Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.
  1. Musical Missy

Musical Missy Full Member

Has anyone got any advice for me about starting running? I've never run in my life (ran for a train once but I don't think that counts) and its something I've always wanted to do (no idea why - its just always appealed) and now seems a good a time as any!
    I'm really not amazingly fit - I go swimming 3 times a week and am about 100 more times fitter than I was a few months ago but there's still a long way to go. Also running is free - unlike swimming and I need all the money I can lay my hands on for buying new clothes :)
    Any tips on where to start? (not literally - you lot probably don't know the area where I live!)

Thanks in advance

MM x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. yo-yo-dieter

yo-yo-dieter Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7.4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9.1lb(4.02%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm hoping to start running too mainly to increase my stamina, as it's non-existant at the moment and I give up too easily!

Someone has recommended this schedule as a good starting point for beginners:

Get-Started Schedules - Runner's World Beginners

• Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
    • Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
    • Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
    • Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
    • Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    • Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
    • Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
    • Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.

4. Musical Missy

Musical Missy Full Member

Thanks YoYo - that looks like a good plan to follow - can't even imagine running non-stop for 30 minutes without dying! Would think I might struggle towards the end of the 8 weeks though with lack of carbs (on CD) but could deal with that when the time comes.
    Just need to decide where to run now. I live in a pretty rough area on my own so obviously some thought needs to go into it!

MM x

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Biggest tip would be to make sure you get the correct footwear and remember that running on hard ground is very high impact and you can do a lot of damage to your feet. Anywhere you can run on softer ground to reduce the impact?

Oh, and keep yourself well-hydrated. Better still buy a running machine and use at home - you won't get caught out in the rain and snow than. LOL

6. yo-yo-dieter

Start Weight:
    16st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7.4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9.1lb(4.02%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I did the first step of the programme last night on the treadmill, it amounts to only 20 minutes and didn't require that much effort and I felt okay! Maybe I am fitter than I thought LOL - I'll follow it to the letter though - maybe I will be able to run a mile by the time of Sports Relief!

7. htpink

htpink CDC

8. yo-yo-dieter

Start Weight:
    16st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7.4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9.1lb(4.02%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Wow, it got really good reviews on Amazon, sadly my library dont' stock it

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.