Salads - how do you eat yours?!?

I bulk mine up by making home made potato salad, and adding things like radishes and pickles and a boiled egg.

If i have meat i'll not use any dressing, but if i have prawns i use the kraft low fat thousand island dressing.

I know i cant eat it if its too big chopped up!...i tend to cut up all my stuff small, lettuce, toms, celery, cucumber, spring onions, radish, peppers, what evers free i have!..i then chop up chicken andd a few croutons (synd, and my cheese synd!)....i then have it and afterwards have a mixed fruit salad too. even better the whole family have it! x

I got some rocket at the supermarket yesterday, and they also had pea shoots, which I have not had before, so I am going to put them together in a salad with a sliced orange pepper, and some nice tomatoes which were one of Aldi's 69p offerings today. Probably some hard-boiled eggs too.

If ever in the need for inspiration, go have a peek at your nearest salad bar (in a supermarket). Imagine what you would fill your bowl with, and try to create an SW version at home...

Successes from this method include:

low fat potato salads - spring onions, chives, yog / vlf mayo, diced egg
diced cucumber, red onion, cherry toms with or without feta cheese for a greek salad style ..
couscous with moroccan spices and grilled peppers
sweetcorn and chopped pepper mixed with ff vinegarette
lots of pasta salads
grated carrot mixed with dressing
chickpea / red onion mix

I have salad for lunch most work days. It's usually a hit and miss mix of whatever I have in the fridge! I use up lots of leftovers in my salads e.g. potatoes, tofu, rice. When my salad box in fridge looks empty I have a look online to see what is on offer at Morrisons/Aldi/Lidl/Tesco etc and buy the best value things from the shop

I live on my own and I never can be bothered to make a salad every night so I tend to make a big one on a Sunday which lasts 3 days and then re-make on Weds night for next 2 days. This is just the salady bits and then I add extra to it as the week goes on.

This week I have cooked a big pan of pasta so will have pasta salad with mixed leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, sweetcorn, canellini beans and hard boiled egg. Topped with Hellmans fat free vinegarette. Sometimes I pack the egg separate so I can had it as a snack whenever rather than with lunch.

Sometimes I do rice or couscous instead of the pasta. I find tins of various beans make great additions to a salad.

A good tip is to have lots of tupperware to store the leftovers in and then add to the salady mix whatever takes your fancy.

When I'm feeling very lazy I just chop celery, carrots, cucumber and peppers into crudites, store in water overnight, and then drain and take in the next day for work.

HTH

x

i know this has been covered around a trillion times before here but can someone give me a recipe for syn free huommus and can someone confirm whether it is free on orginal?

Thanks!!

I love my salads!
I have chopped curly leaf lettuce, rocket, watercress, spring onion, red onion and chopped mint and chives. I love cold roasted peppers and tomatoes with a laughing cow triangle to go with it!!!
(looking forward to lunchtime now :-D)

I have lettuce, rocket, tomato, cucumber, onion, pepper, grated carrot and radishes, and I just drizzle some Hellmans Fat Free Vingarette dressing over it (syn free)....

Just had a LUSH salad for lunch! Lettuce, pear, boiled eggs and a mixture of low fat cheddar and stilton, plus 2tbsp mayo for 1 syn.

Back