to outside much easier. Now I love running outside and hate going on the treadmill.
When you are further through C25K, it might be worth looking for a 5k race to do. I found nothing motivates you to train more than the thought of an upcoming race.
Good luck :)

Do any of you get shin splints and if so how do you avoid them. I stretch but I still get them and that's why I avoid running :(.

im a bit of a newbie to running, to keep myself morivated i have signed up for a few runs! i dont particualry like running, so choosing a charity that means the world to me for these runs is making me push further on!

what do shin splints feel like? x

I do couch to 5k on the treadmill at my gym! I gym it about 5 times a week at the minute! would love to buddy up! x

Back