Running

Musical Missy

Has anyone got any advice for me about starting running? I've never run in my life (ran for a train once but I don't think that counts) and its something I've always wanted to do (no idea why - its just always appealed) and now seems a good a time as any!
I'm really not amazingly fit - I go swimming 3 times a week and am about 100 more times fitter than I was a few months ago but there's still a long way to go. Also running is free - unlike swimming and I need all the money I can lay my hands on for buying new clothes :)
Any tips on where to start? (not literally - you lot probably don't know the area where I live!)

Thanks in advance

MM x

I'm hoping to start running too mainly to increase my stamina, as it's non-existant at the moment and I give up too easily!

Someone has recommended this schedule as a good starting point for beginners:

Get-Started Schedules - Runner's World Beginners

• Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
  • Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
  • Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.

Thanks YoYo - that looks like a good plan to follow - can't even imagine running non-stop for 30 minutes without dying! Would think I might struggle towards the end of the 8 weeks though with lack of carbs (on CD) but could deal with that when the time comes.
Just need to decide where to run now. I live in a pretty rough area on my own so obviously some thought needs to go into it!

MM x

Biggest tip would be to make sure you get the correct footwear and remember that running on hard ground is very high impact and you can do a lot of damage to your feet. Anywhere you can run on softer ground to reduce the impact?

Oh, and keep yourself well-hydrated. Better still buy a running machine and use at home - you won't get caught out in the rain and snow than. LOL

I did the first step of the programme last night on the treadmill, it amounts to only 20 minutes and didn't require that much effort and I felt okay! Maybe I am fitter than I thought LOL - I'll follow it to the letter though - maybe I will be able to run a mile by the time of Sports Relief!

Wow, it got really good reviews on Amazon, sadly my library dont' stock it

Back