Safety for ladies when walking or running.!

Thanks for the good advice! I'm desperate to get out and have a good walkabout but there are a few dodgy places around my local park which i don't feel comfortable walking around by myself. I also love to listen to my music but after the advice here i won't be doing that unless im walking on the street.

Also ordered this which is legal in the UK.

TWI FARB GEL SELF PROTECTION DEFENCE SPRAY 100% UK LEGAL: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

whereabouts in London are you. i used to live in East London before i moved to Eastbourne.x

I'm in Ilford, Greater London so not quite the east end...thankfully! :rolleyes:

I walk all the time on my own but with my 3 dogs, I know despite them being placid Golden Retrievers that they would, if they had to, do anything to protect me. I don't think I would feel comfortable walking in rural areas on my own. However, with the dogs I will go anywhere.

you can get an app for iphone. says panic alarm and is sponsored by legal and general. it's really loud. i always take my mobile when i run and i'm bright. hubby know's my route depending on distance. i always choose a run where there's people about.

I've been worrying about this too but I'm a born worrier so thought I was just being silly! I have some lovely places to run with a river and fields on the bright evenings. I love my ipod while running, maybe have one ear in?

I would go one better and have an aerosol of paint, something bright and not easy to wash off.

Thanks for this, I got freaked out yeserday when I was walking to the gym there was a couple of drunk guys. One of them blocked my path, this was about 6pm and still bright out, I was on a busy road so didn't expect anything to happen. Think I will get a personal alarm off the internet.

People are so mean, I swear if you retaliated they would soon call the police. The world is not a safe place sometimes.

If you don't feel safe walking from your home, get a bus/drive to somewhere you do, I have to do this because my area's okay but the bits around it I don't feel safe on, end of, because they're too deserted. I bus past both ways and walk where it feels a lot more civilised and there are open shops + plenty of people around.

Also I highly recommend a book called the Gift Of Fear by Gavin de Becker, it's about knowing which of your feelings regarding personal safety to trust and a load of other stuff, if I try and sum it up I can't do it justice but trust me, it's worth reading, and Amazon usually have it for a few quid.

Afaik the law only take an interest when you carry something, including something very innocent, for the specific purposes of using it as an offensive weapon, so carrying a paint aerosol for example would be hard to explain (it's going to look like you're a graffitti artist!) but any items you'd normally carry with you, are okay to use offensively if you get assaulted. And what your actual intention was in carrying them, well, who's to say...

I remember reading a survey of convicted attackers and they mentioned that one thing they look for is grabbable hair, so a ponytail swishing along as you run might be a bit too inviting, you may do better to fix your hair in tight if it's long. It might be crazy but I have long blonde hair and feel safest walking with my hair up and tucked up in a cap, which basically hides that + my face from some angles, but doesn't cover my ears or impede my own hearing or peripheral vision. I don't carry a mobile in my hand, it's another thing to attract bad folks and yer average rapist isn't likely to let you make a phone call first, like the police do for people they arrest... :eek:

(Edit to add this mentions long hair + things rapists look for: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/49755/how_to_protect_yourself_from_rapists.html ... and that most rapes are committed by someone known to the victim, so bear that in mind if you meet someone you know along the way.)

Last edited:
I go running and I never used to fear the routes because where I live its quite and nothing bad ever really happened. After a few violent and deadly attacks in the area decided that I should be more careful but I have never found a decent personal alarm and my phone is a brick. I did however go get contact lenses and learn to use them as I used to run with no glasses but now I can see what is going on and who is there before I get right up to them. Also always run in bright pink and tell my route to my partner and rough time back.

The other tips were really good I will go looking for an alarm or whistle now thanks everyone :)

Lauren

My boyfriend told me if you're being attacked you should scream out "fire" because most people ignore cries of help or rape.

I don't know about the legality of your country, but you could look for a cue baton. The ones I've seen are a 5-6 inch metal rod, about the thickness of your thumb, with a pointy nub at the end. It's heavy, so you could throw it or hit someone, but the main use is to jab into the solar plexus. It's not (as far as I know) lethal, but it's definitely a deterrent. My husband had one and I attached it to my keys as I ran and kept it nearby.

You could always see if your police force do a course on self defence.. I remember when I used to go to college in a not so nice area the police came in an issued us all with personal attack alarms and showed us how to use our keys as a weapon should we need them... Our local police do it also they've given me loads of goodies to protect my house and a cute little personal attack alarm that goes on my keys and it's just a little heart and it was free! I used to be on the residents association so know there are these things available our whole estate got them :)

yeah, my area isn't the nicest, but i've grown up there (i'm 16) so it's not really scary for me. i think i should be a little more cautious though, i may get a rape alarm, thanks! :) xxx

A little trick a friend of mine, who works as a prison guard in the US taught me. Take your keys and put them inside your palm, then put one key out between each finger so that they point forward, a bit like Wolferine in X-men, and clinch your fist. This will give you a fantastic self defence weapon if you get attacked. He also added that aiming for the eyes was a good bet. This simple trick applies in any scenario when a person is on his/her own as most of us carry our keys with us .

Back