Salmon?!

Cazzie26

Hi All.. I am new to this and am sticking to mostly red days. I am a huge fan of salmon which is free but does anyone else not think it is a bit too high in fat and calories to be eaten too often?! I have loads in the freezer but am a bit worried about eating it. Does anyone have any experiences or advice to share?

I dont do red or eat much salmon. But IMO free is free. As long as you are following plan 100% and eating a variety of food i would enjoy eating the salmon when you want to! Eggs are high in fat but also a free food, i eat them a good few times a week. Most foods on SW are fat free and our bodies need fat to function xx

I eat it about 3 times a week - never found it affect my losses.

On a red day i sometimes have 2 fillets with my salad :)

I eat it about 3 times a week - never found it affect my losses.

On a red day i sometimes have 2 fillets with my salad :)

Sometimes?!! I always have 2! Just one of those little fillets on it's own with just salad just is nowhere near enough. Thank goodness for Tesco 3 for £10 offer!

Thanks everyone for the replies - am sure it will be fine but probably best not to have it EVERY night! Is just so yum!

Cazzie26 said:
Sometimes?!! I always have 2! Just one of those little fillets on it's own with just salad just is nowhere near enough. Thank goodness for Tesco 3 for £10 offer!

Thanks everyone for the replies - am sure it will be fine but probably best not to have it EVERY night! Is just so yum!

Sainsburys are doing a pack of 4 for a fiver at the mo!

I love it marinaded in soy sauce, ginger and garlic, then grilled. Lovely served with a big load of stir fry veggies. Yum.

OH going off for a long weekend. I think I'm going to treat myself to a fishy weekend.

I love fresh salmon. Yum yum! I spread it with crushed garlic, chopped chillis, spring onions and ginger (if I have some), season with pepper, pour over soy sauce, bake in a tin foil parcel. Or I make the Thai salmon burgers on here:)

Salmon is a good source of omega fats, which are good for you. Also, you need some fat in your diet to be healthy.

Personally, I also find that salmon is very filling and would eat less of it than I would chicken, for instance.

And if SW says it is free then it is free!

Remember, folks, that there are guidelines for good health when it comes to oily fish - these are the FSA recommended amounts per week:

Recommended consumption
Fish oils are known to reduce the risk of heart disease, but pollutants build up in fish fat, carrying a risk of cancer. The Food Standards Agency's new guidelines are that people should generally eat more oily fish, but they also set upper limits for the first time. There is no limit on white fish

Girls (under 16)
Oily fish: Up to 2 portions* a week
Tuna**: Up to 2 portions if fresh or frozen. No limit on tinned
Marlin, shark, swordfish: Do not eat

Boys (under 16)
Oily fish: Up to 4 portions a week
Tuna**: Up to 4 portions if fresh or frozen. No limit on tinned

Pregnant women and those who may become pregnant
Oily fish: Up to 2 portions a week
Tuna**: Up to 2 tuna steaks a week or four medium-sized cans

Breastfeeding women
Oily fish: Up to 2 portions a week
Marlin, shark, swordfish: No more than a portion a week

Women who are not intending to, or can't, become pregnant

Men

* Portion = 140g ** Fresh tuna counts as oily fish; tinned tuna counts as white fish because the oils are lost in the canning process

Jesus if you listen to it all the food advice you'd never eat anything except lettuce (though i did hear that was carcengenic as well)

Whats so wrong with Marlin and swordfish btw? Ate loads of both on holiday and am still here :)

I absolutely love salmon but OH has never been keen on it. However, he was away with work last week and as the menu in the hotel was non-SW friendly, the only thing on there remotely good was salmon so he plumped for that. And has now decided that he likes it!

So, just to test the theory, Monday night (as we'd not taken anything out of the freezer for dinner) I picked up some fillets on my way home and cooked them with lemon juice, black peper, soy sauce and chopped ginger... and he loved them! Hurrah! No longer do I have to only have salmon while he is away or with my lunches!

Whats so wrong with Marlin and swordfish btw? Ate loads of both on holiday and am still here :)

They allegedly contain high levels of mercury, but then so does tuna apparently.

Marlin, swordfish and shark are supposed to be the ones with the highest levels though.

Jesus if you listen to it all the food advice you'd never eat anything except lettuce (though i did hear that was carcengenic as well)

They allegedly contain high levels of mercury, but then so does tuna apparently.

Marlin, swordfish and shark are supposed to be the ones with the highest levels though.

Yes, as kittenkat says, oily fish contain mercury - some fish (marlin, swordfish etc.) more so.

Sorry, I didn't post that to scare people - but they are the FSA guidelines, rather than a Daily Mail scare story ;) It's good to be aware of them - particularly if you're pregnant or trying for a baby, as mercury can cause serious birth defects.

So I can have 2 portions a week before I want to have babies and then 4 a week after I've finished bearing children. Apparently, I can't have brie whilst pregnant either. They're not really selling the whole "having kids" thing to me!

I don't like most fish much anyway but adore smoked salmon. I eat that about twice a week. I'm not big on presentation which is just as well because I buy the packets of trimmings for a quid and slop them on my plate!

I also made the Smoked Salmon pate out of last months magazine, I halved the receipe because it was only for me and it lasted me 3 days. It was AMAZING!!

who_la_hoop said:
Yes, as kittenkat says, oily fish contain mercury - some fish (marlin, swordfish etc.) more so.

Sorry, I didn't post that to scare people - but they are the FSA guidelines, rather than a Daily Mail scare story ;) It's good to be aware of them - particularly if you're pregnant or trying for a baby, as mercury can cause serious birth defects.

No - don't worry! It was more exasperation at the fact that by making a 'good' choice (i.e. Oily fishcos its good for ypu) you could still end up making a bad choice for a whole load of different reasons!

Back