Safety for ladies when walking or running.!

ive bought a high visabilty running vest, top and bottoms to match it.
might look silly but safety is key, i have to run after work and its dark now when i finish

I know this may not sound easy for running, but I used to work in a hotel, meant 8 hours till all times of the day/night on my own. I used to hide my mobile in my bra if I had to go to a room for any reason. You can also get key ring panic button. I agree with making someone aware of where you're going and give them times etc :) stay safe everyone!

Really helpful post thank you

Great post ,To be honest i havent felt fear when out running or walking and i always go across country,But after reading this i now realise how silly this is .Need to find a buddy and take the dogs more and not have my music on (although i find music motivating) . And do everything i can to stay safe Thanks for this post.

You can buy all in one alarms and defense sprays. Mine makes an ear piercing should, spray a foul oder, and coats the attacker in UV gel.

More and more free self defense classes are popping up so it is worth hitting Google.

I also recommend a light backpack with the following.

A mini first aid kit
A torch
Your phone and a portable charger key that you can pre-charge
A fiver and some 20p coins
A cereal bar
Some water
Flip flops
A towel
Some tissues
And those time of the month essentials.

That is my kit. I dunno if I am running or looking for One eyed Willy's gold.

You can buy all in one alarms and defense sprays. Mine makes an ear piercing should, spray a foul oder, and coats the attacker in UV gel.

More and more free self defense classes are popping up so it is worth hitting Google.

I also recommend a light backpack with the following.

A mini first aid kit
A torch
Your phone and a portable charger key that you can pre-charge
A fiver and some 20p coins
A cereal bar
Some water
Flip flops
A towel
Some tissues
And those time of the month essentials.

That is my kit. I dunno if I am running or looking for One eyed Willy's gold.

going camping lol? all I carry is some loose change in my pocket, phone, door key and water

I do it because I am surrounded by large wooded areas and I am accompanied by a dog who gets himself into lots of trouble. It also provides a bit of resistance and sometimes I like to geocache.

This happened to me last night while walking away from the gym after training.... just wanted to share.

Last night at about 7:30pm, I walked out of my local gym and was walking home. To cut a long story short a woman and a man approached me on the street and I think they were considering to tag-team and rob me.

First the woman tried to distract me, and the woman walked up to me, and said quite loudly to me "look at YOU!". Then she started mocking me by doing these body-builder poses. As she was doign that the man moved to my right about 2 steps behind me (this I hadn't thought of as "serious" at the time as I thought she was probably just a nut case and he was just going to wait for her. How naive I was!). I just smiled at her and was honestly confused. As she did not see any aggression from me she gave up and walked away, shouting from behind me,"you look like a f***ing geezer!"

I was seriously confused by this point. I thought she was probably jealous that I was not stuck with some no good man and did not have a substance abuse problem. In all honesty I was just grateful that she did not knife me.

In hind sight I realised that I might have got robbed and things could have got serious and that is why I am sharing this on here.

I hope you reported it to the police.Even if they can't do anything they will have it on record in case someone does get hurt by them.

Yep. Have already done that.

Sad world we live in though. In my youth I have done just shy of 7 continous years of martial arts, sparring was not my strong point but I am always up for a few "rounds".

Belts and grades aside, what it had ill-prepared me for, was not recognising that in the street people have no rules, hence not recognising the extreme danger that I was in when that man got out of my line of vision.

I guess some things books and syllabuses just don't teach.

This is really great advice, thanks for this! I live in the countryside and feel a little weary about jogging around in country lanes that can be quite isolated.

Such a sad and bad world we live in to have to consider our safety.... I could walk to work via a very beautiful lake walk but hate the isolation of it and feeling vulnerable to any "wrong doers". I have walked to work but go a route that is less isolated and less scenic, there is a short point which is not near houses but is at least on a road that has passing traffic. I choose to walk on the road rather than the bushy red way areas.

I know this is an old thread but I want to add a couple of things:

I'm not a runner but I am a cyclist and safety is the same. When I ride alone I have to have music or I get bored and I know most runners will also have a motivational pace setting play list. My family worried for a long time about me not being able to hear what was going on around me. So recently I invested in a set of Aftershokz Trekz Titanium headphones. They sit on your cheekbones rather than in your ears and use bone conduction to send the music. They are Bluetooth so you can also use them to make and receive calls. The real bonus of these is that you can still hear what's going on around you as your ears are completely unobstructed.

Secondly, there are many tracker apps available like Road ID where you can send tracking information while you are out. With Road ID it has an alarm so that if you are stopped for more than a few minutes without pausing the tracking it will send an alert with location to whoever is tracking you

Back