saggy skin

Saggy skin is one of those individual things and depends on lots of factors ... how overweight you are and for how long, genetics, age etc

Once skin has lost its elasticity, there's not much that can help it (short of a surgeon's knife) BUT the big factor on how saggy it'll ultimately be is time.

If you lose weight slowly, you give your skin a bit of time to shrink back AS you're losing weight. That doesn't mean to say it won't shrink back EXACTLY the same amount when you lose weight quickly... it just may be more obvious for a little longer because you lost the fat beneath it faster.

I've heard that it's best to give your body about a year AFTER you reach goal to assess how much sagginess is left because it'll take that long for it to pull back as far as it's going to.

A dermatologist on a major tv makeover show said to give skin six months to 'snap back'. At the end of this time, if it hasn't, it ain't gonna.

Sobering news!

But I totally agree - skin sag/stretch marks are individual. Age, individual skin elasticity, perhaps even general health all figure in this equation. My tummy, thighs and bottom are dimpled, saggy and hanging. That's what often happens after a huge weight loss. I KNOW that neither extra exercise, nor rub-in creams, nor wishful thinking, will solve the problem.

Hmmm, thanks. The reason I asked is because I was thinking am I likely to get more saggy skin on the CD (as its lost quickly) than on Weight Watchers (as its slow.)

Ultimately, six months after you reach goal you'll probably be the same regardless of whether you lose it fast or slow.

You only have to think of a deflated balloon ... once the air is gone, it has the same amount of wrinkles whether you let the air out all at once or leaked it out slowly.

I have lost over 7 stones so far and have no saggy skin!

They get saggy skin on gastric bypass because of the lack of nutrition - CD is fully nutritious therefore we don't get the problems.

I have lost over 7 stones so far and have no saggy skin!

They get saggy skin on gastric bypass because of the lack of nutrition - CD is fully nutritious therefore we don't get the problems.

Wish I could agree STBG - but when I lost 6st FAST on CD in 2006 my stomach looked like a sharpei!
And when I lost 6st SLOW on Rosemary Conley in 2002, my stomach looked like a sharpei.

It's down to elasticity and at 46 and after having had 5 kids and being obese for twenty years - the elasticity on my tummy is shot to pieces.
Having said that, I'd rather have a bit of sagging then a tummy that buddha would be proud of!

Great that you haven't got any loose skin by the way :)

I have a saggy stomach and dimply thighs as well and it depresses me a lot but I would agree with you Russiandoll..would rather have that than a buddha stomach :D :D :D I think once I have reached my target weight I will get some sort of tummy tuck to get the skin removed *grin*

Totally agree with what has been said it's all down to the individual we are all different. Also I would rather have a saggy belly than a fat one.

Back