S&S and hair loss..

laurenmay

Gold Member
I've read a few people mention they've had hair loss on VLCD's such as slim and save. Has anyone experienced dramatic hair loss while on slim & save? This worries me!

I had a bit of hair loss about 5 months in. It lasted for about 3 weeks, then stopped and hasn't returned, and wasn't noticeable other than I noticed that I was shedding more when I brushed my hair / had a shower etc. The health benefits of losing the weight have completely outweighed the small negative of losing a little hair to be honest, and it doesn't happen to everyone.

Mine has been growing like a weed!

Black tea rinse if you get any shedding.

It's no worse or different to any other vlcd in respect of hair loss!

I have quite a bit, but it just looks thinner, there aren't any bald patches or anything. Nobody else has noticed really apart from my hairdresser, who says my hair is in excellent condition, shiny and it's not breaking- it's just not growing! I have tolerated it as it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. But I nearly came off the diet because I was terrified of losing it all. I have a really good thickening spray which helps a lot, and will be refeeding soon so hopefully it will be thick again soon :)

I am experiencing the exact same. I really don't like it but having previously read things will go back to normal reassures me.

Me too. I use Tigi Bedhead Superstar Queen For A Day Thickening Spray (wow that's a long name!) and it's expensive but fantastic. Don't need too much- I spray it on wet hair, then blow dry my hair upside down and it looks huuuuuuuuge! :D

Me too. I use Tigi Bedhead Superstar Queen For A Day Thickening Spray (wow that's a long name!) and it's expensive but fantastic. Don't need too much- I spray it on wet hair, then blow dry my hair upside down and it looks huuuuuuuuge! :D

I need me some of this! I'll have to get some. Hate my hair at the moment, it's so flat and lifeless :(

Feeling your pain sista- I just try to pump it up with the magic spray, always dry hair upside down, don't straighten it and take lots of vitamins.

It usually happens around 3 months in and by then if it is going to happen it will do regardless of if you stop the diet or not, the damage (so to speak) is already done.
Nothing you can do (hair washes etc) will make any difference then, it will just come out. When i did Lipotrim I found it was coming out for probably a couple of months max and it was really starting to get me down. Luckily i had thick hair but you could still see where my scalp was getting a bit transparent. Now 10 months after stopping it is growing back and i have tufts about 2 or 3 inches long sticking up everywhere!
Biotin tablets or silica tablets could help and certainly do no harm but i think if it's going to happen it's going to happen and the key is not to worry as it does seem to shred evenly and while it leaves your hair thin in some places it doesn't give you bold spots. :)

I take a silica complez which is brill....

But for me... any hair loss is worth how much better i feel now!!
X

I was on S&S earlier this year for a couple of months. I lost about a stone and a half.

3 months later, now I have very bad hair loss, so bad I've had to cut off about 10 inches so its 'lighter' and I can't pull it back like when I was ponytailing. You can see my scalp, its very noticeable especially because I have black hair and a really white scalp. Its mainly on the top but my hairdresser kindly informed me I'm going bald and there are bald patches on the sides which I couldn't see in the mirror. Its been going on for 3 weeks and I've still got clumps of hair coming out every morning and night. I don't even need to brush it for this to happen, just put my fingers through my hair and in one stroke about 10 hairs will come out.

I've been to the doctors and been ordered a blood test to see whats going on. I've had blood tests for PCO, Iron deficiency, B12 deficiency, thyroid tests, some other stuff I can't think of right now. I'm going to get my results on Saturday. The cause may not be the diet of course but the 3 month delay seems to fit. Since It started dropping out I've started taking Floresine tablets (for hair loss) zinc, b complex supplements and started taking extra care with the nutrition in food I consume, focusing on protein, copper, selenium, iron, vitamin B12 + C which seems to be the main ingredients for good healthy hair. Of course its probably going to take another 3 months to come into effect so I'm just hoping the shedding will just stop for now.

Hair loss could also be down to extreme stress. I have been stressed recently having been demoted but its not that bad, I'm secretly 50% pleased with the demotion and the people I get to work with. However the shedding of the hair is extremely distressing and probably worsening the situation. I have been recommended to meditate...

I've written all this matter of factly but the truth is I'm absolutely devastated, my hair was once a source of pride but now I'm embarrassed to go out the house. I cry to myself every single night in the bath looking at my hair in the mirror. (It looks even thinner when its wet!) My weight has also crept up 6 pounds since I stopped.

I guess S&S and VLCDs don't work for some people without causing these kind of side effects. However I also want to state that I have 2 friends who have been on it for longer than me and still going strong who have BUSHY long thick hair. They have both been on it 6 months plus and I'm so jealous of them. So I guess it all comes down to genetic make up etc

Because the weightloss is so good in Ketosis I have considered just going back on and shaving my head completely however I don't think I'd get away with that as a PA in a massive global company in the head office.. lol

Hopefully when my hair grows back (and this isn't the beginning of alopecia) I will be doing a normal sensible eating and exercise diet. xxx

chi said:
I was on S&S earlier this year for a couple of months. I lost about a stone and a half.

3 months later, now I have very bad hair loss, so bad I've had to cut off about 10 inches so its 'lighter' and I can't pull it back like when I was ponytailing. You can see my scalp, its very noticeable especially because I have black hair and a really white scalp. Its mainly on the top but my hairdresser kindly informed me I'm going bald and there are bald patches on the sides which I couldn't see in the mirror. Its been going on for 3 weeks and I've still got clumps of hair coming out every morning and night. I don't even need to brush it for this to happen, just put my fingers through my hair and in one stroke about 10 hairs will come out.

I've been to the doctors and been ordered a blood test to see whats going on. I've had blood tests for PCO, Iron deficiency, B12 deficiency, thyroid tests, some other stuff I can't think of right now. I'm going to get my results on Saturday. The cause may not be the diet of course but the 3 month delay seems to fit. Since It started dropping out I've started taking Floresine tablets (for hair loss) zinc, b complex supplements and started taking extra care with the nutrition in food I consume, focusing on protein, copper, selenium, iron, vitamin B12 + C which seems to be the main ingredients for good healthy hair. Of course its probably going to take another 3 months to come into effect so I'm just hoping the shedding will just stop for now.

Hair loss could also be down to extreme stress. I have been stressed recently having been demoted but its not that bad, I'm secretly 50% pleased with the demotion and the people I get to work with. However the shedding of the hair is extremely distressing and probably worsening the situation. I have been recommended to meditate...

I've written all this matter of factly but the truth is I'm absolutely devastated, my hair was once a source of pride but now I'm embarrassed to go out the house. I cry to myself every single night in the bath looking at my hair in the mirror. (It looks even thinner when its wet!) My weight has also crept up 6 pounds since I stopped.

I guess S&S and VLCDs don't work for some people without causing these kind of side effects. However I also want to state that I have 2 friends who have been on it for longer than me and still going strong who have BUSHY long thick hair. They have both been on it 6 months plus and I'm so jealous of them. So I guess it all comes down to genetic make up etc

Because the weightloss is so good in Ketosis I have considered just going back on and shaving my head completely however I don't think I'd get away with that as a PA in a massive global company in the head office.. lol

Hopefully when my hair grows back (and this isn't the beginning of alopecia) I will be doing a normal sensible eating and exercise diet. xxx

Aww bless you I asked this question on my diary. Will defo watch out for this. Hope ur hair grows back for you soon babes. I've decided if I can stick with this diet and start shedding lots of hair I'll buy myself a wig or something. But tbh. I don't think I could put up with it. Aww hope all your Results come back clear hunny. Take care xxz

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

chi said:

I'm defo having a brazillian blowdry treatment on my head ( not down there) lol. No straighteners or anything I've got bedhead shampoo and conditioner etc. My hairdresser suggested a brazillian blowdry for me and she's gonna keep an eye on my hair. Anyhow. This is only day 1 for me so looking to far ahead. Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you and the amount of stress it is causing you. I really hope that your hair starts growing back soon and the stress can be reduced.

VLCDs can have an effect on hair growth. Effectively what happens is that whilst you are in ketosis your body decides to only use the calories for important things that you need to survive. That's why you get cold - as your extremities are not important compared to your main body from a survival point of view. Your nails will also grow more slowly. In addition your body will slow down or stop growing your hair. This rarely makes a difference whilst you are on the diet as it also halts the shedding of hair. However, when you are eating more calories again it will start to grow hair again and will shed all of the hair which it would have shed whilst you were on the diet. This can lead to some thinning of the hair. New grow will come but it is all new at the same time whereas normally that new growth would be mixed in throughout the period. That means that you may have a lot of very short - or only just started - hair which may be difficult to see at this point in time.

My hair did thin when I upped my calories towards the end of the diet but not to an unmanageable extent. If your hair loss is due to the diet then please take heart that it is likely to be temporary.

My hair definitely thinned about 5 months after starting and the same thing happened at the same time to someone at work who started LL when I started S&S. I can honestly say that it all stopped in 3 - 4 weeks and grew back after that. Take heart that your hair will get back to normal pretty quickly. Just hang in there and try not to worry too much xx

When I did cd and lost nearly five stone it did thin but only so I noticed. It grw back in better condition when I upped my cals.

Back